• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Im assuming theres a few of you on here that use gopros. Im looking to pick one up on black Friday or cyber Monday but im not sure which model I should go after. I think it would be pretty neat to have videos of hunts and fishing trips. Thoughts?

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Best one out right now is the hero 4 black. It's normally $400.00. I put one right behind the pit when goose hunting and have gotten some pretty good shots. The biggest problem I have is that the effective range is pretty short. Anything past 100 yards is pretty darn small.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Best one out right now is the hero 4 black. It's normally $400.00. I put one right behind the pit when goose hunting and have gotten some pretty good shots. The biggest problem I have is that the effective range is pretty short. Anything past 100 yards is pretty darn small.

Can you post any of your still images or short vids here? I've been considering one for this exact purpose.

Ericw

Feb 28, 2012
    Greencastle, PA
    FWIW the old HeroHDs can be had on ebay for $100 or less. They don't have wifi connectivity with your phone or anything fancy but they still do 720p and 60fps which is all you need in my opinion unless you're getting paid. You can also buy or make wired switches for remote start/stop.

I don't use it for hunting but here is one of my videos: https://youtu.be/k6cvaoW8yKM (be sure to select HD)

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    real happy with the new, small Hero Session. clips to the bill of my baseball cap and has worked great to tape my uspsa, 3 gun etc shooting. I also have sony action cam which I mount to the top of my earpro but it's a little heavier and during movement it can sometimes move my muffs a little.

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a Hero3 and it hasn't been that impressive. It's finnicky turning off and on. The device also bricked itself once and had to be returned under warranty. It was replaced, but took 6 weeks. Maybe I got one from a bad batch. At least look at other products first if you can.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    The WiFi connectivity via smartphone or iPad app is invaluable to me. I can set the camera up remotely in some pretty odd places, frame up the shot using preview, then when its need you call it to action just by waking up the app.

You can even power the unit on/off remotely to save on battery when using it in a longer session.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Bought my kid one in august for my kids birthday. Got it from Adorama camera, go tons of accessories, and the 12mp for like 300.

One advice, get the one with the lcd screen in the back. I didnt but worth the extra 50 dollars or so.

bojaydk

Oct 2, 2011
    Crownsville, MD
    I think it really depends on what you are shooting. I bought one to shoot my deer hunts, usually from a tree stand. I'm still working through the different shot settings to find the best one to use. So far I've learned that deer look pretty darn small even at 15 yards away. My opinion as it stands right now is this not the best device to film a deer hunt. The gopro is made for wide angle shots, which are not necessary for deer hunting, unless maybe you are on the ground or doing a drive. The wide angle means that anything further than 20 yards will be small, especially if you are trying to see shot placement.

With that being said, it's great for fishing. Also, I've attached it to my kid going down water slides, sledding, etc...and it works great for all of that. But if you are using it mostly for hunting, I'd suggest finding another camera.

Unless someone else can tell me what shot setting they are using to get better results?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Might consider the JVC Adixxiom also. I have the older GC-XA1. It does 1080P/30 and 720P/60, has a built in 1.5" monitor screen, Quad-proof meaning dust, shock, and freezing protected and waterproof to 16". Also has some WiFi capability. I think they are sell on Amazon sometimes as low as $150.
    Newest is the GC-XA2 which does 1080P/60, 8MP/16MP stills, 1.5" screen bumped to 115k pixels, WiFi directly to Youtube if near a hot spot, List is $299 but on Amazon they go for around $235.

http://adixxion.jvc.com/

I have a bunch of video clips from this years PA State SC match I have not gotten around to processing as yet.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Those are actually Dakotas. They move real nice and are heavy enough that they don't blow over even in really high winds

Ah, very similar. We have all Bigfoot, a few of the Magnums. Had Avery FFA's beginning of last year, hassle to deal with the stands.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    On the big Dakotas, the stand can be locked into the decoy so they don't move. Works great for transporting and then you can unlock them so they move when you are out in the field. I'm not a fan of the Avery's. I've seen them blow off the stand in higher winds

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom