• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Long story short, I put in two 77Rs within a few days of each other. I'm a MD Designated Collector and 03FFL holder who just had one 77R come back on Friday (11/10/23) exactly 7 days after submitting it. I put in another 77R last Monday (11/06/2023) because I found some more C&R pistols that I wanted for my collection. As of COB today, no email saying I'm "not disapproved" and the portal says it's under MDSP review. The forwarding date for the 77R is the 6th (meaning it was accepted on the 6th). Being a Designated Collector, the 30-day purchase rule doesn't apply and I've done nothing to run afoul of our overlords. So, what's taking so long?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Long story short, I put in two 77Rs within a few days of each other. I'm a MD Designated Collector and 03FFL holder who just had one 77R come back on Friday (11/10/23) exactly 7 days after submitting it. I put in another 77R last Monday (11/06/2023) because I found some more C&R pistols that I wanted for my collection. As of COB today, no email saying I'm "not disapproved" and the portal says it's under MDSP review. The forwarding date for the 77R is the 6th (meaning it was accepted on the 6th). Being a Designated Collector, the 30-day purchase rule doesn't apply and I've done nothing to run afoul of our overlords. So, what's taking so long?
    Veteran's Day.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Could’ve added an extra day for the holiday. I had two go a day long. Very rarely do I see delays for holidays or Sunday submittals but some say that’s standard.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Veteran's Day.
    Ah, okay, that makes sense. Now, if only I could get out of speeding tickets "because it's a holiday" ;)

Like I said, first time this ever happened. I usually go through right on time. I still think it's a travesty that I have a FFL and can't use it in this state for pistols.

Fordracer2082

Jun 10, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    If the 7th day falls on Sunday or a holiday they send the email the following day. You should get it tomorrow morning. All my 77r's done on Monday get pushed to Tuesday.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    If the 7th day falls on Sunday or a holiday they send the email the following day. You should get it tomorrow morning. All my 77r's done on Monday get pushed to Tuesday.
    This. Veterans Day would have only affected releases that would normally have happened Saturday as Friday was the official Federal holiday since actual Veterans day happened on Saturday.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Mondays used to be weird. I think it dated back to when someone had to physically look for a paper file on you...and nobody worked on Sunday. That should have changed, but maybe not. My LGS is closed on Mondays, so I'm not usually affected :D.

I bet @dblas or @Biggfoot44 would know about it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I had a similar issue a while ago. It took weeks to get to "Not Disapproved" because the MSP didn't accept the e-form from the FFL, because the manufacturer was listed incorrectly on the form filled out and submitted by the FFL.

Apparently MSP emailed the shop about it, but they either ignored or missed the email. Once it was corrected, I still had an additional 7 day wait.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Back in the '80s , 2 weeks was quick , 3 weeks was average . Dealers wouldn't make a call to check up on it before 30 days .

I can't say never , but early release wasn't hardly a thing , as dealers were ( rightfully ) intimidated by MSP .

When FAX machines for submission came into use , it shaved a couple days . But when the Not Disapproved arrived , you could add up to two additional pistols on a Continuation Sheet , with no additional wait ..

OTOH , private sales were still a thing , with no paperwork .

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I had a similar issue a while ago. It took weeks to get to "Not Disapproved" because the MSP didn't accept the e-form from the FFL, because the manufacturer was listed incorrectly on the form filled out and submitted by the FFL.

Apparently MSP emailed the shop about it, but they either ignored or missed the email. Once it was corrected, I still had an additional 7 day wait.

Customer service is what you are paying for. When things like this happen, you are being ripped off.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They shouldn't, if your 77R is submitted on a Monday, day 7 is a Sunday and day 8 (The approval day) is Monday. I, and others have received the approval e-mail on Sunday morning with the new online system.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    This. Veterans Day would have only affected releases that would normally have happened Saturday as Friday was the official Federal holiday since actual Veterans day happened on Saturday.
    No it wouldn't, Veterans Day would have only affected releases that are on Moday per State Statute.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Mondays used to be weird. I think it dated back to when someone had to physically look for a paper file on you...and nobody worked on Sunday. That should have changed, but maybe not. My LGS is closed on Mondays, so I'm not usually affected :D.

It is actually spelled out in State Statute, Sunday releases get moved to Monday, if that Monday is a Holiday (the ONLY time a holiday comes into play), the release gets moved to Tuesday.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I got the email at 6AM this morning stating that I'm "Not Disapproved."

I mean, seriously. I just picked up two other handguns literally three days before. The background check is instantaneous for the state, is it not?

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Sucks, but not terrible. The 2013 panic was the worst. Waited a couple months for two lower receivers to be “not disapproved”.

nick_danger

Aug 4, 2023
    Maryland
    I submitted a 77R to purchase a second handgun at the end of October. I received an email with an application and pin number but not email of not being "disapproved." When I checked the status it said "application submitted." Did I miss something on the form or is taking longer than 7 days?. Any thoughts? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom