• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FnsweetS3

Pro Whack-a-mole chanpion
    Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown
    So... I got a new FNX-9 bought 2 extra mags and was going to use it for 3 gun this spring. Took the gun out to the range today.... TRIED to shoot 250 rounds.

First magazine.... 3 rounds in ....double feed. Clear it... get to the last round...fire it... and click. Slide doesn't lock to the rear when run dry.

Now... I am not your average shooter..... through pistols alone I probably have over 100K or more .... I know it is not me causing the malfunction.

In addition.... every magazine has to be physically PULLED out of the gun.

This gun just got more frustrating as I shot it. Double feeds for MOST mags, only 3 mags actually had the slide lock to the rear and then the whole having the mags hang in the mag well = me pissed off at this gun.

I finally get through the 250 rounds.... with all these malfunctions.... put it back in my gun bag and pull out my SIG 229 (My old duty weapon) and proceed to :party29::party29::party29::party29:.

So... what do you guys have for all of these issues. (Oh yeah.... the sights need adjustment - they are off to the left.... go figure)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Contact chads gunsmith (I mean Scott's) or Garett at engage?

I thought about getting one but decided against it, damn need for a inox bobcat and good lever gun.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd be F'N ticked. Definitely time to give them a call and send it for factory service.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Id send it back Chris. When we both have some free time, we should break in my new (to me) Sig P6 that I should be picking up from Lou this week or next.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Yeah give FN a chance to make it right first before shelling out more of your own money. From what I've heard they have pretty decent customer service which is rare these days.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I know i'll hear something for this, but i just don't know what people see in fn's pistols..

It's not about FNs , you can get a lemon form anyone, I had a Sig 229 that had feeding and ejecting issues, had to send it to Sig to get it fixed. Bottom line is any manufacturer of any product can have a bad one from time to time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and i can appreciate that, some people don't like glocks or sigs, or whatever , etc but one bad gun a bad manufacturer does not make.

I myself have 2 FNP handguns, both function flawlessly and i have never had an issue with more than 1000 rounds through each. I would buy another one.

Just my 2 cents

FnsweetS3

Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown
    I am calling FN tomorrow. Hope they make it right. I'll keep you guys up to date.

It actually felt good shooting when it actually DID.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    I own a FNX9 and have put more than a 100 rnds through it since i got it in dec ..its also my carry gun for work .. i have had no issues with it at all and even bought 2 more mags for a total of 5 . I have shot HP and ball and +P+ wit hno issues .. It did shoot a bit to the left with me and then I played with the different grips until I found what works for me . The trigger has broken in nicely on me .. and yea FN customer service has been good over the years so see what they say .

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    I do not own or shoot one regularly, but the 3 that I have shot of friends worked flawlessly and my friends were putting hundreds of rounds per range time through them.

Hopefully FN will address it and fix it for you, because before this I'd never heard a bad thing and was considering getting one my self in the near future.

FnsweetS3

Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown
    I think what upsets me the most is I was having problems ejecting the magazines before the range (dry fire). I was leaving for the SHOT show in a couple days.... so I figured I would talk to someone there.

When I did.... he tells me I should file down - with a fingernail file-- the 4 ridges inside.... see if that helps. In my mind I am thinking.... really.... that is the answer.... someone couldn't catch this in engineering. So.... I tried it.... and it did help a little.... but did not fix the problem. Then when I hit the range.... and literally had to pull the mags out (where is that bang head smiley).

Next problem is finding and FN Armorer.... and don't even get me started on the fact that there are no big manufacturers making holsters for the FNX9 (LEFT HAND).

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    Did some reading. The double feed and slide not locking back could both be from the spring inside the mag. Reports of bent springs have had the same problems. The mag not dropping free has to do with the magwell having some rough spots. Hit with sandpaper was the remedy. You are not the only one with these problems on the FNX if that makes it any better.

http://fnforum.net/forums/forum.php

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Man, that sucks. My FNX-9 has been perfect so far. Make sure one of the mags isn't bad, mark the 3 and if one causes malfunctions, have FN replace it. If it's not the mags, send the gun back.

Comp-tac Springfield XD 4" holsters fit the FNX with very little modification.

FnsweetS3

Dec 8, 2011
    Taneytown

The ammo used for this gun was brand new (not reload) 9mm Luger (9x19mm) 124 gr FMJ Winchester. The gun was cleaned and lubed before the range. The magazines were loaded 2 days prior to the range and the slide was locked open as per the suggestions of others to enhance a "break in period". A nail file was used to smooth out the ridges.

Thanks for the link though.... I will try to get more reading in later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom