• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    I've been seriously considering the G30 SF for CC when my Utah permit arrives. But I recently read that Glock compacts, that use the dual recoil spring setup, are prone to breakage of the plastic guide rod. There was even an LE department that posted an internal memo, warning officers of "a reliability issue" with these pistols.

I'm not sure if it's true but it was enough for me to consider an alternative. The Wilson has a great rep, most of you know that but it costs twice as much as a G30 with all the Robar custom work I was planning on.

What do you all think about this? What gun would you choose?

Last edited:

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'd pick the Wilson Combat. I've handled a few and they are VERY well built. Although it would be a shame to put holster wear on such a nice 1911, it won't let you down.

The Glock is something you can depend on, and not worry about the finish. If you feel squeamish putting wear on guns, this may be the better option for you.

I personally think if you're gonna carry a .45 it might as well be a 1911 or SIG 220.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I love my G30sf. The recoil guide rod I have never had a problem with. Not a big deal. A wolff guide rod replacement was recommended to me by Dan at GC. Great gun. But you gotta weigh the facts. I personally don't have the money to spend on a Wilson. But you also have to understand that if you were to actually have to use it. The state police will confiscate and prob loose the gun. So really you have to ask how much money you are potentially willing to part with? A glock that is replaceable fairly quickly or something custom?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I love my G30sf. The recoil guide rod I have never had a problem with. Not a big deal. A wolff guide rod replacement was recommended to me by Dan at GC. Great gun. But you gotta weigh the facts. I personally don't have the money to spend on a Wilson. But you also have to understand that if you were to actually have to use it. The state police will confiscate and prob loose the gun. So really you have to ask how much money you are potentially willing to part with? A glock that is replaceable fairly quickly or something custom?

Your life is more valuable than any gun. By your logic a High Point or Lorcin would be the best choice based on potential loss of investment.

Buy the best and most effective tool you can afford. If you have to use it to defend your life it won't matter how much you paid for it. Better to be on this side of the dirt.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was under the impression the dual coil spring was in the generation 4 Glocks. As of now there is no Generation 4 G30 IIRC.

I have a G30 and it's flawless and at least half the cost of a Wilson. As someone pointed out, are you prepared to lose such an expensive piece if you are involved in a shooting? You can probably buy 3 G30's for the price of a Wilson..

The G30 is an excellent CCW pistol IMO

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    Smores. While i respect your opinion. I disagree. I was stating that for the money the glock has proven itself time and time again to me. I don't need a $2000 handgun that will essentially get the same job done with the same reliability. The 30 works great for me. I don't need a boatload of cash to buy the best. And if it gets confiscated and I had the money to throw away on a custom 1911 as a carry pistol, I prob can just buy another one based on the fact I had money for an over the top carry pistol. The wilson is a beautiful gun and trust me when I say that I'm not questioning the reliability. However, as a ccw pistol I want a workhorse, not a show horse. Also. You have to factor in the "scary hair trigger" all 1911 and single action pistols have. As it was pointed out to me you don't want to give the DA any ammo against you if you had to use it...pardon the pun

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Smores. While i respect your opinion. I disagree. I was stating that for the money the glock has proven itself time and time again to me. I don't need a $2000 handgun that will essentially get the same job done with the same reliability.

Since we're talking about opinions, that's simply what I gave. I did say that the Glock will work, and in case it's not been clear by any of my other posts in the Handgun section here - I like Glocks and would not hesitate to rely upon one. There's a current post about me purchasing a Glock 19 for carry use...

Anyway, I digress. You just asked for my opinion, and you got it. ;) I guess I forgot to add "if you can't afford a Wilson Combat then a Glock or many other handguns will suit your needs." There are many weapons on the market that don't cost an arm and a leg that you can depend upon.

Given the choice (if I could afford both) I'd take the Wilson Combat. That is all, carry on. No hard feelings. :beer:

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    No hard feelings at all. Just conversation. The wilson is a beautiful pistol. Nighthawk is my favorite Ritzy 1911 however. They make the talon for ccw. If I had the cash that would be next on my list.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    You are comparing apples and oranges. They are both great guns but the Wilson is a masterpiece that is meant to last a few lifetimes and shoot one ragged hole. The Glock is a workhorse that will shoot well but will in all likelihood not be around 40 or 50 years from now, the wilson will.

I carry an Ed Brown or a G27 and there are a few things you need to ask yourself before deciding which gun to buy as there is a considerable difference in price. Are you comfortable with the fact that you will be bumping your Wilson, scratching your Wilson, sweating on your Wilson and having the finish worn down on your Wilson? Are you okay with the police confiscating your gun for a year or two? If the answer is no to any one of these questions then buy the Glock because you will be too worried about your gun all the time and end up getting an ulcer over it.

As others have said, it will be confiscated if you are involved in a shooting but if justified it will be returned, if it wasn't a clean shoot then getting the gun back will be the least of your worries.

NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I think Wilson wants to deliver the most reliable 1911 on the market above all else. The fact that they're so well made and so much attention is payed to every detail, is a case of form leading to function.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Thanks for the opinions guys. I think Wilson wants to deliver the most reliable 1911 on the market above all else. The fact that they're so well made and so much attention is payed to every detail, is a case of form leading to function.

You might want to save yourself a couple dollars and look at the Ed Brown custom stuff, the QC is a bit better on the Ed Brown imho.

NEAL4470

Jan 28, 2008
    Pasadena, MD
    The most important thing about this purchase is that, if I need it, it goes bang. The whole point of carrying is to defend ones life or the lives of others. I don't give a damn about wear and tear, the Wilson would have to endure whatever bumps and bruses the Glock would face. ;)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know I will regret this :) but between the 2 I would get the Wilson if finances allow.

I would honestly prefer a USP Compact Tactical in .45ACP, but thats just me

Wilson dosent fall into the chad 1911 hate box. :)

The Glock and 1911 are truly apples and oranges.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I would be to worried to carry a wilson or Kimber for everyday carry. Glock for sure so you can beat it up.

I would wholly agree with 3rdR’s summary, you have to ask yourself what you are willing to give up, as initial reliability is IMHO the same. But since this conversation has turned into Fantasy Football why not get both. Wear the AK of handguns for the casual or workday environment, and keep the Wilson for those special black tie events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom