• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I can understand the reservations about putting the animal down. My Dad used to hunt deer. The last one he shot gave him the 'death growl' and he watched it die. Up to that point, he basically shot and they dropped and were dead when we walked up to them. After that experience, he stopped hunting.

Today, he'll gladly accept any venison I give him and he's also an active meat eater.

The buck I shot this Wednesday gave me the death growl 8 times and then went silent. It was an ethical shot, the deer bleed out in under 2 minutes and was 80 yards from where I shot it. It left a blood trail that looked like a fire hose went off. There were no problems tracking this deer (especially after hearing where it died).

Before you take one, I suggest that you bake Limburger cheese in the oven and bring it out to your living room, while you watch an updated color version of night of the living dead or some other 'shock and gore' horror movie. That should prep you for field dressing a deer.
    Keep in mind that when you eat meat, someone has to kill and process that meat. If you object to that process, consider becoming a vegan. I was a vegan (just to see if I could do it) for 2 years. I fell off the vegan wagon and tried a steak just to see if it would be repulsive after having been a strict vegetarian. It was an orgasmic experience. Meat tastes good and it is good for you! Screw being a vegan!

I'm glad to hunt. It's dirty work. Something will die and it may not be pretty. There's no way around that.

um what?? are you gutting it with a chainsaw? lol we've gutted 4 this season one from a muzzle loader shot and yes they smelled a little but apart from the blood its not that bad...yes deer hunting takes patience...and timing...and initial startup supplies are expensive but so is "gun addiction" :) but IMO totally worth all the time and money spent on it!

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    um what?? are you gutting it with a chainsaw? lol we've gutted 4 this season one from a muzzle loader shot and yes they smelled a little but apart from the blood its not that bad...yes deer hunting takes patience...and timing...and initial startup supplies are expensive but so is "gun addiction" :) but IMO totally worth all the time and money spent on it!
    I like folks to be over prepared. Unless you gut shot the deer, or do a total 'freddy krugar' on the field dressing, it won't be bad at all. I was attempting to be funny.

biermkr

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2007
    Almost Heaven
    I hunt mainly public land. It is not the nightmare most make it out to be. Hike in more than 200 yards and you will not see that many hunters. Most do not bother to leave the trail more than 50 yards.

I usually see 2-3 hunters when I am out on the weekends. Weekdays I am usually by myself.

Maryland_Pinz

Aug 9, 2010
    Public land hunting in MD

I only hunt public land in Frederick County, MD (mainly b/c I'm new to hunting, don't have my own private land that's good for hunting on, and haven't tried much to find a private source yet). I mostly hunt during the week, b/c Saturday is usually quite a bit more crowded, depending on the day of the season. If you don't want to see many other people, then that's the way to go--hunt during the week, or avoid the 1st day of any season. I typically see only 1-2 other trucks, if any, when I hunt, and see a hunter out there hunting maybe 1 in 4 hunting days. I do feel a little nervous about hunting during firearms season, but bow season is great, as is muzzle loader season. In fact, I took my first deer (a 6-point buck) this year on public land in Frederick w/ my muzzle loader. I would imagine it's a lot nicer/easier on private land for many reasons, but I figure if I can make it happen on public land, I can make it happen anywhere, so I like the challenge. With all the rules on public land--like no baiting, no leaving blinds/tree stands up over night, no motorized equipment [at least where I hunt], etc.--it's a bit of work and forces you to work harder, which I believe, in turn, makes you a better hunter. I'm not trying to insinuate that people that hunt private land are not just as good if not better at hunting than those that hunt public land, only that I believe you really have to pay attention to things that you might not have to otherwise if your on public land. For example, you really need to brush in your blind good b/c you're not able to leave it there all season to let the deer get used to it. Anyhow, wherever you have to hunt, BE SAFE, have fun, and good luck!

AnarchyX

Mar 31, 2012
    know Ill get flamed for it but the Hunter's safety course was a joke, much like the online boaters safety course I took. 100lbs of crap in a 1lb bag. You learn a ton of useless info and maybe one or two things that you actually use. Give myself or any other 10 people the test right now without studying and guaranteed 9 out of 10 fail.

Blows my mind cause its basically a free class so its not like anyone is making money off of it.

You are absolutely right at least regarding the independent study field day. The safety course is much better value compared to that.. Not only is it a waste of time for anyone who has either been in the military or those with common sense and firearms experience : You are subject to the whims of the instructors and their mood. I saw a group of 20 sent home because the instructor decided they were not answering his trick questions fast enough and in one instance he offered no explanation to the individual as to why they were done and could just go home. In one case the student answered the question correctly and demonstrated the two hand carry (called it that) and did not name it as the ready carry. 4 hours down the drain. Keep in mind these courses are not offered everywhere and in some cases folks were driving in from up to 100 miles away. This was at the IWLA in Frederick. Avoid at all costs this bunch of jackasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom