• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I have the opportunity to obtain a Glock. I read a bunch of the Glock threads here and on other forums. Based on what I read here I am probably going to eliminate the compensated model. I probably will opt for night sights and the lighter trigger. I do not have a specific use for this firearm yet. Since we cannot carry in MD, I do not need a CCW. I do have several other CCW's for when I travel out of state with my Utah permit. I'm thinking a low level competition, range shooter or plinker.
    I also read here that that the mdl 19 is a good choice. I haven't made a choice on caliber yet but am leaning toward 9 or 45. Not sure if I want to pay higher prices for 40, 357 or 10.
    Also read about potential problems with Gen4. I heard at the GSSF match that they might go with a lighter spring. Are there any real problems with Gen4?
    I know very little about Glocks. Any information that you might share will be greatly appreciated.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I did a lot of research before buying the G34 gen 3. IMHO if not intended for carry than this is the best Glock there is in 9mm.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I shot in the middle station of the 5 to Gock on Saturday morning. I was standing there when the tent blew away and then got staked in.

bdr2012

Sep 10, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Go to Gun Connection, or other local gun shop and handle the G19 and G17 (both 9mm). I know Dan has some Gen4's as well. I have a Gen3 G19, and in my opinion, it's one of the most versatile and well rounded Glock. Not meaning it's the best Glock by any means, just that it seems to be the choice that fits most new Glock buyers. It was my first and I have a list of other GLocks I now want, but I love my G19 and will never give it up.

Just my 2 cents....

Brian

I have the opportunity to obtain a Glock. I read a bunch of the Glock threads here and on other forums. Based on what I read here I am probably going to eliminate the compensated model. I probably will opt for night sights and the lighter trigger. I do not have a specific use for this firearm yet. Since we cannot carry in MD, I do not need a CCW. I do have several other CCW's for when I travel out of state with my Utah permit. I'm thinking a low level competition, range shooter or plinker.
    I also read here that that the mdl 19 is a good choice. I haven't made a choice on caliber yet but am leaning toward 9 or 45. Not sure if I want to pay higher prices for 40, 357 or 10.
    Also read about potential problems with Gen4. I heard at the GSSF match that they might go with a lighter spring. Are there any real problems with Gen4?
    I know very little about Glocks. Any information that you might share will be greatly appreciated.

Got_Glock

Old School
    Jan 16, 2010
    Charles County
    lowoncash

I have a Glock 19 (Gen4/compact) and a Glock 21 (Gen3/full size) You are welcome to shoot them both and see which one you like best if you want to. I am free Saturday after 1pm ( I will be at SCSC) so I can just drive down to the range an meet you there. PM me.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well, if its just for range/competition use I would go with a G34 or a G17.
    If you're going to go with the G34, don't worry about Gen4, because I don't even know if there are plans to release one in Gen4. If they do, it will be a looonnnggg way away.

As far as the G17gen3 vs G17gen4, glock has always insisted on using the same springs for .40cal and 9mm. I don't know why they do this, but thats what they do. Some people have reported failures in their G17gen4s originally, because the spring is too strong. Almost everyone I've heard of that claimed to have reliability issues with their G17gen4s had their issue go away after a break in period of a couple hundred rounds. They recommended shooting some 124gr or 147gr rounds through there to help the spring break in a little, for a couple hundred rounds. Then after that their pistols were mostly back to glock reliability. Whether glock will come out with a lighter spring for the 9mm, I hope so. But, I have to say, that people who have experienced reliability issues with their Gen4 G17s are IN THE MINORITY! Most Gen 4 G17s run just fine out of the box!

Do I think the Gen3 is a more reliable piece than the Gen4, in the G17 models? Yes. But not by much. The interchangable backstraps are a factor, if that concerns you. If you're a lefty, you can also switch the mag release to the right side of the frame. And even if you don't move it, the new mag release IS an improvement over the old one, IMO.

So you just have to decide if its worth it to you. Frankly if its just for range/plinking, and you go with a g17 over a g34, I'd go with the Gen 4.

If it were a home defense or carry piece I would say gen3, even though after a break in the gen4s seem to be just as reliable as gen 3s.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    AliasNeo07; I am right handed.
    I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I am leaning toward the G34 for the lighter trigger pull, extended slide stop lever and mag release. The list I have to choose from is pretty good but certain options like night sights would have to be installed after purchase. I like the idea of adjustable backstaps and that may affect my decision. Waiting for a gen4 G34 is probably not an option. I do plan on visiting a dealer or going to a gun show to get the feel of all the models. Thanks Got_Glock for the offer to shoot. PM sent. Surprising even me, my second choice may be a G36 and I'm not sure why. Opposite ends of the spectrum. One of my concerns is that if I really like the Glock I will end up going hellbent for leather down the PPP (polymer pistol path).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom