• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    so im new to building uppers and am taking a armoers class to learn soon. in the mean time i started ordering parts. I figured out this was a bad idea since i hadnt learned about building an upper yet. i oredered this barrel from PSA

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ls/14-5/psa-14-7-hf-m4a1-5-56-1-7-barrel.html

after playing with it and putting a FSB on it i noticed their is no place to have the pins mount the FSB. I am guessing my only option is to get a set screw gas block? thanks guys.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I don't remember ever seeing anything but set screw GBs or clamp ons (YHM). If you are setting up a barrel under 16", which will have to have the flash hider permenantly pinned, you should consider getting a clamp on GB so you can get all the parts mounted on the barrel off over the FH. Although if you are putting on a mil-spec handguard and A2 front sight you don't have to. If you would like an A2 front sight frame gas block I have one coming in early next week on a 14.5" barrel that I will be taking off and tossing in a box. I am putting one of these on because I want to use the Samson Evo handguard I have on what will be a suppressed carbine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/257276/yankee-hill-machine-gas-block-with-flip-up-hooded-front-sight-and-bottom-rail-bolt-on-mount-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

You could do one of these also:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/798704/yankee-hill-machine-gas-block-2-picatinny-rail-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

Or I could sell you the A2 GB frame for next to nothing.

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    thanks, the clamp on seems like the best idea. I can imagine the clamp on not being as secure and stable as a pinned SB, am i completley wrong here? My idea is to put somethign similar tot he daniel defense ris ii. i like the look of the FSB being in the middle of the quad rail. At my work we have all the tools to weld a pinned flash hider on to make it 16".

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    The planning phase of my first upper build was a complete cluster f*&k. Ordered parts thinking it was going to be easy like the lower. Wrong. Unfortunately I had the same problem deciding which gb to go with. Finally got DD low pro clamp-on. I planned on just tightening it down and applying Rockset. Now that I've seen these threads I'm having second thoughts about that. :mad:

travismxi

Nov 14, 2010
    so i am convinced i need the barrel drilled for pins. can any one recommend a good smith to do this in southern maryland/ dc metro area?

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    The planning phase of my first upper build was a complete cluster f*&k. Ordered parts thinking it was going to be easy like the lower. Wrong. Unfortunately I had the same problem deciding which gb to go with. Finally got DD low pro clamp-on. I planned on just tightening it down and applying Rockset. Now that I've seen these threads I'm having second thoughts about that. :mad:

U know people that could help you RICHARD. :D

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    U know people that could help you RICHARD. :D

Yeah I thought I had it all figured out and got tired/lazy when it came to choosing the gas block so I just ordered the DD since I have mid DD barrel. Let it sit for a few days and started doing more research. That's how I ended up here. Frustrating and costing me more money, but at least I'm gaining knowledge. Yes, I know, ass backwards. I'll give you a call/text this weekend and wait for you to reply in two weeks...lol

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    Yeah I thought I had it all figured out and got tired/lazy when it came to choosing the gas block so I just ordered the DD since I have mid DD barrel. Let it sit for a few days and started doing more research. That's how I ended up here. Frustrating and costing me more money, but at least I'm gaining knowledge. Yes, I know, ass backwards. I'll give you a call/text this weekend and wait for you to reply in two weeks...lol

You just got moved to my 3-4 week response list. Keep it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom