• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Yeah it's pretty cool. You can use a flash hider for when you want SBR and swap out for the supressor when you want to go quiet.

I wonder if you can just send them the barrel, instead of the whole rifle. I have not taken mine apart so I dont know how much is involved with removing the barrel - or what tolerences these guns are made to - maybe they would want to have the full rifle to check fit.

They look as if they can be removed pretty easily. A few screws is all it looks like need removed. If that's the case if would make it much easier to get the barrel cut down.

That way there is no sending of a NFA registered gun through the mail and dealing with the extra insurance as well as the hassel of signatures required and technically the 5320.20. Plus you could have the barrel ready to go when the Form 1 came in. Just keep it at work away from the gun.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    And since I don't have to have the 3 Lug, I might just go ahead and get another Tactical Innovation's suppressor.

I know somewhere that has them in stock and I can get a pretty good price on a Stratus :innocent0

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    And since I don't have to have the 3 Lug, I might just go ahead and get another Tactical Innovation's suppressor.

I know somewhere that has them in stock and I can get a pretty good price on a Stratus :innocent0

.....Saying the magic word--what's the run time at ATF these days? I think I'm about halfway through on wait time, what do you think?

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007

How does the Stratus compare with the TAC 65? I noticed it's about $50 more. I like the compact size of the TAC 65 and the fact that you can clean it and it's pretty quiet on my 10/22.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Hey man,
    I've read that. But the question is WHERE would the GSG-5 be engraved? I contacted Orion, and Ryan said they haven't had any in yet to determine the ideal location.

Also do you know anything about this. From the HKPro forums...

"I hate to bring this up, but didn't the ATF determine that even if you SBRd the GSG-5 that the only way you could add a suppressor was to use an attachment other then a threaded barrel?

Gemtech has been heavily involved with the GSG-5, since it was originally announced they were being imported into the U.S. It was explained to me that due to 922r the only way to legally suppress the GSG-5 was via a 3 lug adapter or some other form of connector other than threading the barrel.

Anyone know for sure? Or do we follow the normal protocol of writing a letter to the BATF and by the luck of the draw, see what the assigned agent's interpretation of the current laws is?"

Sounds a bit odd. I mean, why does the ATF give a flying fig whether a suppressor is attached via 3-lug or threaded?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Hey man,
    Also do you know anything about this. From the HKPro forums...

"I hate to bring this up, but didn't the ATF determine that even if you SBRd the GSG-5 that the only way you could add a suppressor was to use an attachment other then a threaded barrel?

Gemtech has been heavily involved with the GSG-5, since it was originally announced they were being imported into the U.S. It was explained to me that due to 922r the only way to legally suppress the GSG-5 was via a 3 lug adapter or some other form of connector other than threading the barrel.

Anyone know for sure? Or do we follow the normal protocol of writing a letter to the BATF and by the luck of the draw, see what the assigned agent's interpretation of the current laws is?"

Sounds a bit odd. I mean, why does the ATF give a flying fig whether a suppressor is attached via 3-lug or threaded?

Because threading it removes it from the sporting catagory, thus violating 922r.

To be in the sporting catagory the barrel can't be threaded. there are other restrictions as well, like a collapsable stock and a flash hider. They would remove it from the sporting catagory as well.

Now, is the suppressor a flash suppressor??? Does adding a suppressor remove it from the sporting catagory???

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Hmmm. I didn't think those things mattered if you SBR'd it. So I can't add a retractable stock?

This is confusing

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Hmmm. I didn't think those things mattered if you SBR'd it. So I can't add a retractable stock?

This is confusing

Not legally. This all falls under Bush Sr's 1989 import ban.

ATF has issued letters concerning SBR's and 922r, they all clearly state that SBR'ing a gun does not remove 922r's restrictions.

Other wise eveyone would be impoting semi auto G36's and Sig 552's and selling them as SBR's, (oh how great that would be!)

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Would a US made barrel balance out the foreign collapsable stock in the eyes of 922?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    I don't think so, because it is only 1 US made part, the rest of the gun is German.

The way I understand it there has to be a specific # of US made parts if the receiver is an imported part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom