• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Finally finished with some load development for my NM service rifle. The load is a Hornady 75gr BTHP with Winchester 748, shot real good off the bench at 100 yards. Now to load some more and start practicing offhand, sitting and prone and see how the load does.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What service allows their soldiers, airmen, marines or sailors to use their own reloads in their service rifles?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    What service allows their soldiers, airmen, marines or sailors to use their own reloads in their service rifles?

assclown_great_question.jpg

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    You are. SF doesn't do handloads. :lol2:

Depending on which family in the SOF community, they'll use anything from standard green-tip M855 to 77-grain Mk262 style awesomeness.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They do not use reloads. But they may use special loads, not available to or used by most troops, from non-standard ammunition suppliers.

Sort of a commercial version of handloads.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Fantastic group, Marauder!!
    As you did, I interpreted Blaster 229's post as him inferring that "service rifle" refers to the rifle assigned a member of the armed forces rather than the competitive classification Service Rifle in which anyone who owns a stock M1, M14 (M1A), or M16 (AR15) meeting the rules in the CMP reference above can compete (and load their own ammo).
    I do seem to recall a show on Marine sniper students loading their own.
    DocAitch

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    " Now to load some more and start practicing offhand, sitting and prone and see how the load does. "

This is how I final test a load that does well in development testing. I figure if its going where I'm calling and still grouping well its a keeper. Gotta shoot it the way you use it.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    748 has been my go to powder for .223 for many years. That stuff throws remarkably well too. Good powder for volume reloading, but it always seems to print on paper well too.

Yeah, I've been finding out how well 748 is. Now I need to find some more.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Fantastic group, Marauder!!
    As you did, I interpreted Blaster 229's post as him inferring that "service rifle" refers to the rifle assigned a member of the armed forces rather than the competitive classification Service Rifle in which anyone who owns a stock M1, M14 (M1A), or M16 (AR15) meeting the rules in the CMP reference above can compete (and load their own ammo).
    I do seem to recall a show on Marine sniper students loading their own.
    DocAitch

I gave Mr. Blaster a link to figure that out! But you explained it well.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom