• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • O2b4wln

Sep 16, 2011
    Tellico or Moab
    Howdy folks,

I finally bit the bullet and got a DDM4 from Engage Armament (thanks Garrett, your input was invaluable in helping me make a decision).

I was hoping to get some advice on the type of scope for this weapon. I'm looking for a combo of long and short distance so I'd sure appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
    O2b4wln

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    How much are you looking to spend? What type of range realistically are you looking to cover - 50 to 200, 300?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Unless you're looking to shoot little tiny groups, I'd suggest a 1-4x scope. You can get the Nikon M223 in 1-4x, and get their AR scope mount. If you want more magnification, get the 2-8x M223. They're both reasonably priced and have excellent glass.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Leopold also has the Mark AR, and that was just a touch under the Nikon in price, multiple magnifications available.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Both are good for their purpose and won't bend you over the counter when buying.

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Unless you're looking to shoot little tiny groups, I'd suggest a 1-4x scope. You can get the Nikon M223 in 1-4x, and get their AR scope mount. If you want more magnification, get the 2-8x M223. They're both reasonably priced and have excellent glass.

+1

Have one and love it. And as mentioned, it's not gonna get you tiny groups.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Burris has the ar332 best of both worlds if you want a acog GGG has the TA 44-5 They are remanufactured police trade ins they only have 24 scopes but half the price of new around 410.00 I received an E mail a few days ago so if this is the type you want better act fast Sports optics has the burris in stock this scope sells fast They had reticle issues in the past but seem to get good reviews now as with anything when taking someone's advice do your Homework

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks for all the advice folks. I'll get the M223 and adapt as needs arise.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

O2b4wln
    I may have a 1-4X20 Nikon M223 with mount for sale. Let me know if you are interested. Good luck.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    Just curious why no one would mention an Aimpoint or EOTech with an additional magnifier...two purpose optics.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I don't particularly care for a separate optic and magnifier as it adds complexity to something that should be simple.

I can see what you mean...but at 25yds are you using a M223? It just seems like 25yds to 300yds is too far apart to use one product. Regardless, I see your point. Thanks.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I can see what you mean...but at 25yds are you using a M223? It just seems like 25yds to 300yds is too far apart to use one product. Regardless, I see your point. Thanks.

Nope, with proper practice the 1-4x is the perfect optic for 23-300 yards. That's why you see them used so extensively in 3-gun.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I use the 2-8x for 15 yards to 500, so yes.

Nope, with proper practice the 1-4x is the perfect optic for 23-300 yards. That's why you see them used so extensively in 3-gun.

I saw a formula, 1x for every 100 yards. I'd like to actually hit a 3-Gun match that goes from CQB distance to 300 yards in the same stage. When I get better :)

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008

Leupold CQ/T.

I too think swing-away magnifiers are needlessly complicated.
    Plenty of variable magnification devices or multi-range reticles on the market.
    And you can always use your irons as God intended.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    I may have a 1-4X20 Nikon M223 with mount for sale. Let me know if you are interested. Good luck.
    i was checking out this thread cause i'm in the market as well. If you do find that you want to sell your I'd be at least interested in what you'd see the mount and scope for. I checked it out on Midway, and they are selling for $259(scope) and $99(mount). Shoot me a PM if you find something, I'm curious.

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    I have used the Nikon M-223 1-4 a lot. Not only on my AR but also on my Smith & Wesson MP 15/22. Worse thing I ever did was put it on my Smith. My son loves it so much I never get tot shoot it any more, just load magazines! He tears up our little steel course with it as well. Easy to shoot,quick acquisition and accurate. With a .223 it is Point Blank if zero'd at 100 yards.
    I'm going to post a review I found on 24 hour campfire. The author has given me permission to post it here. Look under Nikon M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle.
    I also know Russ and others here have done reviews positive reviews of this scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom