• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    I am a pistol/rifle shooter and always invite my daughter to the range/club/friends farm with me when I shoot. She rarely goes and is mostly not interested. She recently told me she watched some videos on skeet shooting and would like to try it, so naturally I am all over it. I know of places, have friends with throwers that shoot regularly so I got that covered.

I need to know what shotgun to get her and what gauge. Should I load some "light" shells?<-can do! I really want her to have fun.

She is 5'1" and weighs 110. She is athletic thanks to gymnastics and dance but I don't think she would enjoy a day of 3.5 magnums.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    Take her to PG and rent a gun ($10). Try a 12 gauge semi-auto...

The semi's will certainly kick less and she might enjoy shooting it more...

The 7/8 or 1 oz loads will also be easier on the shoulder...

Jamie

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I would go with a reliable semi auto in 20 gauge. Lighter and less felt recoil than an over-under. For skeet use the lightest loads that will cycle the action reliably and 1 1/8 oz loads.

I started shooting skeet with a Remington 11-87 (rental gun at the skeet club) then moved to a Beretta A302. Never had a problem with either.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Rental is an awesome idea but I am concerned about her confidence with other people all around. I have plenty of friends with all kinds of shotguns so I can get a hold of some semis, singe, and pump 12 gauges. I think the 20 gauge is a good idea though. Will 20 gauge have a good enough spread for her to get some hits? I would really like some instant gratification to pull her in.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Dicks Sporting Goods has a youth model Mossberg 500 20 ga. on sale for $239 pretty good deal. If she can get a chance to try out several different guns and pick the one that fits her best, that would be ideal.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    She may benefit from instruction from a trainer. I know of 2 or 3 of her friends I may be able to get to join the fun. All have been taught firearms safety. I would even consider paying for it myself.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I made the same choice recently and bought a Mossberg SA-20 Bantam. It is light weight yet the gas system tames recoil. I am pleased with the fit, finish and feel of the shotgun. My only problem is it's reluctance to cycle lighter loads. Given a do-over I might select the slightly more expensive Weatherby SA-08 that comes with a second gas piston to help cycle lighter loads. Grabagun.com had both shotguns when I was comparing.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I am a pistol/rifle shooter and always invite my daughter to the range/club/friends farm with me when I shoot. She rarely goes and is mostly not interested. She recently told me she watched some videos on skeet shooting and would like to try it, so naturally I am all over it. I know of places, have friends with throwers that shoot regularly so I got that covered.

I need to know what shotgun to get her and what gauge. Should I load some "light" shells?<-can do! I really want her to have fun.

She is 5'1" and weighs 110. She is athletic thanks to gymnastics and dance but I don't think she would enjoy a day of 3.5 magnums.
    I just posted on your dupe. A 12ga semi will be more versatile and will work to reduce the recoil. It will also eliminate any cycling issues you may have with a 20 SA. For the money a CZ 712 field, used 1100, or charles daly SA would all work and not break the bank.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I have a Beretta 391 youth model 20 gauge that my sisters have used for sporting clays. They are 5'5" and 100 pounds and 5'7" and 130 pounds and the gun works well for them and they can break clays with it. I can kill doves with my full size 20 gauge Beretta 391 out to 50 yards. Right now, I am trying to figure out how I can loan you a shotgun of mine and feel comfortable doing so without me being present because I am really anal about how I treat my guns.

Instant gratification is tough with clay shooting, but the easiest way to try and make that happen is to have her shoot at clays going straight away from her, or inbound clays that are coming toward her. If you have a place to shoot clays and a thrower, this is easy to set up. Hand throwers are a little tougher until you get the hang of them.

Edit to add: http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11191...emi-auto/beretta-391-ureka-20-gauge-youth-gun

There are other youth guns out there too. However, I would stick with a semi-auto no matter what. You might also be able to buy a full size 20 gauge and then purchase a youth stock for it. Granted, the longer barrel might throw off the balance of the gun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I would go with a reliable semi auto in 20 gauge. Lighter and less felt recoil than an over-under. For skeet use the lightest loads that will cycle the action reliably and 1 1/8 oz loads.

I started shooting skeet with a Remington 11-87 (rental gun at the skeet club) then moved to a Beretta A302. Never had a problem with either.

20 gauge does not come in a 1 1/8 oz. clays loads. I think 7/8 oz loads in 20 gauge would be just fine. Heck, I was using 7/8 oz loads out of my 12 gauge o/u for skeet. Had a slight problem on doubles though because it would not reset the trigger for the second shot. Way off on a tangent now. lol

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    I use a Mossberg 500 in 12 ga and I seem to be able to bust some clays shooting trap as a relative noob to the sport . The secret is that you are going to teach her stance, how to lead her shots and to know at what part of the bunker you need to be aiming at to have the best chance at getting a good shot. I know that Mt. Airy IWLA does an open trap that is very informal on Thursday nights for 5 dollars a round . Most of the time they do not have the second bunker open so if you ask you might be able to keep her on position 3 and have her get used to her gun and everything else before you let her loose on her own. Loch Raven is awesome to shoot at if your in the area . I have not made it out to Tuscarora yet even though I live about 10 minutes away and there open day is on Wednesdays. At least with her not being a pistol shooter she will not have to unlearn the keep the weapon at low ready .

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    Right now, I am trying to figure out how I can loan you a shotgun of mine and feel comfortable doing so without me being present because I am really anal about how I treat my guns.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't thihk I would be comfortable borrowing a firearm from somebody I don't know. I have the rental option and a couple of friends I am pinging on loaner shotguns.

Thanks for the information!

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    If there is a place to rent, that sounds like a good way to get into it.....Unless you don't mind having a 2-300$ gun in the safe that you don't intend to use if she doesn't like it.

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    I haven't decided whether to take her to the farm or a club yet. I will talk to her and guage her comfort level.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I am a relative noobie to trap myself. However, my 15 yr old son just started shooting trap two weeks ago (broke 17 on his last round the first day!). He uses my 12 ga Reminton 870 express (pump). He has shot the 3 grain Federal target loads from walmart, 4 rounds the first week and 3 rounds the next. He is a black belt and is used to being hit. His shoulder was bruised after the first week and very sore during and after the second.

I would definitely recommend a 20 ga semi auto rental and the lightest trap load you can find to minimize any discomfort. You want her to have fun and want to come back for more. The less discomfort she has, the more likely she will want to come back again.

Just my $.02,

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom