• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Wifey wants a foregrip added to her AR, she currently has a Magpul MOE hand guard...and I know I can add it (waiting on the rail now) but I was thinking about adding a free float since the front site was already shaved. Clearly someone either wanted a full length rail or had one on it.

I know this is a difference of free float vs drop in (like she has now) which is why I ask. If she wants a foregrip...I want to help her in any way I can...one way I am hoping will be slightly better accuracy when hot. I know it's not a huge difference...but any little bit helps.

I see rails from $50-400. Why would I need a $400 rail over a $50 rail?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Wifey wants a foregrip added to her AR, she currently has a Magpul MOE hand guard...and I know I can add it (waiting on the rail now) but I was thinking about adding a free float since the front site was already shaved. Clearly someone either wanted a full length rail or had one on it.

I know this is a difference of free float vs drop in (like she has now) which is why I ask. If she wants a foregrip...I want to help her in any way I can...one way I am hoping will be slightly better accuracy when hot. I know it's not a huge difference...but any little bit helps.

I see rails from $50-400. Why would I need a $400 rail over a $50 rail?

some are made cheap some are not.. maybe the $50 is made from china..
    :shrug:

also check.. some are drop in 2 pieces.. that still uses the delta ring. if you want to really free float.. you need to remove the delta ring and add new barrel nut for the free float rail.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    some are made cheap some are not.. maybe the $50 is made from china..
    :shrug:

also check.. some are drop in 2 pieces.. that still uses the delta ring. if you want to really free float.. you need to remove the delta ring and add new barrel nut for the free float rail.

Yeah, most of the UTG (from China) are drop in "free floating" which I don't quite grasp...if it's drop in...inherently it will be touching the barrel lol.

I'm not looking to cut price so much as understand why. I see some from $50-150...those I can see huge differences...but from $150-400...I don't see any difference. I was hoping I was missing something and could be enlightened.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Best explanation would be material selection. And then required machining time. Followed by brand name.

Take centurion rails vs midwest rails.

Both are two peice, both are the same aluminum type, both are quad rails. Though one is more expensive than the other.

Based on visual comparison, the centurion has more curves and more smaller holes for weight and heat. The midwest rail has larger holes and more flat planes. Summary is that one rail spends more time being machined leading to most of the cost difference.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    ^Thanks...but does that some how equate into a piece that will last 20 years vs a piece that will break under pressure? I mean...it's aluminum...and light shooting.

I'd love to find a poly rail to keep the weight down...I know that wont happen though. Pipe dreams.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ^Thanks...but does that some how equate into a piece that will last 20 years vs a piece that will break under pressure? I mean...it's aluminum...and light shooting.

I'd love to find a poly rail to keep the weight down...I know that wont happen though. Pipe dreams.

i swear i saw one recently.. just cant remember where..

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    i swear i saw one recently.. just cant remember where..

It's a Carbon Fiber (POLY) lower and upper...makes sense to have a poly rail lol. The upper is poly with a flat rail screwed into it. You would think a free float could be made the same.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    It's a Carbon Fiber (POLY) lower and upper...makes sense to have a poly rail lol. The upper is poly with a flat rail screwed into it. You would think a free float could be made the same.

no.. i mean the rails/handguards are made of poly.. off hands.. i think its cabelas shooting catalog..

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I guess I was trying to say is that you more than likely won't see much of a difference.

Now KAC and daniel defense are generally associated with being actual military rifle equipment vs other manufacturs.

I have no doubt that there are differences, I'm just not convince that most will ever use their rifles in a way were the differences will be noticed.

I like my MI gen2 2 peice rail and I like my centurion rails.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I guess I was trying to say is that you more than likely won't see much of a difference.

Now KAC and daniel defense are generally associated with being actual military rifle equipment vs other manufacturs.

I have no doubt that there are differences, I'm just not convince that most will ever use their rifles in a way were the differences will be noticed.

I like my MI gen2 2 peice rail and I like my centurion rails.

You are correct...it wont be abused. I just didn't want to buy something pot metal vs aircraft aluminum. Didn't know what I was missing.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks. I see that. It weighs almost 1 pound. The rifle is 5.5lbs loaded...wonder how that will feel.

I will let you know I am waiting on few things for my LRB build but I imagine your wife will appreciate the rail plus the 20% weight increase as opposed to the 25% increase from their regular rail or anyone elses that are comparable.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Will probably add .25 to .5 pounds to the rifle weight, assuming your looking at the 12" rail vs a carbine length moe handguard and then depending on rail covers selected probably a few more ounces there. Big thing is it will probably shift the balance point forward, changing how the rifle feels due to balance.

If your going from a mid length to 12" or 10" the total increase shift will be different.

Another thing to consider is overall rail diameter, some are 2.5 inches and others a narrower.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I will let you know I am waiting on few things for my LRB build but I imagine your wife will appreciate the rail plus the 20% weight increase as opposed to the 25% increase from their regular rail or anyone elses that are comparable.

Yeah, she is my main concern. She isn't weak..but standing and firing can make anyone tired. Every little bit helps. She wants the foregrip because she doesn't like the mag well trick I showed her lol. So I want to make sure her shots aren't affected by this.

Will probably add .25 to .5 pounds to the rifle weight, assuming your looking at the 12" rail vs a carbine length moe handguard and then depending on rail covers selected probably a few more ounces there. Big thing is it will probably shift the balance point forward, changing how the rifle feels due to balance.

If your going from a mid length to 12" or 10" the total increase shift will be different.

Another thing to consider is overall rail diameter, some are 2.5 inches and others a narrower.

Yup...she has a carbine MOE on now and I didn't think it weighed that much...but 4-8 ounces isn't a lot I guess. I do want at least a 12" rail to cover the shaved sight and put a hard sight out further for more accurate shooting.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    When looking for a free float rail, there are a few factors that I consider before I purchase that would lead me to paying more or less for a rail.

1. Weight. Weight is everything. I'm willing to pay for a lighter rail.
    2. Attachment system. Almost all companies rails attach to the upper receiver in different ways. Some are easier to align with the top rail of the upper than others. This can be frustrating to get perfect. Additionally some methods of attaching are more secure than others. I'm willing to pay extra for a secure method of attachment that is easily aligned with the upper.
    3. Diameter. I like thinner rails. I went from a YHM rail, to a thinner Troy, to an even thinner Midwest rail. I find the thinner the rail, the more comfortable it is for me to shoot over long periods. It's also lighter if thinner.
    4. Number of rails. This is an inverse proportion for me. I don't like quad rails, I do like having the ability to place a rail where you need it on the hand guard. That way you don't waste weight on rails you don't need, and you have a more comfortable hold on the hand guard since you aren't squeezing picatinny rail. Most of us don't need the rail space of full quad rails going down the hand guard so stay away from full quad rails if you want comfort.

If you get a smooth free float rail, you might find that you don't need a vertical grip at all. I put my thumb on the top rail and wrap my outstretched weak side hand around the bottom of the smooth hand guard, super control of the gun and very comfortable.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom