• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    I've always used FMJ / JHP in my pistols but I've come across some Plated Total Metal Jacket ammo and I'm not familiar with this at all. Does anyone here have any experience with it? Is it reliable for target shooting? Are there any drawbacks to using it?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    TMJ is supposed to prevent any lead vapor from being expelled once the round is fired. It is considered safer due to the lead core completely encased in the metal jacket

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Sgt Preston here...

FMJ's cover the nose & side of the bullet...

The rear of the bullet is lead which is exposed to the burning powder during ignition...

The lead may be vaporized & released into the air as the bullet exits the brass casing...

TMJ are a totally enclosed covering...

In theory it minimizes releasing lead vapors...

Some indoor ranges only allow TMJ rounds...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As noted , the TMJ is totally enclosed . TMJ aka Total Metal Jacketed is a Speer terminology. The generic term is plated bullets.

Conventional FMJ used a lead core and a conventional jacket. The Plated process uses a lead core that is then electroplated with copper. Using this process , the thickness of the copper plating can be controled to any desired thickness.

Those with long memories recall "Luballoy" bullets/ ammo from W-W . That was thin enough , there were basically swaged lead bullets that looked cool. ( And they did look way cool.) The Speer TMJ , and the bullets from the two largest independent suppliers ( Rienier Bullet , and Berry's Mfg ) are all specifically designed to be lead pollution free , and certified suitable for use in Glock and other polygonal barelled guns. For other Mfgs , consult directly for specs.

Speer used this technology for their short lived PHP ( plated hollow point ) bullets. These shortly evolved into the justly famous Gold Dot bullets. Berrys and Renier also make bullets of various shapes including RN , T/C , SWC , WC , and HP .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom