FSB -> AR-15 Low Pro Gas Block Questions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    I have a 10.5" Noveske upper with a standard front sight gas block. I want to ditch the FS and go with a low pro gas block and have a few questions...

1. What gas blosk do you guys recommend that can be pinned in and will cover the pin holes from removing the almost 2" long FS? I wanted to go Noveske but their's will not cover both pin channels left over when I remove the old FS.

2. Can anyone recommed a decent gunsmith in the Frederick / Montgomery county area who actually works on AR's like this and can re-pin a gas block? I am going to need to remove the barrel one way or another to get a DD lite rail on their so the FSB will have to go...

3. Would I better off selling this one and just getting a new upper with the low pro gas block already installed? (seems more expensive...)

Yes, I know I can just get a clamp on, but I really want it done properly and the more I read the more I realize I really need to have it pinned.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

EngageSmith

Industry Partner
    May 31, 2011
    Kensington, MD
    If you want to cover the pin hole left after removing the FSB, the LaRue Tactical gas block will work well, and will fit under most (MOST) rails. However it is secured with set screws, not pinned. If the barrel is correctly dimpled (which I can certainly do) it shouldn't move, since the set screws actually have something to bite into, and the jig we use locates the dimples from the gas port, ensuring perfect alignment. I've installed a few of these with excellent results.

It can be ordered here: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-low-profile-gas-block-lt-202

The Noveske LPGB (and its clones) can be pinned, which we can also do, but as you have observed it will not cover the pin hole.

A true clamp-on, I do not recommend. Properly installed (dimpled barrel) set-screw gas blocks work great. Knight's Armament Co. uses them on their SR-15 E3 rifles, which should tell us something. ;)

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I've seen Garrett work with gas blocks and install rails. He does good work!

Let us know how the DD Lite rail works out for you. I'm thinking about throwing one on my 20 inch AR at some point.

Fire-4-Effect

Aug 3, 2008
    Frederick, Md
    If you want to cover the pin hole left after removing the FSB, the LaRue Tactical gas block will work well, and will fit under most (MOST) rails. However it is secured with set screws, not pinned. If the barrel is correctly dimpled (which I can certainly do) it shouldn't move, since the set screws actually have something to bite into, and the jig we use locates the dimples from the gas port, ensuring perfect alignment. I've installed a few of these with excellent results.

It can be ordered here: http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-low-profile-gas-block-lt-202

The Noveske LPGB (and its clones) can be pinned, which we can also do, but as you have observed it will not cover the pin hole.

A true clamp-on, I do not recommend. Properly installed (dimpled barrel) set-screw gas blocks work great. Knight's Armament Co. uses them on their SR-15 E3 rifles, which should tell us something. ;)

Just sent you a PM

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just cut the FSB down to a low-pro gas block. It's easy to do and free. The new Troy Alpha rail instals directly to the factory barrel nut so you could easily do this work yourself if you chose to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom