• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knightfall

Oct 9, 2013
    Went into the police barracks the other day, ready to have a handgun gifted to me. I had the printed sheet with my approved HQL number and everything. The trooper says he cant help me because I dont have the card yet. I explain that Ive been waiting 2 weeks for the card and that I called the licensing division and they said all I needed was my approved number to put on the 77r. He replies, sorry cant help, come back with your card.

I was kinda annoyed, but no biggie, I'll come back whenever the heck the state sends me my card.

Short story, going to the police barracks to transfer a handgun? Take your physical HQL card.

Knightfall

Oct 9, 2013
    I guess I could have tried, but honestly I was in a hurry to get in and out. Going to a police station with a firearm in your trunk is not the best feeling in the world.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Does a gift even need go to a barracks? Or it is like inheritance, that only needs the form sent to MSP within 5 days???

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I look at it this way. Why even have a picture card hql id when everyone thinks "just a number" should be good enough?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    ^^^^^

THIS.

A number does not verify your identity to the LEO or an FFL. When a LEO stops you, and asks for your DL, you just can't give him the number on the permit. He needs to see your "face" to verify your identity. An FFL will have the same requirement

Lgoging into the MSP HQL web site doesn't show your picture either.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    ^^^^^

THIS.

A number does not verify your identity to the LEO or an FFL. When a LEO stops you, and asks for your DL, you just can't give him the number on the permit. He needs to see your "face" to verify your identity. An FFL will have the same requirement

Lgoging into the MSP HQL web site doesn't show your picture either.

I agree except that the HQL is still in startup mode. MSP should cut a little slack if its their fault the card is still being processed. How do we know their resources haven't been redirected since the initial debut? Suppose they go into a 6-8 month wait to process the cards?
    You didn't have to show your handgun training certificate previously, only put the number on the form.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP was responsible for checking the training cert. The onus is on the FFL or the MSP barracks to verify your identity in the case of the HQL. Different level of proof.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    MSP was responsible for checking the training cert. The onus is on the FFL or the MSP barracks to verify your identity in the case of the HQL. Different level of proof.

This. Can't they cross check the HQL number & info with one's driver's license?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    This. Can't they cross check the HQL number & info with one's driver's license?

I don't know if anyone can check an HQL number from a computer without having the individual HQL holder log in.

The only iron clad way to do this is to present both.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I agree except that the HQL is still in startup mode. MSP should cut a little slack if its their fault the card is still being processed. How do we know their resources haven't been redirected since the initial debut? Suppose they go into a 6-8 month wait to process the cards?

By law it's 30 days.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    By law it's 30 days.

Just an observation/question for argument's sake- 30 days from what? Initial application or from the time all the requirements are completed? (I think it's the latter).

The OP said he was waiting 2 weeks for the card- so I assume (but do not know for sure) that the two week clock had started after he was notified the HQL was approved and he had his number. So the 30 day clock would have started, I think, some time before that (as long as they took to assimilate the completed requirements, do whatever background checks they do, etc) and approve the application.
    So we don't know that it hasn't been 30 days. Probably pretty close to 30 days.
    Two weeks to mail the card seems excessive to me.

But then my initial premise might be wrong.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Just an observation/question for argument's sake- 30 days from what? Initial application or from the time all the requirements are completed? (I think it's the latter).

The OP said he was waiting 2 weeks for the card- so I assume (but do not know for sure) that the two week clock had started after he was notified the HQL was approved and he had his number. So the 30 day clock would have started, I think, some time before that (as long as they took to assimilate the completed requirements, do whatever background checks they do, etc) and approve the application.
    So we don't know that it hasn't been 30 days. Probably pretty close to 30 days.
    Two weeks to mail the card seems excessive to me.

But then my initial premise might be wrong.

It is thirty days from them receiving the completed application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom