• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    I'll be traveling overseas and will be provided a sidearm upon arrival. I will not know what it is until I get there. E.g., it could be anything from a 5" 1911, a 4" or 6" 38 spcl or .357 Magnum, a G19, or a stubby S&W J-frame style, etc. I need to be prepared with an IWB and an OWB holster. I'll be in different climates but will be ready to dress around a concealed OWB if the barrel length dictates. Clearly whatever holster I take most likely won't fit well but my priority is to firmly cover the trigger, followed by some retention when moving quickly or in case of a fall. I will have a sturdy dress gun belt to support the weight of a 1911, etc.

Holsters will not be easy to come by there and ordering/shipping will be impractical so I'm looking for suggestions for two generic holsters to take with me. I will have minimal support from my US customer so basically I'll be on my own aside from local contacts that in my experience have lax concern for safety. Any ideas?

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I think your customer ought to be able to give you an idea which firearm, being that your agreeing to go over there and be expected to use it if necessary. You'd think they'd want to raise the probability of success for the guy with the gun(like being secure not to lose it but able to draw quickly)

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Thanks. Very nice. No trigger guard, though. I wonder about retention while moving. But it's easy enough to make some and try with a variety of pistols.

I was thinking about suede holsters. Thoughts?

This is a question for @Blaster229 . I think he mentioned being in similar situations before, and he also used to post pics of a generic suede holster with a 'custom' flap he used.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Stealth Operator has some generic multi fit holsters, but I don't think they would work with a small revolver.

I have one, and it 'sort of' works with a variety of handguns. Would probably never use it long term unless I was on a trip and my primary holster broke.

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Can't you have the folks providing you a firearm provide you a holster that might work for your needs?
    Maybe but no guarantee. Many locals stick their pistol in their pants with no holster. I saw a woman carry hers with no holster in her purse filled with stuff.

IMO, that's not safe although with a revolver or manual safety I'd risk it. No way with a striker.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I saw somewhere some way to make custom holster out of velcro sheets. Can't recall if it was a product sold for that purpose or a just youtube demonstration. Maybe someone else on here might have seen it and can direct.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I saw somewhere some way to make custom holster out of velcro sheets. Can't recall if it was a product sold for that purpose or a just youtube demonstration. Maybe someone else on here might have seen it and can direct.
    Maybe

Vertx MPH Tactigami​

Might might be good if you decide to carry in a fanny pack or backpack.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks. Very nice. No trigger guard, though. I wonder about retention while moving. But it's easy enough to make some and try with a variety of pistols.
    Revolvers, and hammer-operated DA/SA automatics, should be reasonably safe. Not a good idea for the striker-fired stuff like Glocks, without external safety capacity.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Can a shoulder holser be a consideration with a light coat? Bianchi X-15 medium can fit a 1911, Hi Power, 4 inch K/L frame Smith or other revolvers. Not form fitted and is a vertical carry. Glock or like trigger safety designs probably not since the trigger is not covered. 5 inch barrel length. No magazine pouch attached. Can remove firearm with a forward motion but a vertical return. I'm sure Bianchi Leather is international but check first.

Last edited:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    P.S. I see you are for OWB/IWB carry and covered trigger. With retention strap a Hi Power trigger guard is somewhat covered mostly. Clam shell design.

Last edited:

regulator

Not optimal, but fits your universal needs.

Screenshot_20231027_181046_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231027_181046_Chrome.jpg

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I just ran across this from houge . It’s billed as fitting many guns, and usable open or concealed.

You could also use an M12 holster for owb use for many types of guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom