• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    My buddy is arguing with me that the slide on a glock is only supposed to be released by sling shotting it. His slide release is so.stiff it takes two fingers and a bizarre hold to.get it.to.release and on mine it's a simple flick of the thunb. Opinions?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've seen them more as a lock then a release, Glock and M&P's with the shorter/ kinda stubby lock's, slingshot 'em. Other's with more meat to them - USP's, HP's, 1911's, etc. - I use them as a lock/release.

That's just me though.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    When it's locked back, I usually pull the slide back and let it ride home. I rarely use the slide stop.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    Slingshotting it is the proper one way.

Fixed.

If you want to do it the slow way, go right ahead.

If you need more leverage, your weak hand on the bottom of the magazine you just inserted pushing up will achieve it.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Fixed.

If you want to do it the slow way, go right ahead.

If you need more leverage, your weak hand on the bottom of the magazine you just inserted pushing up will achieve it.

It also brings you off target more and takes you out of the proper two hand shooting grip.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    I usually just use my thumb to release the lock lever. Easier to stay on target and gun is already pointed in the right direct and I dont have to change stance or where my hands are. If the lever can hold up to the slide slamming into it when the last round is fired I seriously doubt that me bumping it down with my thumb to release the slide is going to hurt it. I have a Glock 22

atreeves

Apr 6, 2011
    Depending on how fast I need to bring the gun to ready I will do either. Quite frankly, when the slide locks from an empty mag and you ram a fresh mag into her, she'll chamber and make ready anyways.

When I DO manually release the slide using both hands, I do it hand over-top of the slide, gripping the sides. Slingshotting I invision pulling the slide back with your index & thumb from the rear w/ the weapon pointed down range.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My buddy is arguing with me that the slide on a glock is only supposed to be released by sling shotting it. His slide release is so.stiff it takes two fingers and a bizarre hold to.get it.to.release and on mine it's a simple flick of the thunb. Opinions?

He is correct. Slingshotting a Glock is the proper way to release the slide. The tab can be used to release once it wears in, but it can lead to the gun not going into battery if fouled. When you slingshot the gun you impart more force to force the gun in battery.

Some guns with slide mounted safeties are not a great platform to slingshot because you can trip the slide mounted safety.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    This solved it for me. Glock factory extended slide release :thumbsup:

Attachments

• release.jpeg
      release.jpeg
      3.7 KB · Views: 174

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i have the extended slide releases on my glocks and always use those to bring into battery after mag changes. this lets me get my support hand on the gun quicker.

when first loading the gun i will do the slingshot.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Depending on how fast I need to bring the gun to ready I will do either. Quite frankly, when the slide locks from an empty mag and you ram a fresh mag into her, she'll chamber and make ready anyways.

When I DO manually release the slide using both hands, I do it hand over-top of the slide, gripping the sides. Slingshotting I invision pulling the slide back with your index & thumb from the rear w/ the weapon pointed down range.

Yup, after reading here that the slide will release if the mag is inserted a little harder I tried it and it only took a little more than I was giving it anyway. Haven't had it not chamber a round yet either.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    If your Glock is so fouled that you need the extra couple millimeters of spring travel to go into battery, shouldn't you have cleaned it after the first 1000 rounds?

Apart from endurance testing, I can think of no scenario likely enough to cause a person to train using an otherwise inferior method.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I've heard people say slingshotting the slide is the only correct way, but I think that's only because their favorite gun has a tiny slide release. Using the slide release is much faster for me, and I can get back on target a little quicker.

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Slingshotting it is the proper way. The lever is a slide stop, not a slide release. That doesn't mean it can't be done.

I completely agree. This is the way Glock originally designed the slide stop. To be just that, a slide STOP. Not a slide release. BUT, that doesn't mean the slide can't be released by pushing down on the slide stop. It works, and the use of an extended slide stop makes it even easier.

But personally, I use the slingshot method.

Tanker_Super

Gun Nut
    Aug 1, 2010
    Quoted from the following manual:
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE
    GLOCK SAFE ACTION PISTOLS
    ALL MODELS
    Rev.03/10
    page 23 - LOADING AND FIRING
    step 4

"Insert a new magazine and then either push the slide stop lever (27) downward (see photo 2), or pull the slide slightly backward and allow it to spring forward." (Bold and underline added for emphasis.)

It seems to me that according to the manufacturer, either way is how the weapon is placed into battery.

Just my .02 cents.

usmcdad

May 15, 2010
    IMHO - fooling at the range, doesn't really matter I guess. But I was taught when you release using the stop you just put wear on the edge that was not meant to be there.

Also seems that in worst case scenario, in times of stovepipes and 2feeds, the.discipline needed to quickly clear.the problem and get operational again requires racking the slide and not just releasing the stop, so why not practice it.

Agree with other post - palm over top, not using thumb and finger to rack, primarily because palming it keeps pistol close to your body and awY from ponential threats. feels also like I have better muzzle control palming it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom