• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Is there anything you tend to like?

Night sights? Fiber optic? 3 dot vs. Straight 8/I Dot style?

Since the 30s isn't exactly a target gun, I assume something combat oriented.

Trijicon HDs are much heralded, but pricey.
    I like Ameriglo Pro I Dots right now.
    Glock factory night sights are good.

There really are tons of choices.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    While we are on the subject, I noticed on my 30s that the front small factory one dot site looks like it is molded to the frame. I know that Glock sells a special tool to facilitate the removal and replacement of these sights but I don't see an easy way for the front site to be replaced. Am I missing something or is the answer on the underside of the slide after it is removed from the frame? Thoughts?........

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Arotek or Vickers/Ameriglo

So far have done probably a dozen Arotek sights, 3 on my GLOCKs, the rest on friends and family. They are available in Dot, plain, night, and FO, the suggested heights are dead on. They include install tools, front is a screw, rear is a unique 2 piece design, a plate is easily pushed into the dovetail(takes just barely more force than your fingers) and the sight screws onto it, when tightened it won't budge, and is perfectly solid. and well made, to adjust back off screws, move, then retighten. It's a low-profile wedge shaped snag free design with a nice wide notch for fast and precise alignment. Other option is the Vickers/Wilson. Both are bout $100 for night sights.

The Vickers are VERY tall, almost suppressor height, the rear is a U-notch shape one piece with 2 set screws to lock in solid, mine pushed right in with a near perfect press fit, but does require a pusher unlike the Artoteks. The sights have a really nice serrated rear face with a large flat front on the rear to rack off of a belt or hard surface. The front has options for plain, night(green tritium), FO and a gold bead, rear is plain or single yellow tritium dot, the serrated rear is actually kinda sharp and can snag or scratch, but they do give a nice tall and clean sight picture. I opted to pair the Vickers rear with an Ameriglo pro-glo .240" front, FAR more visible, the .245" Vickers night front hit a hair low, and the tritium doesn't have a colored surround, so outside of the plain black, there isn't much to pick up(not a problem for the FO or gold), and it's kinda dim at night, for fast combat shooting a big green dot day or night is great for fast alignment.

Some pics of both night sight versions, Arotek on the G27, Vickers(with Vickers front) on the G19
    20160210_214008.jpg

20160210_214037.jpg

20160210_220032_LLS.jpg

20160210_220814.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    While we are on the subject, I noticed on my 30s that the front small factory one dot site looks like it is molded to the frame. I know that Glock sells a special tool to facilitate the removal and replacement of these sights but I don't see an easy way for the front site to be replaced. Am I missing something or is the answer on the underside of the slide after it is removed from the frame? Thoughts?........

It's either a small screw underneath, or older models had a pin to wedge it in place, both can be replaced with screw-in. You need a 3/16 driver tool, the head is very flat, so a socket with beveled mouth won't work all that well, obviously it will break if you overtighten it, most tools are only about as wide as a pencil so you can't turn it hard enough to break the screw. If it's a pinned sight, just use anything pointy and sharp like a pic or xacto to grab into the pin and pry it up, then punch the sight out. The rear presses off, or you can tap it out with a punch or hammer if you don't plan on reusing it.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    It's either a small screw underneath, or older models had a pin to wedge it in place, both can be replaced with screw-in. You need a 3/16 driver tool, the head is very flat, so a socket with beveled mouth won't work all that well, obviously it will break if you overtighten it, most tools are only about as wide as a pencil so you can't turn it hard enough to break the screw. If it's a pinned sight, just use anything pointy and sharp like a pic or xacto to grab into the pin and pry it up, then punch the sight out. The rear presses off, or you can tap it out with a punch or hammer if you don't plan on reusing it.

Thank you sir! Just what I was looking for.........:party29:

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I put TruGlo TFX on mine and I love them. The combination of tritium and fiber optic is nice and I can see them with my eye sight failing due to chronic old age.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have a couple more pics comparing the Vickers and Ameriglo pro-glo front sight. I originally put Vickers night sights on my 19G4, the U-notch rear is great, but the front was sharp, snaggy and the lack of a colored surround around the small tritium vial made it slow, but precise. Add a .240" tall Ameriglo pro-glo and it's much better. No serrations so you trade the possibility of glare for a smooth surface that doesn't snag as easily. The sight is slightly wider, so there is a little less light on either side of the blade, but still enough to line it up quick and precise. The big yellow dot is the real reason for the sight, it has the same layout as Trij HDs but cheaper and sleeker. Putting the big bright dot in the large U-notch locks your focus on the front sight, and makes it really easy to line it up and shoot fast. The insert glows in the dark in addition to the tritium in the center, without charging the sight with a flashlight it is still brighter than the Vickers, but hit it with a flashlight for a second and it's even more bright. I have the sight paired with a few rear sights including the intended Ameriglo ,rear, most have a square notch, but it works with the U-notch Vickers like it was made for it.

20160314_153758.jpg

20160314_154528.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Have a couple more pics comparing the Vickers and Ameriglo pro-glo front sight. I originally put Vickers night sights on my 19G4, the U-notch rear is great, but the front was sharp, snaggy and the lack of a colored surround around the small tritium vial made it slow, but precise. Add a .240" tall Ameriglo pro-glo and it's much better. No serrations so you trade the possibility of glare for a smooth surface that doesn't snag as easily. The sight is slightly wider, so there is a little less light on either side of the blade, but still enough to line it up quick and precise. The big yellow dot is the real reason for the sight, it has the same layout as Trij HDs but cheaper and sleeker. Putting the big bright dot in the large U-notch locks your focus on the front sight, and makes it really easy to line it up and shoot fast. The insert glows in the dark in addition to the tritium in the center, without charging the sight with a flashlight it is still brighter than the Vickers, but hit it with a flashlight for a second and it's even more bright. I have the sight paired with a few rear sights including the intended Ameriglo ,rear, most have a square notch, but it works with the U-notch Vickers like it was made for it.

View attachment 173584

View attachment 173585

Great tip. Might do the same with my front (on a G19 with Vickers sights) as the front fiber optic sight dot is tiny.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

View attachment 173584

View attachment 173585

Isn't that what the Sevigny/Warren sight looks like?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Isn't that what the Sevigny/Warren sight looks like?

No, Sevigny uses a narrow white ring front over a square notch rear, similar to most everyone, The Ameriglo pro-dot is similar to the Trijicon HDs with a big green glow-in-the-dark surround

Great tip. Might do the same with my front (on a G19 with Vickers sights) as the front fiber optic sight dot is tiny.

here is an idea how bright it is at night, the yellow surround is translucent and the tritium glows into it, first pic in the dark compares L-R 5 year old Arotek, Ameriglo/Vickers(not charged with a light), 8year old Trij/Novak, 1 year old Arotek. 2nd pic is the Ameriglo/Vickers a minute after a 1 second charge with a flashlight in low light.
    20160314_203154_LLS.jpg

20160314_204516_LLS.jpg

Last edited:

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I have seen a fiber optic rod from a front sight come flying off during a class. I had heard about it happening before but once I saw it in person I wanted to put night sights on everything.

Anything beats Glock Factory sights. Good luck!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

here is an idea how bright it is at night, the yellow surround is translucent and the tritium glows through it, first pic in the dark compares L-R 5 year old Arotek, Ameriglo/Vickers(not charged with a light), 8year old Trij/Novak, 1 year old Arotek. 2nd pic is the Ameriglo/Vickers a minute after a 1 second charge with a flashlight in low light.
    View attachment 173593

View attachment 173594

Thanks for the pics! Your product analysis and reviews are often excellent. Should consider putting some on YouTube.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom