• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Well on our trip to the range yesterday i got to run my new Glock 27. Courtesy of Marlin at PDI, whom we all know and love here on MDS. I don't really have any of the obligatory "intrinsic" target accuracy pictures. Mainly because i shot one target at 25yrds to check sight alignment 2 weeks ago when i got it. It was spot on, so when i got to the range yesterday i went right to the steel reactive targets. We have 5"x7" steel plates hanging there on the 25yrd range. You could just stand there and swing those babies with every trigger pull. I am already very familiar with the .40 since i have had a G22 for years. So all of my gear was directly compatible, I just love glock modularity.

But the thing that really instilled confidence in me. Was that after shooting pistols for a while we pulled back to the 50yrd. deck and then the 100yrd deck. Now, i was shooting at 12" round 1/2" plate steel hangers. I have shot my full size 22 at the 100yrd range before and hit reasonably well, so i wondered what the little 2.5" barrel would do. I went to kneeling off the knee, hit 5 out of 10 on the steel! The ones that i missed where barely off the side of the target. You could see the hits on the dirt behind the steel (my buddys were spotting for me). Now i know that you would never want to have to shoot someone or something with a subcompact pistol at ranges of 100yrds, but the baby glock showed me that it is capable.

Wow, i mean even as of sitting here writing this small review and reliving yesterday in my head. I'm just in awe of how well this little pistol shot. Oh, and absolutely no FTFire or FTExtract or FTFeed. Using Federal premium 180 FMJ and Blazer Brass of the same designation.
    Glock27onhip.jpg

(Shooting the wifes Sig2022, G27 on hip)
    Glock27shooting.jpg

Deltonsteamingaftermagdump.jpg

(This pic shows the 50yrd platform and the steel i am talking about.)
    Alicewith41mag.jpg

(This one shows my wife shooting at the 25yrd steel with my buddys .41mag. Notice the right steel going to the rear, thats right fellas she can shoot.)
    Glock27sequence.jpg

(This is a sequence shot the wife took of me shooting the G27 at the 100yrd platform.)

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Very cool indeed. The G27 is a punchy little thing. I'd probably own one if I was authorized to carry an "off-duty" gun.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    While I can shoot a broad range of handguns decently, I shoot with laser beam accuracy with my G27. Don't know why I can do so much better with that particular model, but that's what I carry when I'm in other states with a CCW license now.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    Is that a private range? It looks fantastic. I like the ability to be able to shoot without others crowding your space and you being able to change shooting "positions".

Cool Pictures

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Is that a private range? It looks fantastic. I like the ability to be able to shoot without others crowding your space and you being able to change shooting "positions".

Cool Pictures
    Yes it is a private range. Thank you. I built it a few years ago on a good friend of mines property. Cut into the side of the mountain and used the dirt to build out the berm wall on the left for the pistol range. The rifle range backstop is built out of 12"x12" railroad ties. We've built a covered shooting platform at the 100yrd line. The 50yrd line is leveled but no permanent structure, since were shooting over it. You can't see it in the pictures, but it opens up down to the right and we throw skeet there on occasion. Tried to cover all of the bases you know?

We love to run drills up and down the hillside utilizing the steel targets. Very tiring but very fun. For instance, On the line at the bottom of the hill with rifle loaded with 4 rnds and pistol secondary. Start @ 25yrds, blast all 4 steel to bolt lock. Go to secondary take out all 4 pistol steel. Turn and burn to the 50yrd line while reloading primary, shoot all 4 rifle targets as fast as possible. Rush to the 75yrd line, drop the 4 rifle targets again, kneeling if needed. Your heart is usually beating in your ears at this point. Turn and go up to the 100yrd line, drop to the deck and take all 4 steel rifle targets. Time.

It simulates an initial fire fight at the bottom of the hill with 8 targets. Then providing the cover fire while moving up and out. Lots and lots of fun. You can vary the level of difficultly with barriers or have your buddy down load your mags so that you have to do more mag changes.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Yes it is a private range. Thank you. I built it a few years ago on a good friend of mines property. Cut into the side of the mountain and used the dirt to build out the berm wall on the left for the pistol range. The rifle range backstop is built out of 12"x12" railroad ties. We've built a covered shooting platform at the 100yrd line. The 50yrd line is leveled but no permanent structure, since were shooting over it. You can't see it in the pictures, but it opens up down to the right and we throw skeet there on occasion. Tried to cover all of the bases you know?

We love to run drills up and down the hillside utilizing the steel targets. Very tiring but very fun. For instance, On the line at the bottom of the hill with rifle loaded with 4 rnds and pistol secondary. Start @ 25yrds, blast all 4 steel to bolt lock. Go to secondary take out all 4 pistol steel. Turn and burn to the 50yrd line while reloading primary, shoot all 4 rifle targets as fast as possible. Rush to the 75yrd line, drop the 4 rifle targets again, kneeling if needed. Your heart is usually beating in your ears at this point. Turn and go up to the 100yrd line, drop to the deck and take all 4 steel rifle targets. Time.

It simulates an initial fire fight at the bottom of the hill with 8 targets. Then providing the cover fire while moving up and out. Lots and lots of fun. You can vary the level of difficultly with barriers or have your buddy down load your mags so that you have to do more mag changes.

I think you just became my hero! I dream of having the same kinda setup... Maybe when I move back to Ohio. :D

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I wanted to talk my buddy into letting me host a maryland shooters shoot there. But im afraid that too many of you guys will show up. There really isn't parking for more than about 10 cars or so and there isn't alot of lane room. 3 guys on the line at a time. So the shooters would have to rotate off the line. Im just not sure that would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom