• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    How do I determine Which category the officer is going to pigeon-hole me in?

I usually don't wear a tux & pumps to a muddy field to get covered in black powder residue & grease!

To be honest, I think the officer will be more concerned with your gun, than your knife.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Even a Black powder that is unloaded & cased, or in use on a range at a club where I'm a member? That is whacked if it's true.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012

I usually don't wear a tux & pumps to a muddy field to get covered in black powder residue & grease!

If you really have to ask that question, than i'm pretty sure your last name isn't Bag.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    am I missing somthin here or would this be just to simple? Just carry it on your keychain and triming patchs is easy with scissors.

Attachments

• Classic1.jpg
      Classic1.jpg
      9.4 KB · Views: 102

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

I would look for a muddy field with no cops.

atreeves

Apr 6, 2011
    FWIW, I got caught w/ a Gerber LMF II fixed blade knife in my pack going into "a government facility" in Washington DC. The guards who searched my vehicle and found it *IN MY PACK IN THE BACK OF THE CAR*, spoke barely a bit of English :wtf: and next thing I know theres about a dozen of them around me.

This prompted their Supervisor to respond, who thank god, spoke better English. After a short conversation I was told it was illegal to have a blade 4" or longer at a government facility. Things were descalated when I explained where I'm normally sent for work and that I can't carry a firearm since I respond to DC, MD, and VA without prior notice. He was cool but there was no misinterpreting that I should never allow it to happen again.

I BELIEVE I read something in Maryland or Montgomery code about a blade being longer than 4" being illegal as well. Others may be able to clarify.

I still take the blade with me when I'm hiking/camping, but it is no longer in my "work bag" because of the areas I tend to work.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    ok 'splain it to me...
    Really simple. The choice was between a 3 1/2" fixed blade inside a container, & a 6" fixed blade carried openly hanging on a belt. I wasn't looking for a third alternative, just a choice between the 2 presented.

I have both & was trying to decide which of the 2 specified items I would be less likely to be given grief over if the occasion arrived where I interacted with a LEO. This has happened at the range in question, some members are LEOs & we've had visits from LEO's for other reasons too, such as evicting trespassers.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    .....I was told it was illegal to have a blade 4" or longer at a government facility....

At the .gov facility I work at the blade limit is 2".
    Before 9/11 when they didn't care as much and our 4th amendment rights were not routinely violated, I once took a 14" long WWII knuckle knife to work for show and tell. My coworkers wanted to see it and I enjoy showing my collection off. Those were the good old days.
    To the OP, carry the small knife in the container so it won't be seen. If nobody sees it nobody can harass you for it.

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    Really simple. The choice was between a 3 1/2" fixed blade inside a container, & a 6" fixed blade carried openly hanging on a belt. I wasn't looking for a third alternative, just a choice between the 2 presented.

I have both & was trying to decide which of the 2 specified items I would be less likely to be given grief over if the occasion arrived where I interacted with a LEO. This has happened at the range in question, some members are LEOs & we've had visits from LEO's for other reasons too, such as evicting trespassers.

Got it! I looked to an alternative that probably would not have been questioned in any way by a LEO.

Given the choice between the two alternatives I would choose the 3 1/2 incher as it is less likley to be found. "Out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing AND it is plausible to explain it's presence as a "tool" vice the 6 inch blade which could be regarded as a weapon and is likley to draw attention from a LEO.
    When you're arrested the news story would likley say "a heavily armed man carrying a rifle and a six inch knife...":sad20:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    the news story would likely say "a heavily armed man carrying a rifle and a six inch knife..."
    Yeah, probably would have come out like that.:sad20:

What pisses me off is that it's not illegal, just disliked & therefore open to "loose & wide interpretation". I wonder what all the other "knife wielding maniac Joe Shit the rag bag" carriers, like reenactors & SCUBA divers do?

I tried cutting patches with scissors & things but one thing that is really hard to do is trim evenly round the ball while it is sitting in the muzzle with anything except a knife blade. You can do a rough pre-cut at home with scissors, but trimming so the patch is evenly trimmed after short starting is much harder to do. Even patch distribution round the ball is a part of accuracy as well.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    Pumps as in dress shoes, not "FMP's", sheesh.

As a MAN who wears, or has worn, "dress shoes" for all of my adult life, I will say yes to Loafers, Oxfords, etc.

Pumps??? Not in my lifetime:rolleyes:...

A Google search unearthed a total of 1 shoe that counts as a "mens pump", and it looked like a womans shoe.

YMMV, but then you wear a dress...

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    No I haven't.
    Why not?
    Because I want to use the knives I already own.

Ok, so maybe I missed it. What is the issue with carrying the "31/2"":rolleyes: fixed blade on your belt? You never specified that you were going someplace that might involve some kind of pat-down.

You said " I want to go shoot a black powder muzzle loader & to do that I want to be able to trim patches when I load the patched round ball". Very non-specific on where you plan on shooting.

Where exactly do you think that you are going to go, walking around with a muzzleloader in hand, that a belt knife vs a "knife-in-a-box" is going to be the deciding factor? Is this just a "what if" to see what you might be able to do???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom