• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gjohnsonoc

Feb 18, 2013
    OCMD
    I have a G19 but was looking for either swapping or adding the Magnum Research baby eagle. Anyone have any comparisons? As in worked with both.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    the baby eagle is elegant, beautiful and quirky

a glock is boring, but useful.

****That's not a bad way of describing the two! :thumbsup:

I own several G19's in various generations, and have significant experience shooting them in both practice and competition.

I've shot the baby eagle in both steel and polymer framed editions and they are nice guns but have some pretty quirky features. I like the 1911 type beavertail back as it virtually eliminates the possibility of slide bite. The rail mounted safety absolutely sucks IMO and is very hard to get to.

The dual action/single action trigger is ok once you get used to it - the double action feels really long to me and excessively heavy. I understand from a physics perspective why the trigger is so swoopy (curved), but it makes the single action follow up shots a big change versus other DA/SA guns I have fired in the past. I don't have small hands but I have a really hard time using the slide release after a mag change - it's maybe just me as I am used to the Glock which is closer to the back of the frame than on the Baby Eagle.

The cool thing about the steel framed Baby Eagle is it is quite heavy, and really dampens recoil down for follow up shots. I wouldn't want to carry it on a daily basis but that heft really helps sling heavier loads down range nicely. The polymer version is significantly lighter and more in line with a G19 weight wise..

I'm used to combat type sights with different inserts and rear sight options than the Baby Eagle has, and I am not aware of any where near as many options available for replacement on the Baby Eagle.. If you like 3 dot sights, that's fine - I'm used to rectangular sights on the back with an outline..

The magwell is sharp on the Eagle and it takes practice to do mag changes quickly without getting the mag hung up on the kind of sharp underside of the pistol. The G19 is somewhat funneled and makes mag changes on the fly more intuitive and quick IMO.

For me, I have a G19 as a HD gun in several parts of my home, and have carried one in an IWB type holster on occasion. My carry gun is now a G43 which is a great gun for my needs. The Baby Eagle in steel would be too heavy for me and my pants would look a bit too gangsta for my image as a clean cut and wholesome guy. The gun is much more blocky than the G19 and has some pretty sharp edges that would look like they could bite into some sensitive love handles, etc.. My range friends that own the baby eagles don't carry one for that reason. They also either carry a G43, or even a smaller .45 1911 type pistol.

Anyway, it's a cool gun, but for me it's not as useful as anything other than a range toy.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One of those is essentially a CZ-75 clone, the other is a Glock . They are different pistols , and is primarily a matter of familiarity/ personal preference .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom