• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Does anyone's kid(s) have a GBB Airsoft gun? I'm looking at getting this for training in my yard and garage during the winter.
    http://kwausa.com/products/gbb/atp-auto
    It's the closest thing to an M&P that I can find. How does the propane work compared to CO2 cartridge regarding shots and value?
    Thanks for any input or opinions.
    George

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my gun does both co2 and green gas. i think green gas is better for two reasons.

1. easier to charge, just insert the bottle tip into the magazine. for the co2 you have to unscrew and swap out the cartridge.

2. consistent shooting - since you're filling up with gas each time, you will get thru the current mag without it running out or getting slow. if the co2 cartridge gets low or runs out mid-run, obviously that isn't what you want.

so with gas you're recharging more often, but it's easier than swapping out a co2 cartridge, and you will have consistent shots during each mag dump.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Well it might be cheeper to go with propane depending on how it is refilled, If you can get a adpt and use a 20 pound tank it might be the way to go. I own two nail guns that use propane and they work well untill the air temp gets down below 40. These nailers are over 15 yrs old also, so maybe technology has moved past this. My son has a CO2 walther BB gun that is over 10 yrs old and it works flawless. Before he was old enough to have BBs on his own, I would put a new CO2 in the gun with no mag and the gun cycles like a real pistol, The kid would run around the farm all afternoon shooting imaginary bad guys.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    my gun does both co2 and green gas. i think green gas is better for two reasons.

1. easier to charge, just insert the bottle tip into the magazine. for the co2 you have to unscrew and swap out the cartridge.

2. consistent shooting - since you're filling up with gas each time, you will get thru the current mag without it running out or getting slow. if the co2 cartridge gets low or runs out mid-run, obviously that isn't what you want.

so with gas you're recharging more often, but it's easier than swapping out a co2 cartridge, and you will have consistent shots during each mag dump.

Thanks for the info, what type are you running?

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thanks for the info, what type are you running?

I have a KWA G17 that runs on green gas and I like it a lot. I just ordered a propane adapter for it and it has not arrived yet so I don' know firsthand how they work, but knowledgeable people tell me propane works well and is much cheaper. HOWEVER, make sure you get an adapter that has a silicone reservoir. Green gas cans come with silicone lubricant in them. Propane does not have silicone added so you have to do it yourself. If you don't run silicone lube with the propellant, I'm told the seals go bad quick.

Don't use petroleum based lubes on an airsoft gun, this will also ruin the seals so I'm told.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a KSC Beretta 93R, and it is a hoot. It is a little lighter than the real deal, but close enough to feel real, it is identical dimentionally. Mechanically, it operates VERY lose to the real deal, it uses the same ratcheting 3 shot burst, and semi selector with the same controls. It has held up for a long time, is relatively accurate, and it's easy to fill with green gas. The gas and bbs are loaded in a mag, so if you have extra mags, you get a full charge of gas with a reload. Each mag holds 40bbs, and usually holds velocity for 2 or 3 mags. They can be sensitive to cheap BBs, good stuff runs perfect, cheap bbs with mold marks will jam. I got it to help teach, and for shooting cans in the back yard, they can help practice holster draws and techniques where a blue-gun isn't real enough, and a functioning firearm is too dangerous.

It's pictured with my "real" Beretta M9
    S7300475.jpg

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I have a WEtech Wilson Combat CQB Elite. Very nice piece. I run it on propane. Only problem is now both my mags leak and won't hold enough gas to really use.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Were you adding silicone to the propane?

Yes I was. I think the seals are bad. One won't take a charge anymore and the other only gives me about 7-10 rounds before running out now.

I think, once I stop spending money on real guns, I'm going to order a new mag and switch to green gas.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Yes I was. I think the seals are bad. One won't take a charge anymore and the other only gives me about 7-10 rounds before running out now.

I think, once I stop spending money on real guns, I'm going to order a new mag and switch to green gas.

What propane adapter are you using? Sorry I have so many questions, I just ordered a propane adapter for mine because propane is so much cheaper. Now you have me worried.

Your adapter has a reservoir for the silicone?

How long after you switched to propane did you start having the problem?

I've had some mag issues with the spare that I bought and the mags are easy to work on and the seals are easy to replace.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What propane adapter are you using? Sorry I have so many questions, I just ordered a propane adapter for mine because propane is so much cheaper. Now you have me worried.

Your adapter has a reservoir for the silicone?

How long after you switched to propane did you start having the problem?

I've had some mag issues with the spare that I bought and the mags are easy to work on and the seals are easy to replace.

I've always used propane in it. It's a ton cheaper, like you said. My adapter is an old basic one that doesn't have a reservoir. I just shoot a little silicon straight into the mag (how I was taught to do it). Admittedly I haven't taken the same level of care with it that I do with real guns. I'll try and re-seal the mags eventually.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I've always used propane in it. It's a ton cheaper, like you said. My adapter is an old basic one that doesn't have a reservoir. I just shoot a little silicon straight into the mag (how I was taught to do it). Admittedly I haven't taken the same level of care with it that I do with real guns. I'll try and re-seal the mags eventually.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    This is the one I've been eyeing.

http://kwausa.com/products/ptp/atp/

Basically the same, but slightly different (no full-auto!).

My intent is the same as yours. I want to be able to practice movement, etc. and I also have an M&P.

Hey Threeband that is the same one I was looking at. The full auto model is the G18. My buddy was able to get one today for us to check out, it was the G18 and it was bad a$$ on full auto. I came straight home and ordered mine online. Spent about $180 for the gun, spare mag, and the propane fill adapter. I'll post some pics when it come in.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    i have a we 1911

i got the propane tank cap, and i spray a little silicone into the top of the propane tank, there's enough space in there to put a decent bit, you dont need much anyway.

it's run flawlessly, great for training.

propane is ridiculously cheap compared to the gas, i dont fire mine a lot, but the propane lasts practically forever for me, ive only run out 1 16 ounce propane bottle since ive owned the pistol, ive probably fired a few thousand rounds.

its quite accurate too.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I've owned a bunch of them.

I always use green gas instead of propane because I actually play airsoft, vs just training with them. I hate the way straight propane smells, and the silicone helps keep the mags in good working order.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    My KWA ATP airsoft pistol came in the Big Brown Truck today. Ordered an extra mag and propane adapter for it. I ran two mags through it in the garage and the grouping was the size of a 50 cent piece. I had a target taped to a shoe box and it penetrated through both sides, had to add an additional piece of cardboard that was folded in half. This was the closest thing I could find to a S&W M&P that was gas blow back and not a spring or CO2 BB Gun.
    ATP Airsoft.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom