• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    On the other hand I see offers to transfer banned mags out of state all the time. Isn't that the same thing? know the rules so don't need any directions to them BTW, which is why my banned guns have gone on GB.

You're right, there are banned items that get put in the classifieds. Another of the "rules" if you read them, is that the site is self policing, so people should be reporting these to the Mods.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Teratos -NO I did not offer for sale in Maryland..........what are you insane? why would I sell or attempt to sell an illegal weapon? Why would I want to go to jail or loose my own collection? Ive owned machine guns, other guns my entire life, well aware of all laws, not going to sacrifice all that for an AK........or any gun for that matter. BUT no problem......

Look at it from the site admin perspective. This is MARYLAND Shooters. The gun is banned in Maryland. It is in the MARYLAND Shooters classifieds. If MARYLAND gets a bug up their ass, it is a big inconvenience. While you are technically correct, why should the admin take the chance?

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Im not angry at all to all reading this post. However if offering an illegal weapon (only in Maryland) for sale to anyone living out of Maryland is illegal ..................then that would be NEW to me. And honestly that would be silly, that would mean everyone living in Maryland with weapons that were owned legally before Awe Malley took over would be stuck with those same firearms for life.......
    To the first bolded, it may be battered gun owner syndrome (BGOS) but offering to sell, even to NON Marylanders only, could be construed as offering to sell period and thus illegal under FSA2013. Not worth the risk to me and to the mods it seems.

As for the second bolded, there is no prohibition to taking your WASR out of state and selling it there according to Federal laws.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Put it on gunbroker and be done with this foolishness.

The owner and mods of the forum make the rules.

End of story.

StaFrosty

Feb 20, 2011
    Not in MD anymore!!
    He was making a joke.

That said... You have 259 posts and you are poking at people with thousands.

Just sayin'
    :innocent0

Yep, joke, easy enough to figure out. Eh, that post number don't mean a hill o beans to me, just shows me some people like to flap their gums over nothing and run that number up. I myself like to read the posts and see whom likes to puff their chest out, and, even make a fool of themselves.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    The Owner and Site Staff are playing it safe and who can blame them? The site has been taken to court before and been threatened with lawsuits. These actions require legal representation and time from work even if they are unfounded. They are playing on the WAYsafe side of MD Law. Since MDS is in MD they are doing what they need to do to survive and stay off the radar.

There are other boards where you can post an AD like that but its not ok here. Its not personal.

Yes, there are other legal views on this, but MDS is not a democracy, its Private Property and thus they can make any files they wish.

A cogent, thoughtful, accurate answer not laced with sarcasm or attitude. Wouldn't mind seeing more of this in this particular sub-forum...

You're right, there are banned items that get put in the classifieds. Another of the "rules" if you read them, is that the site is self policing, so people should be reporting these to the Mods.

Actually, I once pointed this out to the mods (about mags) and the answer I got back was that the ad did not violate the rules as the mags were offered for exchange out of state. Given Clandestine's info above, the mods are in an unenviable position. I didn't know the forum had been taken to court before. That's a shame.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    A cogent, thoughtful, accurate answer not laced with sarcasm or attitude. Wouldn't mind seeing more of this in this particular sub-forum...

Actually, I once pointed this out to the mods (about mags) and the answer I got back was that the ad did not violate the rules as the mags were offered for exchange out of state. Given Clandestine's info above, the mods are in an unenviable position. I didn't know the forum had been taken to court before. That's a shame.

The most recent incident that I remember involved a company that wanted to become an IP, but the site was not accepting IP's at the time. At that point a rep for the company started to advertize on MDS in the classifieds as a company with items for sale. That is a blatant violation of forum rules as we know.

The company took the site to court because their reasoning was; if members can use it to sell things, they should be able to sell things, even though the rules say otherwise.

The company lost the lawsuit and that is the way it is.

EDIT:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158911

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    The most recent incident that I remember involved a company that wanted to become an IP, but the site was not accepting IP's at the time. At that point a rep for the company started to advertize on MDS in the classifieds as a company with items for sale. That is a blatant violation of forum rules as we know.

The company took the site to court because their reasoning was; if members can use it to sell things, they should be able to sell things, even though the rules say otherwise.

The company lost the lawsuit and that is the way it is.

Man, whoever did that must have been sly as a fox!

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Look at it from the site admin perspective. This is MARYLAND Shooters. The gun is banned in Maryland. It is in the MARYLAND Shooters classifieds. If MARYLAND gets a bug up their ass, it is a big inconvenience. While you are technically correct, why should the admin take the chance?

By that logic Atlantic Firearms needs to take down ads for AK rifles on their website even though they are not for sale in the state.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Logic is not the issue IMO. The owners/mods made a decision and a rule to prevent possible legal issues that might arise.

End of story

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Logic is not the issue IMO. The owners/mods made a decision and a rule to prevent possible legal issues that might arise.

End of story
    +1

By that logic Atlantic Firearms needs to take down ads for AK rifles on their website even though they are not for sale in the state.
    But cannot Atlantic, as an FFL, offer the AKs to out-of-state buyers?

May be BGOS but we, as citizens probably shouldn't do that sans FFL.

Feb 28, 2013
    +1

But cannot Atlantic, as an FFL, offer the AKs to out-of-state buyers?

May be BGOS but we, as citizens probably shouldn't do that sans FFL.

No reason why we can't, as long as an FFL handles the transfer on the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom