• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I just moved here from upstate NY and I'm used to shooting outdoors/plinking. I can't wrap my head around going to a pistol range (yet). Are there any places around the Baltimore area that I can go and shoot my handguns for free outdoors? Any advice/direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

where exactly do you live, this would help.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Welcome to sardine can living. Pay the fees and shoot at a range. A free places to shoot will just give you a free ride to the free overnight lodging ran by the government. AKA Jail

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Other than private property, you're TSOL. As others have mentioned, Hap Baker is the closest to free (I've been a member there for 7 years.) A yearly membership is $85, but be aware: because it is cheap and shooting sports have gotten more popular, Hap Baker also gets ungodly crowded on the weekends, with waits upwards of 2 1/2 hours in the Fall.

I joined Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore this weekend, mostly because I can't stand the wait at Hap Baker, anymore.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Other than private property, you're TSOL. As others have mentioned, Hap Baker is the closest to free (I've been a member there for 7 years.) A yearly membership is $85, but be aware: because it is cheap and shooting sports have gotten more popular, Hap Baker also gets ungodly crowded on the weekends, with waits upwards of 2 1/2 hours in the Fall.

I joined Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore this weekend, mostly because I can't stand the wait at Hap Baker, anymore.

That's where I shoot, streeter2. I'm in the city, too and the AGC for a yearly membership is cheaper than any indoor range about.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    In Manassas, Clark Brothers (outdoor range). No cost to join/shoot, but you have to buy your ammo there. It's not as cheap as WallyWorld.

However, the range is 100% supervised and the range safety officers are HARD CORE about safety. Pay attention to the rules, and you'll have a fun day. Of all the ranges I've been to in the area, that is probably the safest one going.

Their range/gun shop is in Warrenton, Virginia, not Manassas, unless something has changed in the last 6 months.

What are the prices actually like though?

Be prepared to be pay almost double Internet prices on most ammo. The markup is insane. I usually buy half of the ammo there and "sneak" the other half in. As stated, the RO's can be strict, it depends on the RO and the number of patrons using the range.

Honestly, Clark Brothers is one of my least favorite ranges. The shop is nice and the staff is friendly and helpful, but they seem to cater to mostly hunters and, then, CCW holders. If you're an AR/AK guy, you may find the shop lacking.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    You can ask permission to a farmer, to let you shoot on his property, by volunteering to perform chores, or just go and let him buy a pistol or rifle, with your own hard earned money; and he just might let you shoot on his property.

Otherwise...if you can find a member who belongs to one of the AGC clubs over at the Marriottsville Gun Range --- who has the privilege of inviting any number of guests to shoot for free, as long as one guest shoots at one time; and that guest is supervised by the member.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    How are you with manual labor? Myself and 3 members have a place, and it needs some TLC. We let people shoot if they help us a bit.

Cheapest place I can think of is Hap Baker in Carroll County, it's $10 but is still a "range". I don't know of anywhere in Maryland that is free and everybody can just go and shoot however they want to, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It does to people used to living in this gun un-friendly state.
    My in-laws live on 2 acres in Washington State, right next to 32,000 acres of state land.
    Out there, public land is for public use.
    Wanna go 4 wheeling in your truck, they have trails for that.
    Wanna go hunting, pick a spot and go hunting.
    Wanna shoot, pick a spot anywhere on public land and go shooting.
    I had buddies out there that used to elk hunt a full week on state land and never see another person.
    Matter of fact it amazed me that they parked the truck on the logging road and pitched the tent right beside it.
    Whole different world, than a place where we fight over 8 lanes at the local range and wait up to an hour sometimes to shoot.
    I miss it, but along with all that freedom comes almost no employment.
    I prefer to feed my family and fight over lanes at the grove....but every time we go to visit it's hard to board the plane to come home.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    [/B][/COLOR]
    My in-laws live on 2 acres in Washington State, right next to 32,000 acres of state land.
    I had buddies out there that used to elk hunt a full week on state land and never see another person.
    Matter of fact it amazed me that they parked the truck on the logging road and pitched the tent right beside it.
    Whole different world, than a place where we fight over 8 lanes at the local range and wait up to an hour sometimes to shoot.
    I prefer to feed my family and fight over lanes at the grove....but every time we go to visit it's hard to board the plane to come home.

Look at the table at this web site.

http://www.datamasher.org/mash-ups/people-square-mile#table-tab

We live in the area of this great country that has the most people per square mile. Not just this state but our neighboring states as well. We truly live in an sardine can and must make an attempt to play well with others.

For under $250 dollars per year you can join one of the Associated Clubs and shoot 350 +/- days a year at a Baltimore area outdoor gun range.

Mount Washington Gun and Rod Club has very simple membership requirements that can be fulfilled in one day.

jmitche4

Jan 25, 2012
    Go knock on some dorrs of people with land. Tell them what you intentions are and offer up something in return. I have never dont his for shooting rights, however I have done it multilple times for hunting. Best of luck!

seankar

Jan 22, 2012
    Millsboro, DE
    Welcome from Elkton and Millsboro, DE
    as far as ranges go it's not free but for $50 a year you can enjoy Elk Neck State Forest ranges right outside of North East ,MD. 50 yd pistol, 100 Yd Rifle, Shotgun and archery. Bring your own target stand and check out their webpage to see their rules.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I don't know of anywhere in Maryland that is free and everybody can just go and shoot however they want to, sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Public property you're right... but you must not be around many farms.

I know plenty of people who shoot on private land, all the time.

steeter2

Sep 19, 2012
    Baltimore City
    [/B][/COLOR]

That sounds like heaven to me!

Squib

Oct 5, 2012
    How are you with manual labor? Myself and 3 members have a place, and it needs some TLC. We let people shoot if they help us a bit.

Where's it at? I've got elbow grease to spare, especially if it means that I can start plinking away at clay pigeons, cans, and other fun rifle targets again.
    Be prepared to be pay almost double Internet prices on most ammo. The markup is insane. I usually buy half of the ammo there and "sneak" the other half in. As stated, the RO's can be strict, it depends on the RO and the number of patrons using the range.

Honestly, Clark Brothers is one of my least favorite ranges. The shop is nice and the staff is friendly and helpful, but they seem to cater to mostly hunters and, then, CCW holders. If you're an AR/AK guy, you may find the shop lacking.
    As I recall, their prices are pretty close to what you'd expect to pay in-store for ammo, but since their a couple miles up the road from where my folks live, they're convenient to go out shooting with my dad at.

If there are any quarries, gravel pits, or any places like that in upper VA that let you shoot, they'd be nice to know about, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation to here in MD.

Weel123

On the computer 24/7
    Jul 12, 2012
    Camp Springs,MD
    You can go to The Cove camp ground is Gore, VA. Its a LONG drive, the range is nothing more than a sand pit. You can shoot whatever you want and however you want. No rules, just common sense. 12 bucks for two people, I think its worth it in my opinion, just bring a truck or a 4x4. the gravel road is tough for smaller cars, trust me! Went there yesterday and shot my new wheatherby vanguard in 30-06. Boy does it kick, more recoil than my 12 gauge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom