• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • d'Artagnan

Nov 4, 2008
    Ellicott City
    Lot Numbers--the Remington (and Peters for that matter) primer lot numbers ending in 5061 -- which are different from the ammunition lot numbers -- start in the late 1920's, when Remington initially brought out non-corrosive/non-mercuric primers, and continue into the 1970's. I haven't been able to equate them with dates. The boxes, however, sport the phrase "Keep out of reach of children" which became mandatory in 1963 -- so the primers are post 1962. The Remington green box with lot number N12Y does not have the "Keep out of reach" so is pre-1963, and is in the 1946-1960 packaging. The leading N indicates the first half of either 1947 or 1958 -- they cycle every 11 years, the 12 equates to the 12th day, and Y is some month in the first half of 1947 or 1958. The Remington red box with lot B10Y11 is post-1962 component packaging, which didn't initially require the "Keep out of Reach" warning. The B equates to the last half of 1973 or 1984, 10 for the 10th day, and Y for some month in the last half of 1973 or 1984. The Winchester primer box probably contains a wooden tray so the R in its lot number is for 1960 -- they cycle every 20 years -- and the K for the month of September. Because that lot number includes the L237 (the true lot number) I can't get closer than month/year.
    Regarding asking the companies for the manufacture dates, I have. Half the time they don't reply at all, a quarter of the time they don't know but give you some implausible story, and a quarter of the time they tell you its "proprietary information" (company secrets). I've found it best to figure it out on my own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom