Form 1 SBR "disapproved" because AW are Illegal in MD??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So now that they're approving new SBRs again, does this mean I should go with the 10.5" 458 socom... or does it not..

What exactly is your question? I know I am going to pull the trigger on two CMT lowers right now. One for a .300 BLK build with a 10.5" barrel and the other for a .458 SOCOM build with a 10.5" barrel. What you should or should not do depends on your wallet, marriage, current collection, future needs, wants, etc. It is going to be different for everybody.

Now, don't you think that everybody should at least have one .458 SOCOM in their "collection" just in case a grizzly bear breaks into the house?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Okay, this brings up a question... as all of my AR pistols are built from 80% lowers, how do you define the lower's manufacturer (me) for the purpose of submitting a form 1 for an SBR?

List your Name and Address and/or Trust Name and Address (City and State Only). Basically the info you would engrave for a a SBR would also be the "Original Manufacturer". You will need to have a Model # and Serial # Engraved as well. You can make those up, as long as they are not a Model of a Maryland " Banned" Firearm IMO.

Its handled like a Factory Title 2 device would be. You are the factory that manufactured the Title 1 Device and the Title 2 Device.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    List your Name and Address and/or Trust Name and Address (City and State Only). Basically the info you would engrave for a a SBR would also be the "Original Manufacturer". You will need to have a Model # and Serial # Engraved as well. You can make those up, as long as they are not a Model of a Maryland " Banned" Firearm IMO.

Its handled like a Factory Title 2 device would be. You are the factory that manufactured the Title 1 Device and the Title 2 Device.
    Thanks Chad... one more question on your response... This was 'manufactured'/completed before I had the trust written up, so technically I was personally the manufacturer, but the trust will be the owner of the completed SBR (assuming approval), the trust did not mfr the lower receiver tho (this is an AR-15).

So, should I list myself as the manufacturer, or would it be better to list the trust, since this is how I would likely prefer to engrave it (they don't know when it was 'mfd'? Should I list both the trust name and addy and mine personally as well, or would that just confuse things. (don't think I have enough room to engrave ALL THAT..lol)?

I wanna try to get it right first time around... :lol2:

I do have s/n's on most all my lowers and they are surely unique, so that part is not an issue, a little more engraving and they would meet the needs of the NFA

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Thanks Chad... one more question on your response... This was 'manufactured'/completed before I had the trust written up, so technically I was personally the manufacturer, but the trust will be the owner of the completed SBR (assuming approval), the trust did not mfr the lower receiver tho (this is an AR-15).

So, should I list myself as the manufacturer, or would it be better to list the trust, since this is how I would likely prefer to engrave it (they don't know when it was 'mfd'? Should I list both the trust name and addy and mine personally as well, or would that just confuse things. (don't think I have enough room to engrave ALL THAT..lol)?

I do have s/n's on most all my lowers and they are surely unique, so that part is not an issue, a little more engraving and they would meet the needs of the NFA

I ran into the same issue as you a few months back. What I did was wait till my SBR approval came back then have the info engraved as such:

Trust Name
    Model
    Caliber
    Serial Number

When you actually filling out the Manufacturer on the eform, it wont allow you to verify yourself. The option I was told at the time was to type "FORM 1 REGISTRATION". Then select the other info from the drop down menus.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    When I was playing around with the form application online a while back, I noticed that the 'drop down list' has a lot of trust names on it... I suspect, but could be wrong, that I should list the trust name/addy as the mfr and once approved, it will then appear on the drop down list for future apps referring to mfr... but... i could be totally wrong on that.. it follows logic.. :lol2:

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    From the ATF regarding the above two posts:

If the applicant is creating the firearm (for example, a silencer or finishing an ‘incomplete receiver’ (that is not yet a firearm)), the applicant will be the maker under the NFA and GCA. Thus, when completing the Line Item (Add Firearm) field, click the “By Manufacturer Code’ button and enter the code ‘FMI’. This code stands for ‘Form 1 Registration’ and the entry can continue. If the model or model and caliber field is not found, click on the box next to ‘My item description is not in the list, create new item’ and add the model or caliber. You will be allowed to submit the application into our Pending Research function in which we validate the information submitted. This should be accomplished in two business days.

If the applicant is modifying an existing firearm, typically a standard configuration rifle into a short barreled rifle, the applicant will still be the maker under the NFA but there will be a manufacturer under the GCA, thus, the form requires the name of the original manufacturer of the firearm. When submitting an eForm 1, on the line item screen, a window for the entry of manufacturer is opened after clicking the Add Firearm button. At this point, the applicant would enter a short version of the manufacturer’s name to bring up a list of names for selection of the manufacturer from the list. Select the correct manufacturer and proceed to the description screen. You may note that the manufacturer code field also populates. We issue a code to a GCA manufacturer. If the firearm type, model or model and caliber field is not found, click on the box next to ‘My item description is not in the list, create new item’ and add the model or caliber. You will be allowed to submit the application, also in to our Pending Research function for validation.

We have noted a number of instances where the submitter checks the box, but failed to find a model or model and caliber that does exist, thus lengthening the submission time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I don't think there is a guideline for that, but it sounds like you will need two groups of engraving on the Lower and the Form 1.

1) Original Manufacturer, Engraved as Follows:
    John Doe
    Anyplace, MD
    Model - Awesome15
    Serial - 123456
    Caliber - 5.56

AND

2) NFA Manufacturer, Engraved as follows:
    Doe Trust
    Anyplace, MD

OR

John Doe/Doe Trust
    Anyplace, MD
    Model - Awesome15
    Serial - 123456
    Caliber - 5.56

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Hmm... okay, then.. perhaps I should just finish a clean 80% lower now, after the trust is established and use that for the SBR build.. sounds easier.. :lol2:
    I have one that is almost done and couple more backups that I can finish out. ;)

WWII_M1er

Oct 3, 2014
    Ok, got a stupid question here...

I thought all SBRs had to be on the approved MSP Handgun roster (e.g. Sig516). Does that mean the lower and/or upper have to be from the Sig516 model or can I purchase any stripped lower and attach it to any ATF approved SBR upper?

I'm not sure why / how MD would even try to enforce this, but who knows with this state anymore.... Hopefully I can get in on this SBR avenue with a Sig516 10" Upper I am looking to buy and a custom engraved "generic" lower through Orion Arms.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    I don't think there is a guideline for that, but it sounds like you will need two groups of engraving on the Lower and the Form 1.

1) Original Manufacturer, Engraved as Follows:
    John Doe
    Anyplace, MD
    Model - Awesome15
    Serial - 123456
    Caliber - 5.56

AND

2) NFA Manufacturer, Engraved as follows:
    Doe Trust
    Anyplace, MD

OR

John Doe/Doe Trust
    Anyplace, MD
    Model - Awesome15
    Serial - 123456
    Caliber - 5.56

There's no requirement to engrave your name personally on title 1 firearms (IE just a lower.) When he does the form 1 the trust is the maker, and trust name, location, serial number, caliber and model (if designated) must be engraved. He does not have to engrave both.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Since Colt HBAR AR15s are not considered copycats, one should theoretically be able to build a HBAR SBR under 29". I am guessing the ATF would also Poo-Poo these submissions though and it would be another round of arguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom