• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I sometimes listen to Patriot radio on Sirrus/XM, a company called Blue Apron must be a sponsor, they talk about it daily. A dear friend of mine is using a competitor company called Hello Fresh. So I decide to see which is better, I read the article below and they compare 6 similar companies. One called Peach Dish got the highest marks.

http://observer.com/2016/01/we-trie...their-4-competitors-one-was-clearly-the-best/

Anyone here use this kind of service or have an opinion? I just joined my local CSA, now is the time of year to join yours.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Find a community supported agriculture (CSA) near you: http://marylandorganic.org/csa/

Or search here: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

Sign up in early March, first pickup is usually in May, pick up every week for about 20 weeks during the growing season. Cost is typically around $30 for 6-8 vegetables per week, so total cost is around $600 for the year. This is just ball-park estimate to give you an idea if you've never looked into it. Support local farming.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Naples, FL and Ocean Pines, MD
    Well, since you hijacked your own thread, I'll bite. I like the CSA option although we're only a household of two now. There's a few viable options for us not too far from Ocean Pines including one that attends the farmer's market each weekend.

Thanks for the PSA.

Back to the original topic, I'm more a DIY kind of person even though intellectually I know that cooking for two can be tough if going for new or exotic ingredients. Will mull it over perhaps.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That's funny, I did hijack my own thread. :)

They are both alternatives to the common supermarket alternative.

We enjoy the experience of once a week driving to the farm area and visiting the big old barn to pick up our weekly vegetables. The first year was fun figuring out what some of the vegetables were, how to prepare and cook them. It's still a nice change of pace.

CSA's are highly recommended.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Friend of mine uses Blue Apron and loves it. Another, called Plated, is an option that I have seen on TV. No personal experience, yet.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    Well, since you hijacked your own thread, I'll bite. I like the CSA option although we're only a household of two now. There's a few viable options for us not too far from Ocean Pines including one that attends the farmer's market each weekend.

Thanks for the PSA.

Back to the original topic, I'm more a DIY kind of person even though intellectually I know that cooking for two can be tough if going for new or exotic ingredients. Will mull it over perhaps.

New store in Berlin across from Burley Oak brewery has a farmers market also every Thursday from 3-6pm.

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    New store in Berlin across from Burley Oak brewery has a farmers market also every Thursday from 3-6pm.

My understanding is that it's the same group of "farmers" (more or less) and they rotate from Berlin to Ocean Pines and West Ocean City on different days. That is my assumption anyway.

Please correct me if you know otherwise. Perhaps I'm confusing yours with another one?

Of course, maybe I should just take a ride on Thursday. :D

Stevie Boy

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That's funny, I did hijack my own thread. :)

They are both alternatives to the common supermarket alternative.

We enjoy the experience of once a week driving to the farm area and visiting the big old barn to pick up our weekly vegetables. The first year was fun figuring out what some of the vegetables were, how to prepare and cook them. It's still a nice change of pace.

CSA's are highly recommended.

Now that we agree on the hijack, the next question is - why is this in The Depot? It would be a stretch to call it "shooting products or information". :D

No answer is necessary. I'm just in one of those moods today.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    My understanding is that it's the same group of "farmers" (more or less) and they rotate from Berlin to Ocean Pines and West Ocean City on different days. That is my assumption anyway.

Please correct me if you know otherwise. Perhaps I'm confusing yours with another one?

Of course, maybe I should just take a ride on Thursday. :D

It is alot of the same farms from the Pines market. Main difference is everyone that does this one grows there own, or buys from other local small farms and advertises it as such.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    My wife was talking to me about this last week. I'd rather just go to the farmers market, the grocery store, or our local vegetable stand. I also do a small vegetable garden for a few things that we like or want to try, like this year I want to try pickling so I'm growing cucumbers.

Her sister started doing this.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I don't understand why people just don't go to the store and buy ingredients instead of paying even more for this yuppy type service.

There's probably a lot you don't understand. Time to get used to it instead of insulting everyone else.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Now that we agree on the hijack, the next question is - why is this in The Depot? It would be a stretch to call it "shooting products or information". :D

No answer is necessary. I'm just in one of those moods today.

Understandable. I put this thread here in 'depot' because I spend many times over more on food than on bullets or guns.

Besides, the definition of depot is literally:

de·pot
    ˈdēpō,ˈdepō
    noun
    a place for the storage of large quantities of equipment, food, or some other commodity.

It is alot of the same farms from the Pines market. Main difference is everyone that does this one grows there own, or buys from other local small farms and advertises it as such.

America would be a lot better off if more people grew their own gardens, and supported local farmers. I'm doing my part. :)

Vegetables.jpg

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    We've used blue apron in the past. I liked it well enough, wife didn't. We get Plated now. The customer service is excellent and if you have one hiccup with your order, it's comped.

I also used Local Harvest a couple of years ago. Not sure what to say about it other than it was hit or miss. Sometimes the stuff was amazing and sometimes it had to go straight into the bin. I did like you can supplement your order with various breads, dairy, etc orders from different companies.

marylandmark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I don't understand why people just don't go to the store and buy ingredients instead of paying even more for this yuppy type service.

Time. Blue Apron pays for itself many times over for us in time. It's as if they are paying me to eat.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Blue Apron is AWESOME!!!

Tuesday we get (2) meals for 4
    Saturday we get (3) meals for 2

I can't say enough good stuff about them!!

Call me cheap but they seem awfully expensive. A friend has it and it is my understanding they deliver everything you need to cook/prepare a meal ? Her son and his wife just hit the farmers mkt every Sun and stock up on ingredients for the week for a lot less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom