• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I another thread about purchasing an AR out of state. Not questioning any of that but one of the posters seemed to indicate that out of state purchases must always go through an FFL.

This doesn't sound right to me if the firearm is not regulated. I can go to a friend's house in VA and purchase a bolt rifle from him if I want to, right?

Sorry but my search-foo is failing me on this one.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Nope, NO firearms sales by non-licensees (Non-FFLs) across state lines, regardless of the type of firearm.

MD resident to MD resident or VA resident to VA resident sale of a bolt rifle would be fine.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    No, you cannot, with rare exceptions such as if it's C&R-eligible and you are a C&R FFL. It's federal law. Gun Control Act of 1968. Interstate purchases must go through an FFL dealer.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    If it is NON regulated... He can meet you at his Va. FFL or at your Md. FFL for the transfer. But an FFL IS necessary for the sale from residents of one state to residents of another.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I believe you probably just asking a generalized question about private party rifle purchases out of state and you just happened to read about this under a thread on AR's...but just to be clear: Assuming you're a Maryland resident, buying an AR (unless an HBAR) would be illegal to buy even from an FFL. But HBARs are unregulated (as are all legal to purchase rifles in Maryland are at this point). Unless, as BoomBoom starts you have a C&R License and the item is C&R (and not otherwise banned).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For some it is. As old as I am I remember when that became law but that was a LONG time ago.

Well, news means NEW information.

And something from 1968 is a bit old. Not that everyone knows it. But hard to use the excuse, well it is a new law/rule so I did not know about it. :lol2:

joemac

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2010
    West Point Va
    My thoughts are that if both parties consented, and it was unregulated, who would ever know? Oh, that old rifle, I sold that to some guy years ago...

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    My thoughts are that if both parties consented, and it was unregulated, who would ever know? Oh, that old rifle, I sold that to some guy years ago...

He asked about the law, not whether anyone thought he would get caught if he broke a federal law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom