• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    So I just picked up a new S&W M&P15 Sport. I have never really loaded for an AR before (but have about 7 other calibers I reload for) and was curious what y'alls favorite Ar-15 load is? I am looking for something simples such as a FMJ. I want to crank out a few thousand rounds on my progressive press.

Thanks!

ArneJ

Feb 16, 2012
    Bel Air
    I'm still working on loads for my AR. Looks like a load with TAC powder and Hornady 55 gr. FMJ-BT bullets can push 3000 FPS from a carbine. Need more range time to find the sweet spot though. TAC is a ball powder so should flow well for powder drops and the Ramshot reloading guide is online. I'm also looking to load for volume on a progressive once the load gets finalized.

Arne

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm not sure I'd want to get past the low 2800 fps mark thru a carbine.

I have gotten 60gr V-max's up to 2907-2915 fps thru a 16" on H335, but it ultimately cost me a bolt and firing pin, mainly due to me not knowing the signs of over-pressure. :o

Haven't chrony'd the last batch, but I'm no longer pushing the envelope on how hot I can load something - I consider my 60gr experiments to be quite lucky, in that I didn't trash my rifle completely.

Develop your own load, and work it up safely - it's better than taking someone else's load and playing the odds. ;)

tonyw

Feb 8, 2010
    AACo
    I run 27.2gr BLC2 behind a 55gr fmj and it's not bad. I can't remember the exact speeds it was running at but I had them posted here because they were below the manual. I still have to test it with the 50gr I'll be working up a load with h335 next.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I run H-335 and Sierra MatchKing 69 gr BTHP through my AR-HBAR.

The powder charge is pretty close to maximum, according to the Sierra loading manual. (They list 23.8 grains @ 2,700 fps as maximum!)
    For that reason, I'll just say that my load is between the listed 2600 and 2700 fps charge(s).

Please read, understand and follow safe loading practices and recipes.

Accuracy is REALLY good with this load, out of my rifle and several other rifles that have used this recipe. (My loads, actually!)

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I use 25gr of H335 with a 55gr FMJBT from Ranier bullets.

Suits me just fine, and nary a hiccup. In fact, my AR has never shot anything but my loads through it.

Once I'm done with this thousand, I believe I will try a slightly heavier bullet.

Only caveat with H335 is my load manual (Speers) recommends a magnum primer.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    For plinking ammo, 25.5 grs of Varget behind bulk 55 gr mil-spec pills is very accurate an all my AR's.

ArneJ

Feb 16, 2012
    Bel Air
    I'm not sure I'd want to get past the low 2800 fps mark thru a carbine.

I have gotten 60gr V-max's up to 2907-2915 fps thru a 16" on H335, but it ultimately cost me a bolt and firing pin, mainly due to me not knowing the signs of over-pressure. :o

Haven't chrony'd the last batch, but I'm no longer pushing the envelope on how hot I can load something - I consider my 60gr experiments to be quite lucky, in that I didn't trash my rifle completely.

Develop your own load, and work it up safely - it's better than taking someone else's load and playing the odds. ;)
    Yes, at 3000 FPS that's pretty much the max load when compensating for the 16" barrel (~ 9% reduction per Ramshot) from reloading data using 24" barrels and at .223 rather than 5.56 max pressures. Definitely seeing pressure signs above that velocity even though the gun has a MIL SPEC chamber. Going to try to find a load with the best accuracy working down from the gun's apparent maximum. Interestingly, with 55 gr. PMC X-TAC loads my mid-carbine also runs right around 3000 FPS, assuming that my chronograph is pretty accurate.

Looking at the Hodgdon 2011 manual your 60 gr. V-MAX load should max out at 3075 FPS with a 24" barrel, or about 2800 FPS in a 16" barrel, so 2900+ FPS definitely seems a bit too hot. I only shot a handful of rounds just above what I later determined to be my gun's working maximum, so hopefully didn't cause any future problems. It was tough to tell any differences in the brass while at the range, but at home with good light and a magnifying glass it became apparent where the pressure was starting spike. I label all my brass with a Sharpie to be able to sort things out later at home.

Definitely good advice to work up loads safely and not take other's reloading data at face value. That's why I didn't give specifics beyond bullet and powder type - too many variables - to assume my gun's apparent maximum is safe for other guns. Lower power loads wouldn't be nearly as angst inducing.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I learned my lesson's the hard way (as is my style it seems).

My mistake was trusting one source for my load data, and not knowing the signs. I fired maybe 160 rounds before I finally figured it out.

Jul 11, 2012
    Freeland,MD
    AR load

I load 24 grains of Hodgdons 322 and a 55 gr. pointed soft point.
    I'm getting 3/8" average groups at 50 yds and 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I shoot a Colt match H Bar with 1 in 9 twist. Consistantly hit 4" steel plates at 210 yds.

I'm currently developing a varmint load using 60 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, H335, and once fired Hornady brass. Lightly crimped. I haven't shot any yet -- I was shooting my .308 load yesterday, which I'm very happy with.

I'd stick with ball or very fine extruded powders on the progressive.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What are the pressure signs other than flat primers?

Hard extraction can be one.

There's probably more out there, but I mainly go off my primer's. CCI SR primer's will show signs of pressure pretty quickly - even at mid-range load pressures, at least in my experiences anyways. CCI's #41 primer does better when your towards the upper half of the load data, again - in my own experiences anyways.

Uncle Krunkle

Sep 29, 2010
    Yea, My CCI #400 flatten at max or near loads with my ARs. I'm going to try Rem 7 1/2 and see how they are. Is it safe to reload with that brass, the brass that was max or near max that flattened the primers? I set it aside. It's twice fired LC brass. I figured I would load some med-speed 55gr with it.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If the primer's seat (too) easily, I'd keep tabs on it - from what I understand, high pressure can open up the primer pockets, which could lead to gas etching if the gas is blowing by.

After my misadventures in AR reloading, if something doesn't feel or look right, I set it aside and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom