• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    This is just too funny and true not to share...
    Keep in mind I own 3 GLOCKS now and have been running one of those in competition for 7 years now and have well over 100k rounds through it.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12182866/glock-gen-4-design-meeting

As for the M&P I have owned 2 and still own 1.
    They are a fantastic platform and I will not part with mine, but knowing both platforms and being an armorer I will take a gen. 1-3 GLOCK every time.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I just sent my Glock to Georgia...let's see if they can fix my issue. I'm having them install the Glock Night Sights while they have it.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I just sent my Glock to Georgia...let's see if they can fix my issue. I'm having them install the Glock Night Sights while they have it.

How was the encounter with customer service?

Also, they will send it back to you Fedex second day service. If you are not home during the day, they will leave a tag and you can pick it up at the servicing facility. I'm not sure where you live, but the facility that services my area is close to my house.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    How was the encounter with customer service?

Also, they will send it back to you Fedex second day service. If you are not home during the day, they will leave a tag and you can pick it up at the servicing facility. I'm not sure where you live, but the facility that services my area is close to my house.

I had to call them twice. The first time I called, the people that I spoke with didn't sound very "customer service". When I didn't get the pre-paid shipping, I called back again, and this time, they sounded much more willing to help me with my Glock. I asked for the prepaid, then they asked for my serial number. I filled out the form on I received from the first call and packaged everything up. At first, I was going to get the traijicon night sights, but I read the white paint that makes the tritium glow brighter comes of easily with certain cleaners. So I changed it for the Glock Night sightes, which I hear is made by Meprolite...either way, I should be good to go. I'll report back when my gun comes back....if it doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what else I can do...I guess just live with it?

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    I had to call them twice. The first time I called, the people that I spoke with didn't sound very "customer service". When I didn't get the pre-paid shipping, I called back again, and this time, they sounded much more willing to help me with my Glock. I asked for the prepaid, then they asked for my serial number. I filled out the form on I received from the first call and packaged everything up. At first, I was going to get the traijicon night sights, but I read the white paint that makes the tritium glow brighter comes of easily with certain cleaners. So I changed it for the Glock Night sightes, which I hear is made by Meprolite...either way, I should be good to go. I'll report back when my gun comes back....if it doesn't fix it, I'm not sure what else I can do...I guess just live with it?[/QUOTE]

No, don't do that. Have them make it right. Otherwise, you will have it and never really like it.

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    I've convinced my sister, who recently moved out of my parents house, that she should have a gun for HD. That being said I've been showing her how to shoot and trying to figure out what she likes. So far she's really liked the G19 I had her try at On Target over my HK USP and a S&W .38 I also had her try. It seems the G19 might be a winner, and I must say I might have to get a glock for myself I enjoyed it quite a bit. But after reading this thread and some others around the web I'm slightly apprehensive, although I will of course offer to help her out if there is a FTE problem. So since her hands are tiny she really loves the size of the G19, but I have to ask what else is out there like the G19 in terms of grip size?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've convinced my sister, who recently moved out of my parents house, that she should have a gun for HD. That being said I've been showing her how to shoot and trying to figure out what she likes. So far she's really liked the G19 I had her try at On Target over my HK USP and a S&W .38 I also had her try. It seems the G19 might be a winner, and I must say I might have to get a glock for myself I enjoyed it quite a bit. But after reading this thread and some others around the web I'm slightly apprehensive, although I will of course offer to help her out if there is a FTE problem. So since her hands are tiny she really loves the size of the G19, but I have to ask what else is out there like the G19 in terms of grip size?

G19 = 9mm Parabellum
    G23 = .40 S&W
    G32 = .357 Sig
    (All the same physical size. These share a common gripframe.)

The G23 and G32 will have more felt recoil impulse, than the G19.

For approximately the same physical size, look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.
    Nice pistol. It also has different 'back straps' so that you (or she) can tailor the gripframe size to fit you (or her) better.

I like Glock(s), but, I'm no fan of the Gen4's backstrap 'inserts'. Poorly executed, IMNSHO. S&W's design is much better in that respect.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    The thing I like about the Gen 4 frame is that for the smallest size, you don't need an "insert" at all like the m&p. They are just add on's on the glock. I really like the feel of the small size, it's the same as a "SF" frame if you find one of those in the other generations.

That said, look hard at the m&p, it's a very nice pistol. I can't stand the trigger reset, but apex has a fix for that.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD

When you shot the G19, was it the Gen4? Because the Gen3 has less problems.

And just an fyi, I'm a HUGE researcher when it comes to buying things. I looked at the M&P, XD/XDm, Sig, HK....they will all have things people do not like about them. Most firearms have it's share of known problems. So don't let the neysayers sway you too much. Glocks are known to be reliable firearms. There are many more Glock owners then there are Glock haters.

I'm not saying to jump on the Glock bandwagon, but if your sister shot all those guns and liked the Glock, get the Glock. If you are worried about the issues, look at a Gen3 instead of the Gen4. And if you are like me, take a gamble and get the Gen4 and hope her firearm does not have any issues. Many many people have bought the Gen4 without the issues others have been having. And like me, Glock is happy to take a look at it if it does have issues...thus, I sent it back.

Going back to my comment about being a researcher...even after I read all the complaints about the Gen4 FTE and recoil spring recall, I still knew that the Glock was the BEST choice for my first HD pistol. I'm confident these issues can get worked out.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    My recently purchased Gen 4 only has 300 rounds through it, but it's been a great shooter so far! No FTE/FTF, but it did throw a few brass casings backwards. Hopefully just need to break in the extractor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    WARPIG [USMC];1532865 said:
    My recently purchased Gen 4 only has 300 rounds through it, but it's been a great shooter so far! No FTE/FTF, but it did throw a few brass casings backwards. Hopefully just need to break in the extractor.

That's further than mine made it. I hope you got a good one. The brass shouldn't be coming backwards, but if it hasn't jammed yet you may be in the clear. Just keep an eye on it. Mine was even throwing brass to the left.

My extractor should be early next week. I'm excited to see how it works out.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Md Trans Authority just went to the gen4. I was playing with my buddy's and didn't like the feel compared to my gen3. Also, the guide rod spring is more complicated and his mags aren't dropping free. Night sites are neat though.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    WARPIG [USMC];1532865 said:

A Gen4 with brass flying back into the face will generally not get better with more break-in. Often gets worse. Swapping in a Lone Wolf extractor should fix the problem. Here's a thread about it:
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1346797

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    i just bought a used G19 gen4. fired it a few times so far. had some stovepipes but nothing that i couldnt attribute to limp wristing (as this is my first pistol purchase). when concentrating on keeping my wrists locked i havent had any issues.

same with the ejection. ive been hit in the face with cases, but not sure if it was bouncing off the wall next to me in the lane.

Kais

Mar 20, 2011
    Halethorpe
    G19 = 9mm Parabellum
    G23 = .40 S&W
    G32 = .357 Sig
    (All the same physical size. These share a common gripframe.)

The G23 and G32 will have more felt recoil impulse, than the G19.

For approximately the same physical size, look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.
    Nice pistol. It also has different 'back straps' so that you (or she) can tailor the gripframe size to fit you (or her) better.
    When you shot the G19, was it the Gen4? Because the Gen3 has less problems.

I'm not saying to jump on the Glock bandwagon, but if your sister shot all those guns and liked the Glock, get the Glock. If you are worried about the issues, look at a Gen3 instead of the Gen4. And if you are like me, take a gamble and get the Gen4 and hope her firearm does not have any issues. Many many people have bought the Gen4 without the issues others have been having. And like me, Glock is happy to take a look at it if it does have issues...thus, I sent it back.

Going back to my comment about being a researcher...even after I read all the complaints about the Gen4 FTE and recoil spring recall, I still knew that the Glock was the BEST choice for my first HD pistol. I'm confident these issues can get worked out.

I'm not sure what the rental G19 at On Target is, I'll have to ask my buddy that works there to find out for me. I think the M&P9 will probably be my sisters next try and then well go from there. Thanks for the help guys. So far she has only really particularly liked the 9mm in terms of recoil felt so that's why I'm sticking close to 9mm guns in general.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    i just bought a used G19 gen4. fired it a few times so far. had some stovepipes but nothing that i couldnt attribute to limp wristing (as this is my first pistol purchase). when concentrating on keeping my wrists locked i havent had any issues.

same with the ejection. ive been hit in the face with cases, but not sure if it was bouncing off the wall next to me in the lane.

Limp wristing is a lame excuse IMHO. Your gun isn't working right. It shouldn't stovepipe and it shouldn't throw brass in your face.

Send it back and get it fixed. Its just going to get worse...

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    My lone wolf extractor arrived today! I think I have the solution!

I have high hopes for this thing. The difference between them is obvious- in the picture look at the extractor hook (?, unsure of terminology there) the LWD is in front and the factory one behind. See the angled cut on the factory one where the LWD goes all the way across? (I can't ID it with a circle on my phone) That is the main difference, also the lack of molding remnants on the sides that I stoned off the factory part.

Cycling snap caps through the gun, I can already tell it's different. I don't have to rack the slide near as vigorously as before to get proper and consistent ejection. Before, the gun wouldn't properly eject without a mag in place and last round ejection (manually) was iffy. With the new extractor, I'm getting proper manual cycling/ejection in these condiotions.

So, first impressions are very good, I'm going to visit On Target in the morning and see how she do. My hypothesis is that I will have solved the issue. If your gun is hitting you in the face with brass, I personally recommend you order one, I wouldn't hesitate. I posted the link above.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330723492.007149.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330723492.007149.jpg
      41.2 KB · Views: 131

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads