• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falkus

Dating Scarlett Johansson
    Feb 26, 2007
    Undisclosed location
    Does anyone have a homemade bait that they would like to share....

Just been fishing but no luck..I would like to try some bait so that i can get some trouts :)

ArmyDV

Krull the Warrior King
    Jan 10, 2009
    You can do what I usually end up doing after getting skunked...

I stop by Giant and get a couple of their Rainbows out of the seafood section. After dropping them in the parking lot (to get some dirt on them) I set up the camera at the bushes, and smile. A couple things to remember: make sure not to have any grocery carts in the background and make sure to remove the ice from the fish. For an even more deceiving look, try "hooking" one and let it dangle from the pole!!!

Now back on track with the bait question... It depends what type of water you're fishing and where but this is what I've been pulling them out with.

For dry flies: try a Light Cahill #16.
    For wet: streamers and nymphs are hitting good right now.

Spinner: Joes Flies brown Woolly Bugger.

Minnows for live bait.

do share the secrets pleeeaaaassse... i've been trying to fish for trout myself @ local lakes/ponds with no luck! however, what i've been catching are large/smallmouth bass... not that i have any issues with that but, i just like to fish a variety of species...

i can tell you one thing though... those berkley powerbaits in black do work...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have recently learned that the key to trout fishing is to use extremely small hooks with wax worms completely covering the hook, for big trout, a #10 hook tied on bare line with a snell knot and a small split shot about a foot up if you are using a spinner or spincasting rod, for smaller trout a #12 or #14 hook and wax worms works best. You want to find a spot in river that bends or deepens and slows down abruptly, cast into this spot twards the far bank from upriver, and let the current pull the rig across to your side, then cast again, and if there is a fish, it will bite, if it doesn't after about 10 minutes, move to a different spot. My neighbor taught me this, and routinely brings home 1/2 a dozen nice trout after an hours worth of fishing

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Flyfishing:
    This will depend on whats happening on the river. If there is an active hatch then you need to match it. If nothing is going on try terrestials (grasshoppers, beattles etc) this time of year. Also attractor dry flies will bring some strikes as well as nymphs/streamers.

Spinning:
    As stated before small hooks and small worm ie. red wigglers and split shot about a foot up. Cast upstream and let the river take it downstream in a natural drift.

Other thing I have had great success with is a broken back Rebel minnow with all the color sanded off with sand paper. You should end up with a creme color minnow when done. Toss this UPSTREAM and reel back to you. Make sure you reel faster than the stream is moving.

The Gunpowder is by far one of the best places to go trout fishing in the area. There is a catch and release section as well as a put/take section. The more you go upstream in the catch and release section the more fly fisherman you will see.

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    do share the secrets pleeeaaaassse... i've been trying to fish for trout myself @ local lakes/ponds with no luck! however, what i've been catching are large/smallmouth bass... not that i have any issues with that but, i just like to fish a variety of species...

i can tell you one thing though... those berkley powerbaits in black do work...

I'm not so sure you will find many trout in local ponds/lakes. Trout need certain water temp. condtions to survive year round. Typically rivers are the only type of water that holds trout in this area.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    IF they're native, I look for stick worms and critters along the stream bank.

If they're stocked, I try different color baits, those little marshmallows work great when you find the right color for the food used in the hatchery.

Always have millworms as the old reliable.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    My grandfather caught many with a black ant fly.
    Had good luck with super dupers and kastmasters.
    For live/food baits, corn, worms, powerbait (especially pink), and salmon eggs have worked for me in the past. I need to get back into trout fishing again, my grandfather and I went all the time when I was growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom