• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    This is a brand new Glock I got recently. It's a 26 Gen 4. With the oil wipe out, I noticed that there are many scratches on the slide. It was like that when I got it. This appears to be the parkerized finish, and beneath that the tenifer hardening. Being a Glock lover that I may be, how can these parkerized scatches be removed? It's a bit annoying. I guess I'll live with it, but if there is a way to fix this - that'll be cool.

img_4043.jpg

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    This is a brand new Glock I got recently. It's a 26 Gen 4. With the oil wipe out, I noticed that there are many scratches on the slide. It was like that when I got it. This appears to be the parkerized finish, and beneath that the tenifer hardening. Being a Glock lover that I may be, how can these parkerized scatches be removed? It's a bit annoying. I guess I'll live with it, but if there is a way to fix this - that'll be cool.

the tenifer is in the metal, the black is just some kind of finish. Im not sure what it is but it is not park

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Krylon!

But seriously, I don't know, that's a shame for a new gun. Would a light bronze-wooling buff it out? Maybe flitz?

(I am not taking responsibility for either of those ideas)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Never used a holster for this glock, though I might do that later.

I think Jimbob is saying that somebody else may have done so prior to you buying it "new". Did you buy it out of a display case?

BTW, it's common on Gen4. The slide scratches too easily. I've heard others complain about it in comparison to earlier Glocks.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I think Jimbob is saying that somebody else may have done so prior to you buying it "new". Did you buy it out of a display case?

BTW, it's common on Gen4. The slide scratches too easily. I've heard others complain about it in comparison to earlier Glocks.

Yup I was suggesting store play in the case, but the glock finish isnt that robust from scratches. They really are built for function (corrosion resistance) not looks. I wouldnt worry about it, you wouldnt believe some of the scratches I have seen on new guns when they come out of the box.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I wouldnt worry about it, you wouldnt believe some of the scratches I have seen on new guns when they come out of the box.

Exactly my feelings. It's a business tool, made for hard use. Don't sweat it. Enjoy it. If you sell it down the road, I doubt the scuffing (doesn't look like scratches) will have any effect on resale value. It wouldn't bother me in the least if I were looking to buy it used.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I used to hate scratches on my guns. Man, I'd damn near have a heart attack if and when I found one.

Now I prefer scratches. I still pamper my guns, but I use em too. The scratches tell a story. All of my go to guns, the one's I really love and shoot a lot, have wear marks and scratches.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    tss1004, same here. If my guns don't have wear marks or scratches, it means I don't like them and sell them. When I buy used, I look for "well-loved" but not abused. "Well-loved" tells me the prior owner really enjoyed it. Used and pristine don't belong together by my way of thinking.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I have a few guns that I'd like to keep "like new".

My "use" guns get plenty of scratches.

If it was a brand new gun I'd be disgruntled but at the end of the day the odds of a small glock ment to be carried is going to be scratch fee isnt worth betting on.

Glockamole

Dec 24, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I have a few guns that I'd like to keep "like new".

My "use" guns get plenty of scratches.

If it was a brand new gun I'd be disgruntled but at the end of the day the odds of a small glock ment to be carried is going to be scratch fee isnt worth betting on.

I feel the same way. Guess I shouldn't be worrying about the scratches and all. Itll eventually get scratched up in time. On the other hand if this was a glock in OD green that would be a different story, since it's more of a collectors item.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    What I notice more is the lack of that color on the bottom edge of that area along the slide. After copper sets out a long time, it goes green. Would the finish on a Glock do something similar and develop a kind of protective layer that rubs off easily? I really have no idea.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Those are 'character' marks.

Once you insert/remove your Glock from a holster a few times (especially unlined leather!), you will have some nice 'character' marks.

I found out a lonnnnnnnng time ago, Glocks are built to go 'bang', not to be pretty.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Im angry at you for complaining about a small blemish on a gun you own that I'm still too broke to buy. Go shoot that thing and put some more scratches on it....I'll be here working 6 or 7 days a week to try to save up for one in the mean time.....jerk ;)

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I've noticed the newer finish doesn't hold up as well as my Gen II, or Gen III Glocks, but the finish on the barrel seems to wear better. Put some rounds through it and you'll forget all abut it.

DES2013

Mar 5, 2011
    Glock 22 Gen 4, no scratches like yours, the finish appears to be a little different as well. Mine is a about two years old, been to the range and carried in a holster as well. No issues with mine. Like the others have said, when it does get a scratch or mark, a little oil makes it look like new.

Attachments

• glock 008.jpg
      glock 008.jpg
      151.7 KB · Views: 753

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads