• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RynNap1

Dec 13, 2013
    Hey everyone,

I plan on going to my gun range for the first time, and i just wanted to know what are some tips to not piss anyone off and stand out.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    As many have bitched about before, if your shooting a bottom feeder watch your hot brass.
    Might I ask what range you have selected?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Hey everyone,

I plan on going to my gun range for the first time, and i just wanted to know what are some tips to not piss anyone off and stand out.

Where are you planning on going? Indoor ranges are kinda like bars...each one has it's different feel/groove.

Mar 8, 2011
    Hey everyone,

Best advice that I could give would be to not hide the fact that you're new. I'm not saying that you should announce it when you walk in the door but when you talk to people, make it clear that you're new and listen to what they tell you. Most folks that I encounter at gun ranges really want to get new people into shooting sports and would be glad to help out new shooters. The worst thing that you can do is to pretend that you know what you're doing and refuse to take good advice.

Granted, some of the advice that you get will be bad but if you're just starting out, the vast majority of it will be helpful to you. Once you get some experience under your belt, you'll be in a better position to sort the good from the bad.

Out of curiosity, what kind of shooting are you interested in?

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Better question- what range are you going to?

Couple of simple things-
    1) muzzle control- ALWAYS know what is pointed at- I.e always down range.
    2) finger of the trigger until and only until your sights are on the target.
    3) if anything is odd or you don't know what to do- there is an RSO (range safety officer) there who should be more than willing to help.
    4) actually read and follow the rules that you sign before entering.
    5)have fun

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    When I go to a range where I haven't been before, I tell whoever is checking me in that I haven't shot there before and ask them what the procedures/rules are. Every range has slightly different rules and expectations.

Be safe and have fun!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    In addition to what has Ben said. Read the range rules ahead of time
    Most ranges post them online
    See if you can he a shooter to take you. That's how most people do it. My cousin and uncle first took me. I was poor and in College and they paid every time for ammo but you should offer to pay for everything .
    Don't take everything they say as Gospel ask why and follow up in your own.

Search for rules of gun safety (point muzzle in safe direction........)

Hambone

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I would recommend going with a friend who has some experience. If that's not possible, as others have said, read the rules, and if you have a question, ask it. Most people will be more than willing to help a new shooter out. Have fun!

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    You didn't say whether you are new to shooting or you've been at it for awhile and it's just a new range for you to use. That will make a difference and if you're new to shooting in general then I definitely second the advice that you get a seasoned hand to go with you, even if he is new to that particular range.

But my main point is to emphasize the value of some orientation from the range manager or the locals about their own practices. Last week, in another state, I encountered a practice that I thought was appalling. (Details omitted to protect the guilty.) They thought it was "everybody does it this way" and I was chided for waiting to shoot. Later I had to interrupt a shot when the range manager literally walked out in front of me. At least the shooters had better practices than the manager.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As above , are you new to shooting generally , or just to particular range , or commercial ranges overall ?

If you are new to shooting generally some basic orientation and instruction is a Good Thing. If you don't already have a knowledegable family member or close friend at hand , then seek instruction from NRA certified instructor ( several on this Board ) .

Indoor ranges can get Loud, be prepared to use plugs and muffs if ranges is crowded and/or someone is shooting a particularly loud piece. In addition to the mandatory eye and ear protection , a cap with a bill is also safety equipment, it helps prevent flying brass from hitting your face and head , and from lodging behind your shooting glasses.

shiloh228

Dec 25, 2012
    Ballmer County
    You didn't say whether you are new to shooting or you've been at it for awhile and it's just a new range for you to use. That will make a difference and if you're new to shooting in general then I definitely second the advice that you get a seasoned hand to go with you, even if he is new to that particular range.

But my main point is to emphasize the value of some orientation from the range manager or the locals about their own practices. Last week, in another state, I encountered a practice that I thought was appalling. (Details omitted to protect the guilty.) They thought it was "everybody does it this way" and I was chided for waiting to shoot. Later I had to interrupt a shot when the range manager literally walked out in front of me. At least the shooters had better practices than the manager.
    Interfering with Darwinism...

RynNap1

Dec 13, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the info, that helped a lot. Sorry for being so vague in my initial response. I am new to shooting and will be shooting a handgun. Three of the closest ranges to me are On Target, Select-Fire, and Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club. Do you guys have a recommendation on which range I should try first or if I should stick away from any of these.

I have a set of safety glasses and earmuffs, is there any other equipment I need when I go to the range. I know you can bring your own targets so you dont have to pay for ones to rent, but im unsure of which ones I should get. Also do I need to carry my handgun in a lock box or just in an enclosed case is fine (unloaded of course).

silanehead

Sarcastic Member
    Oct 24, 2012
    Dundalk
    Double up on ear protection indoors. Plugs and muffs. You wont need it for a pistol but a boomer may be next to you. Hearing loss does not repair itself.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    It may be worth the drive for you to go to Freestate. When I first started, they gave my wife and I a brief "intro to firearms" before letting us on the range. It took about 20 minutes and covered basic pistol operation, safety, range operation and range commands. I'm not sure if On-Target offers something of the sort but IMO Freestate is much more "new shooter friendly" than the ranges you listed. I would avoid Select Fire at all costs as I had a very very bad and unsafe experience there.

On a side note, I would also advise a new shooter to head to the range at an off-peak time. Heading there on a busy weekend afternoon can be distracting with a lot of stuff going on at once and can be overwhelming.

Some basics that stand out:
    Don't muzzle or sweep any one, including yourself.
    Keep your gun at the firing line.
    Keep your gun pointed downrange at ALL times.
    If you must lay your gun down, remove the magazine and lock the action open so the RSO knows it's safe.
    In general try to remain calm. I'm always un-nerved by the hyper, fidgety guy in the lane next to me. You will be nervous/anxious so just be aware of this.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the info, that helped a lot. Sorry for being so vague in my initial response. I am new to shooting and will be shooting a handgun. Three of the closest ranges to me are On Target, Select-Fire, and Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club. Do you guys have a recommendation on which range I should try first or if I should stick away from any of these.

I have a set of safety glasses and earmuffs, is there any other equipment I need when I go to the range. I know you can bring your own targets so you dont have to pay for ones to rent, but im unsure of which ones I should get. Also do I need to carry my handgun in a lock box or just in an enclosed case is fine (unloaded of course).

Please, as a new shooter, don't make Select Fire your first or tenth range visit. As a previous poster has indicated, search this forum for anything you need to know about that place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom