• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I was at a recent event and got into a convo with a SOT/Class 3 dealer. He swore up and down the a form 20 was needed to transport cans out of state.
    It has always been my understanding that is not the case and form is NOT needed. Did the ATF change the rules on us again or was he mistaken?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    They are clearly wrong, at least for temporary transport across state lines. I would worry about any FFL with a similarly poor understanding of the law.

A written request and prior authorization from ATF to transport interstate or in foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun is required under the provisions of Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C) Section § 922 (a)(4) and Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) § 478.28. A letter of request, in duplicate, containing all information required on this form, may be submitted in lieu of the form.

Last edited:

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Yea, this guy was adamant. I told him it needed for everything else but cans. He got his class 3 less than a year ago. I bought my first can about 15 years ago and never needed a form 20.
    Thats why I asked if the ATF is playing fvck fvck with us again.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20)​

This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate. Persons other than qualified federal firearms licensees (FFLs) or government agencies are required to obtain this permission.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain NFA Firearms (ATF Form 5320.20)​

This form is used to obtain permission to temporarily or permanently move your registered National Firearms Act (NFA) machine gun, short barreled rifle or shotgun, or destructive device interstate. Persons other than qualified federal firearms licensees (FFLs) or government agencies are required to obtain this permission.
    ...yet it does not apply to suppressors.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Chances of getting correct and authoritative legal answers from a gun shop are the same probability of you getting correct and authoritative legal answers from a police officer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom