• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    wanna run this by you guys to see if this is reasonable or not. I have a late ww2 :)Danish Garand. I still have a few things to do to it. lately I have been wanting to get into an AR15.
    Would it be feasible to offer a WW2 Dane for a even trade for an AR?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    wanna run this by you guys to see if this is reasonable or not. I have a late ww2 :)Danish Garand. I still have a few things to do to it. lately I have been wanting to get into an AR15.
    Would it be feasible to offer a WW2 Dane for a even trade for an AR?

Its close, a good clean garand goes from $600 to $700 which gets you within shooting distance of a base (e.g., PSA standard stuff no rail) AR. That said, I wouldnt give up a Garand, they make ARs every day.......not so much with garands.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I agree, the Garand is a great collector's piece where as AR15's are a dime a dozen. You don't want to trade that Garand away and end up kicking yourself later on about it.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Its close, a good clean garand goes from $600 to $700 which gets you within shooting distance of a base (e.g., PSA standard stuff no rail) AR. That said, I wouldnt give up a Garand, they make ARs every day.......not so much with garands.

This , gotta agree here . I have a garand and rarely shoot it but no way would I trade it for a AR .

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Id keep the Garand, one is lucky to find one for less than 700 anymore (save CMP) their value keeps going up and once they're gone that's it for the originals. AR's are neat but they still pump them out, besides, join up and you get a real one of them too. :shrug:

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    How many Garands do you need guys? I've sold/traded at least three over the last 18 months. I think our OP may have others in the stable.

That said, a dane just hits the floor for AR prices....and that assumes some good WWII parts.

IF you can trade a dane for a decent ar even with a small cash kicker added in? Do it. You will come out ahead. A garand will already hold it's value better but with a dane/AR trade you will have captured more of the garands current appreciation and ended up with something easier to sell down the road and more fun to shoot in the meanwhile.

Of course now I'm looking at some of my AR's wondering where the trade point would be...

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have been looking for a garand any suggestions on a good website or shop to find one? I do not want a reproduction one...

Thanks matt

The Civilian Marksmanship Program will FedEx a genuine US Army surplus Service Grade Garand direct to your front door for just under $650, including shipping.

http://www.odcmp.com/sales.htm

The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a U.S. government-chartered program that promotes firearms safety training and rifle practice for all qualified U.S. citizens with special emphasis on youth. Any U.S. citizen who is legally not prohibited from owning a firearm may purchase a military surplus rifle from the CMP, provided they are a member of a CMP affiliated club.

RM1SAS M1 Garand, SA (Springfield) Service Grade
    Please allow 30-60 days for delivery
    *See above for grade description
    $625 Effective 1-3-2012
    S&H $24.95 per rifle
    RM1HRAS M1 Garand, HRA (Harrington & Richardson)
    Service Grade
    Please allow 30-60 days for delivery
    *See above for grade description
    $625 Effective 1-3-2012
    S&H $24.95 per rifle

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm

It's easy to meet the qualifications. Once you realize this is the way to go, we can explain the absurdly simple steps to get your order in.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Do they make reproduction garands? I knew they made repo 1903's but not Garands...

Funny you asked if you're not playing around. A company made cast Garand receivers, the name of the company? Drumroll................ "CAI". OK, you're now either informed or you got us. :)

I never heard of them until I saw a GROSSLY over priced one at a hock shop a few years ago. Internet research and people here said leave it be.

http://m14forum.com/steel-wood/74810-c-i-receivers.html

Cai

Jul 5, 2011
    Poolsville
    Funny you asked if you're not playing around. A company made cast Garand receivers, the name of the company? Drumroll................ "CAI". OK, you're now either informed or you got us. :)

I never heard of them until I saw a GROSSLY over priced one at a hock shop a few years ago. Internet research and people here said leave it be.

http://m14forum.com/steel-wood/74810-c-i-receivers.html

Pure coincidence. I only knew about the Gibbs rifle: http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a4_sniper_rifle_.html

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Do what makes you happy and makes sense for your collecting/shooting interests. You're looking at the two most popular rifles in the collecting and shooting communities so from that perspective I'd say it's a wash. And it shouldn't be a problem finding an AR with the same dollar value as the Dane so that's a wash. The deciding value should rest on your interests, such as they are at this point in time. You're the one who has to live with it. If the Dane doesn't make your heart race or it lives in the safe and you're primarily a shooter then maybe it's time to trade it off. Esp. if you're not keeping it as an investment.
    Me, I'm a collector who occasionally shoots (less and less every year it seems) so the Dane would be staying in my safe. But I already have an SP-1 that makes me smile at the range so that itch has been scratched. If I was a shooter then the choice of an AR would be a no-brainer, as nice as Garands are to shoot (IMHO).

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I'd keep the Garand if it were a correct grade or collector grade, but a Dane, I don't know. With the cmp still having a bunch of us garands, I'm not sure I would want a Dane.

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    My reasons are two fold. First my other SA is my shooter and the Dane just sits. The poodle shooter will be for home defense but mainly for.my wife. Like I said previously I still have some work to do on the Dane before id feel comfortable working any trade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom