• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    It has shell plates and dies for several pistol calibers and .223/5.56, as well as two conversion set ups.
    It was all still in package, unopened.
    I am going to begin with rifle cartridges, my choices being .204 Ruger, 5.56, .308, and .300 Blackout.
    I need advice on what reloading handbooks are best to start with for the rifle rounds, and what for the handguns.
    At present it is for bench shooting, but hunting with the rifles is not out of the question, either.
    I scanned thru the various threads, and about all that managed to do is confuse me.
    So, let's start with the rifle stuff.
    I will probably be using Hornady and Sierra Bullets. What powder is best in a Progressive press?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I'd start with 223. Plenty of good metering powders. Pretty much any ball powder will meter well. Ramshot TAC is good a choice and seems to be available these days. Also works for 308. Small short stick powders also do well in the Dillon measures.

The Ramshot/Western guide has a nice little write up about things to be aware of.
    chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB-1.pdf

People tend to overcomplicate and control parameters that ultimately don't matter. In particular, being super precise about powder charges and then proceeding to only shoot at 100 yards.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Get some of the "all-in-one Loadbooks" for whatever caliber you want to begin with!
    They're the opposite of most manufacturers books which list many calibers with their preferred materials.
    Instead they're caliber-specific & hold data from many powder, bullet & brass manufacturers.
    If you also want a "how to reload book" then I like either the Hornady or the Sierra, or preferably both. Comparing different test results is a major key in working up your own loads.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Dillon Precision has a Youtube channel. Content appears to be professionally done. Likely a good source.

ETA: Yeah that video is good.

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I saw that you are wanting to get started with the rifle rounds but I would suggest starting with pistol rounds first. With carbide sizers, you don't have to putz with case lube. You will also not have to trim pistol cases often, if at all.

If you are dead set on starting with rifle, get a buttload of 223 brass (its cheap so when you screw up you won't be very upset). For dillon progressives (between my friend and I, we have 3 650/750 class units and 4 SDBs) I find best metering consistency with ball powders. I like h335 and blc2 for blasting ammo. TAC is popular for good reason but I haven't worked with it personally.

Lee modern reloading is a good starter manual with lots of information. Very broad choices for powders as their data is "aggregated"
    i find myself reaching for my nosler manuals or the berger manual the most on rifle stuff.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    One of my favorite books is the Hornady reloading manual.

Another reference I use a lot is the Hodgdon "Take Aim" online reloading guide.

I don’t know that we have ever compared notes, but I do the same.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    It has shell plates and dies for several pistol calibers and .223/5.56, as well as two conversion set ups.
    It was all still in package, unopened.
    I am going to begin with rifle cartridges, my choices being .204 Ruger, 5.56, .308, and .300 Blackout.
    I need advice on what reloading handbooks are best to start with for the rifle rounds, and what for the handguns.
    At present it is for bench shooting, but hunting with the rifles is not out of the question, either.
    I scanned thru the various threads, and about all that managed to do is confuse me.
    So, let's start with the rifle stuff.
    I will probably be using Hornady and Sierra Bullets. What powder is best in a Progressive press?

Hornady and Sierra manuals are both good choices in that they will provide data for 2 of the bullet brands that you'll find most commonly in stock at places that sell reloading supplies.

Ball powders will shine in the metering department.

As a hunter, your concern isn't merely about putting a bullet precisely on target. It also involves the terminal ballistics of what happens on target once that bullet arrives. You can choose from a wide variety of task specific bullets, and develop and tailor loads with both precision and bullet performance in mind.

Good Luck with your new hobby!

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Hornady and Sierra manuals are both good choices in that they will provide data for 2 of the bullet brands that you'll find most commonly in stock at places that sell reloading supplies.

Ball powders will shine in the metering department.

As a hunter, your concern isn't merely about putting a bullet precisely on target. It also involves the terminal ballistics of what happens on target once that bullet arrives. You can choose from a wide variety of task specific bullets, and develop and tailor loads with both precision and bullet performance in mind.

Good Luck with your new hobby!
    You can expect me to lurk here in Reloading mostly.
    I'll occasionally ask a question, but this forum is going to be my classroom.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Get some of the "all-in-one Loadbooks" for whatever caliber you want to begin with!
    They're the opposite of most manufacturers books which list many calibers with their preferred materials.
    Instead they're caliber-specific & hold data from many powder, bullet & brass manufacturers.
    If you also want a "how to reload book" then I like either the Hornady or the Sierra, or preferably both. Comparing different test results is a major key in working up your own loads.
    The data in the one book, one caliber books is horribly out of date. I wouldn't use those at all.

The OP needs to go and get the current Lyman, Hornady, Sierra manuals to start with. Also using the Hodgdon, Nosler, Alliant, etc... reloading websites. The data is out there, sometimes for free from the manufacturers on the web. If you call them up, they will give you specific load data over the phone. I've been emailed PDF's from Sierra with new, not yet released on their website, load data for a caliber I have, just because I called them. About a week later they put the same PDF up for free on their website.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The data in the one book, one caliber books is horribly out of date. I wouldn't use those at all.

The OP needs to go and get the current Lyman, Hornady, Sierra manuals to start with. Also using the Hodgdon, Nosler, Alliant, etc... reloading websites. The data is out there, sometimes for free from the manufacturers on the web. If you call them up, they will give you specific load data over the phone. I've been emailed PDF's from Sierra with new, not yet released on their website, load data for a caliber I have, just because I called them. About a week later they put the same PDF up for free on their website.
    ^^^This^^^

Another thing I'm learning about Dillons are the caliber conversion kits. The OP mentions wanting to do both .223/5.56 and .300AAC/.300 Blackout. Most of the conversion kit parts for those are the same thing. If the OP gets a .223 conversion kit, to add .300AAC he might just need to change the powder drop to .300AAC. (Obvious .300AAC dies aside)
    The conversion kits aren't cheap. Just the swap mentioned above might save the OP $100.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Another thing I'm learning about Dillons are the caliber conversion kits. The OP mentions wanting to do both .223/5.56 and .300AAC/.300 Blackout. Most of the conversion kit parts for those are the same thing. If the OP gets a .223 conversion kit, to add .300AAC he might just need to change the powder drop to .300AAC. (Obvious .300AAC dies aside)
    The conversion kits aren't cheap. Just the swap mentioned above might save the OP $100.
    I'm trying to remember back; isn't there a better powder drop for 300 blk than the designated one? Maybe a 30-30 funnel or .30 carbine. I'll look it up when I get a chance next week. I believe the difference is, the one I'm using flares the brass, which is ideal for loading flat base bullets(as in subs) and PC bullets.

ETA: Yes, found it(easier than I thought), he will need the Dillon 13564 funnel "C" Bench 1B for .30 carbine flaring/300 Blk.

***do not get the 13015 funnel***

Last edited:

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I’ll add or emphasize that you might just need a different shell plate or index pins for a different caliber. Always check before considering a new ‘full’ caliber conversion kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom