• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    I have had a few Gerber knives, and I can say in all honesty I have beat the sh!t out of them. Never had one break. Although I just acquired a Bench Made from a fellow member who will not be named but his intials are j.r. heehee, and I can deffinetly see a Huge difference in the two as far as quality.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Don't hammer anything with it either. Lots of broken knives....
    Look at the SOG field pup for something extremely useful and of high quality for ~$50.
    i do like that parang...
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=61981

Thanks for the advice on the SOG field pup. Saw one go on sale for ~$25, so added it onto my existing order. Seems like a great knife for the price now that I have it in hand.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Unless your actually hunting, there's no real use for a large fixed blade knife in the woods.

Actually, a large knife is not generally what you want for hunting. You can always tell the new hunters in the woods (or walking through bass pro with all of their camo on :rolleyes:), by the huge knife hanging off their side. You'll get better control, and results with a smaller blade, around the 3" range. That is for field dressing deer, even smaller for birds and small game. It's up close work, and the larger knives are a bit cumbersome.

Even when I'm butchering my deer, for most of the cutting and skinning, I use a caper style knife.

Hope this helps

MH

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Something I failed to mention. I don't hunt. I do hike. The knife would be more for personal protection. You never know what you may come across in the woods. Crazies; which I have seen mountain biking. Wild dogs, bears; shoot a bear DNR issues, bear spray, might work. Last resort to save your life, a long knife against a bear is probably it if you don't want DNR hassles proving you shot a bear in self defense. For work in the woods and protection this is probably the smallest knife I would carry.

Until we get the right to carry this is it. I'm sure if that happens there will be a lot more placese you can't carry includings Federal forrests and State parks. Just thinking worst case scenario with the loonies we have running the show.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Actually, a large knife is not generally what you want for hunting. You can always tell the new hunters in the woods (or walking through bass pro with all of their camo on :rolleyes:), by the huge knife hanging off their side. You'll get better control, and results with a smaller blade, around the 3" range. That is for field dressing deer, even smaller for birds and small game. It's up close work, and the larger knives are a bit cumbersome.

Even when I'm butchering my deer, for most of the cutting and skinning, I use a caper style knife.

Hope this helps

MH
    Exactly. Well put.:thumbsup:

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I'm going to get something better in the future. For a guy to put his name on it he should make sure it is completely ergonomic and functional. Where is the inner plastic sleeve? Is it under the grip? You should have seen the lanyard. A five year old wouldn't get it around their wrist. It's a knife. the price was right. It'll be good for hikes in the woods. If Maryland goes carry, it won't matter what knife I have because I'll be packin'!

You do realize that "lanyard" was just to hold the rape whistle to the knife right? It had nothing to do with putting around your wrist.

I got the same BG knife for X-mas and I dig it. I moved the whistle to the back and wrapped it around the sharpener.

SniperArt

BLADE HOUND
    Mar 7, 2009
    MARYLAND USA
    Please tell me you a kidding about this. You cannot be a bushcrafter or you wouldn't have said that at all. Fuzz sticks, fire notching, snare notching, I could keep going. Try these technique with a freaking 12" machete and then with a good quality bushcrafting knife. Then tell me that class of knife is of no real use. I'm not trying to start a fight here. I just find that comment very, very short sided and completely false.

+1 on runners point. :thumbsup:

SniperArt

BLADE HOUND
    Mar 7, 2009
    MARYLAND USA
    I like the Gerber LMF 2 I think for its intended use it's a tank of a knife. I have a few good friends that are outdoor junkies and they say they would not touch Gerber but to each his own. Unfortunately the Bear's line I believe it to be more of a gimmick than the real deal. here a review from a respectable source on it http://youtu.be/2-oR4K4sVR8

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Until we get the right to carry this is it. I'm sure if that happens there will be a lot more places you can't carry includings Federal forests and State parks. Just thinking worst case scenario with the loonies we have running the show.

Maryland state parks, that's the state's business. It is legal for me to concealed carry any of my pistols in Shenandoah National Park and any of the National Forests as that's Federal and it's already been approved.

Buck

I have a real hard time getting past the Bear Grylls label. I just don't like that guy. I run a SOG Team Leader usually. It does everything I need.

ElDunco

Jul 21, 2008
    Silver Spring
    Didn't want to bring back too old of a thread. But one big bonus about picking up a knife from REI is their guarantee. You can pick up something and if you don't like it, just take it back and try something new. I good friend of mine used to work at the Rockville location and quite a few times he's picked up a new knife, put it through the wringer, had something break, and they take it right back. No questions asked. I picked my benchmade 530 that I EDC from REI for this very reason.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Didn't want to bring back too old of a thread. But one big bonus about picking up a knife from REI is their guarantee. You can pick up something and if you don't like it, just take it back and try something new. I good friend of mine used to work at the Rockville location and quite a few times he's picked up a new knife, put it through the wringer, had something break, and they take it right back. No questions asked. I picked my benchmade 530 that I EDC from REI for this very reason.

Yea, but you're also supporting REI :tdown:

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Thanks.

I wish they would have had a benchmade at the location I went to. I should have looked around before I chose to go to REI for dividend cash in.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    The only thing I don't like about them is they seem to be a big group of tree huggers. SOme of their prices are a bit rediculous as well. What's your beef with them? Just curious.

They aren't just a group of tree huggers. They are tree huggers through and through. I'm an offroader and REI actively advocates for closing land to anything other than "muscle powered" vehicles.

They also are large supporters of the Sierra Club (who are anti-gun and anti-access)

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Hmmm...

They aren't just a group of tree huggers. They are tree huggers through and through. I'm an offroader and REI actively advocates for closing land to anything other than "muscle powered" vehicles.

They also are large supporters of the Sierra Club (who are anti-gun and anti-access)

I went there and bought some shoes. Joined the co-op. I read up on them and kinda felt they were outside of my beliefs. They are much worse than I tought! I won't be donating to any of their causes that's for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I'll check them all out. So many choices. I'll just figure what my intention is. The purpose of the knife I bought was personal protection. Since I can't carry my handgun in MD. (Hiking, State Parks) Location and discount due to affiliation with the store drove the brand.

As for other good knives:

Look for a flat ground blade in 154CM, ATS34, S30V, S90V, 1095 (or D2, M2 etc tool steel but be prepared to maintain it as the tool steels, while tough as hell, rust). Even 440C is good but a hair on the soft side.

Hollow ground blades tend to chip and break when used for bushcraft.

I love the RAT series, too bad they went out of production. They can still be had for around 100. ESEE is good but only come in 1095, no D2 steel. Swamp Rat and Tops make fantastic knives. Spyderco and Benchmade are great too.

Gerber has a few good products, cant say I'm a fan of the Gryllis line, but the Covert/Combat folders are really nice and the old MkIII daggers are awesome.

Don't forget about Ka-Bar! for self defense, the original leather handle Ka-Bar is still a solid weapon and will hang quite well in the bush. Plus the Becker line from Ka-Bar is a solid line of bushcraft/EDC knives.

I would stay away from: Cold Steel (unless you find one of the original USA or Japan made ones, good luck) SOG (their quality has gone downhill recently. Still have some good models but be prepared to pay for them, i.e. the Vision)

my 2 cents,anyway. ask 20 knife snobs what the best knives are and you'll probably get 20 answers. Basically, if it works for you and feels good in your hand and you trust your life to the build quality, then that is all that matters.

As for REI, Good products, great warranty, good customer service. I am a mountain biker so the access thing doesn't bother me much.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Actually, a large knife is not generally what you want for hunting. You can always tell the new hunters in the woods (or walking through bass pro with all of their camo on :rolleyes:),

MH

I love my Buck Ultimate Hunter model.
    219520_0_42

3" deep belly hollow ground ATS-34 blade and razor sharp.

gdubyacobb

Mar 6, 2009
    Patagonia Arizona
    I have a Bear Grylls, bought it at Wally's last summer before a cross country camping trip.
    I was mostly happy with it.
    I used it to cut fire wood and also, along with a hammer, to split wood.
    I also used the fire starter, it worked fine.
    Over all though, it seemed like a "lets play survival" kinda knife. It got real beat up real fast. The fire starter will no longer stay in its holder and the rubber handle is rolling at the ends. Plus...it just looks a little cheesy.
    But for the price, I reckon its hard to beat.
    I've had a Gerber ASEK for a while and I am much happier with it.
    That's my two cents.

ElDunco

Jul 21, 2008
    Silver Spring

I've got to agree with you on those points. Being an avid motocrosser it's pretty hard to agree with what they support. Especially sierra club with what they did to pikes peak. However, if I get anything from them I use it to the absolute fullest and when it fails I take advantage of having that guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom