Gifting a Handgun from Florida to my my Son in MD.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug2255

Oct 20, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    I am going to gift my son a handgun. I live in Florida and would like to know if I need to "transfer" it to a FFL in MD for him to pick it up, or are there other options?

Also, does he need to do anything after he takes possession of it?

He already has a MD carry permit and has purchased several handguns in MD before.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I am going to gift my son a handgun. I live in Florida and would like to know if I need to "transfer" it to a FFL in MD for him to pick it up, or are there other options?

Also, does he need to do anything after he takes possession of it?

He already has a MD carry permit and has purchased several handguns in MD before.
    Be aware that Maryland has a handgun roster of “acceptable” handguns. I believe your handgun must be on that roaster by specific make and model to be permissible in Maryland.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just went through this too.

It has to go through an FFL and they hold it for 7 days. I think the FFL charged me something like $10, it was minimal so i bought some ammo from him for his troubles.

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    Take it to an FFL in MD, they put it in their bound book the transfer it back out to your Son doing the MD paperwork in the process. Or, ship it to an FFL in MD then same deal. I've never used one that charged $10, the MSP charge $10 cheapest I've found is another $40.

Doug2255

Oct 20, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Take it to an FFL in MD, they put it in their bound book the transfer it back out to your Son doing the MD paperwork in the process. Or, ship it to an FFL in MD then same deal. I've never used one that charged $10, the MSP charge $10 cheapest I've found is another $40.
    OK - I will ship it from here in FL to his FFL dealer in MD.
    Also - Would a Bill of Sale be necessary to document the "transfer" of ownership?

Doug2255

Oct 20, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    I wonder if you can just loan it to him without all the government interference?
    Since this will be a carry gun for him, we both just want to make sure this transaction is totally above board, god forbid he had to use it in a confrontation. Would not want any loopholes to muck the waters.
    Otherwise, I love the idea of loaning it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OK - I will ship it from here in FL to his FFL dealer in MD.
    Also - Would a Bill of Sale be necessary to document the "transfer" of ownership?
    You should call his FFL first.

When I worked at a gun shop here for a little bit, we had a pistol just show up with info to call the son. I forgot the reason, but we couldn't do it for one reason or the other. Had the guy pay for us to ship it back to the FFL in Florida.

Doug2255

Oct 20, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    You should call his FFL first.

When I worked at a gun shop here for a little bit, we had a pistol just show up with info to call the son. I forgot the reason, but we couldn't do it for one reason or the other. Had the guy pay for us to ship it back to the FFL in Florida.
    Will do - thanks

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Couple things to be aware of. You will be calling an FFL to set everything up but some don’t accept transfers from individuals. That point is moot now since USPS won’t ship handguns (for a long time) and FedEx and UPS only accept handguns from FFLs and manufacturers (that is a more recent development).

Somebody will correct me if wrong.

What city is your son located in? I’m sure you would get some recommendations if he doesn’t use a regular FFL.

Doug2255

Oct 20, 2011
    Bel Air, MD
    Couple things to be aware of. You will be calling an FFL to set everything up but some don’t accept transfers from individuals. That point is moot now since USPS won’t ship handguns (for a long time) and FedEx and UPS only accept handguns from FFLs and manufacturers (that is a more recent development).

Somebody will correct me if wrong.

What city is your son located in? I’m sure you would get some recommendations if he doesn’t use a regular FFL.
    All set. He is in Bel Air and his guy is close to there and will accept the transfer. I will ship via "shipmygun.com". I used them on a similar transfer years ago without any issues.

CroftonBilly

Huge Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2011
    Crofton
    @Doug2255 , Transporting them as properly checked firearms with you on a round trip southwest airlines flight will maybe be cheaper and easier than two FFL mail/receive and final FFL transfer/MD fees all combined. You can do the transfer in person with your son here in MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom