GLOCK Beavertail - NOT VERY IMPRESSED!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Ok, it is me over reacting. I think it is still a very good product its just happen to be my Gen4 G17 is the older-with-no-nose-SOL model. So it could've work just fine on your Gen4. However if your Gen4 is like mine - Older, then you will need to see this.

After 5 long weeks, its finally here from Glock directly.
    IMG_0313_zps97ad6876.jpg

Installed with medium beavertail
    IMG_0308_zps072ae20c.jpg

See the gap behind the slide? It didn't mate very well with the original frame
    IMG_0310_zps93eb0928.jpg

With just a little bit of force, it get wild open!!!!!!
    IMG_0311_zps1b2cb524.jpg

According to the instruction. I suppose to hear a click if this is done right. However, per instruction: "The beavertail backstrap fits also on older Gen4 pistols without the small nose. The nose is only an additional fixture". Well without the nose, the backstrap flops around.

NO-NOSE older Gen4
    IMG_0315_zpsa4b4b6d9.jpg

Thanks for reading my rant. Does it bother the function of the pistol for the backstrap to be loose? Not really since you will be gripping on top of it. BUT just don't feel good seeing that. Felt like it can catch garment while seating it in holster.

Gonna go F with it for a few weeks to see how it work out on carrying and range. If it doesn't work... you will see a karma coming up.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    What's does the beaver tail do?

I thought it was for helping guide how hand when drawing the pistol. Also prevents slide bite, glock 19's bite me bad because of my fat hands, and whether true or not dad told me sometime ago that on the 1911 it helped the hammer not mash the back of your hand.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    On those polymer pistol, its always top heavy due to the slide metal. So it will be ideal to get a higher grip to control the recoil. Problem is, the higher you go, more of your "palm meat" gets in the way of slide, hence the slide bite.

Beavertail will let us have a high grip without worry about the bite. But in this case it might bite your clothes when putting it back into holster...................................... :sad20:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ****I have a newer Gen 4 with those backstraps. I installed one of the beaver tail things to see how it looked, and if it improved my groupings shooting off-hand, strong hand, and gangsta style, etc.. and it did not have that gap like yours does.

I don't think having that gap affects anything performance wise but I agree it doesn't look clean. I have thin hands so don't have a problem with slide bite but can see from some people at the range with simply gargantuan mutant like hands that the backstrap setup could help them.

Not that it would help you - but there is a machinist who shoots at my local range who made the coolest backstrap with beavertail out of aluminum with stippling, etc.. to match his 1911's setup. It fits flawlessly and he made it offset so it is a bit thicker on one side to help fill in the gap between his support hand. Might be a good project for those that know how to make these things to sell them.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It works.. At least for me.. With glocks.. I tend to get slide bite often.. With beaver tail strap... It help..

Not overly concern with the gap and being flimsy.. It's not my ccw/hd gun.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I use a beavertail on glocks, but I use the aftermarket version called grip force adapter.

I'm not too concerned about slide bite on glocks, but the grip angle on the pistol akes me point shoot a bit high. The grip force adapter tends to correct that angle, from 115 to about 105 degrees. Approximately the same to the 1911. With it attached, I can't dry fire with a laser from the hip and pretty much hit center mass of targets within reasonable ranges.

The original Gen 4 glock beavertail doesn't really do anything for the grip angle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom