• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    hey guys. ive been lurking a while and figured id make a thread. I just recently started getting into shooting thanks to my brothers and my dad. I just bought my first gun, a Savage Mark II. Seemed like a nice little gun to get me started and practice my technique, and it came with a bushnell 3x9 scope. Ive shot some pistols, a friends AK-47, and my brothers .223 AR-15, but never a bolt action before (though its pretty intuitive and im fairly familiar with the operation). Is there anything i should expect? or anything i need to know? maybe some "must have" add-ons or tweaks to improve accuracy or just make the gun more enjoyable?

thanks guys :)

IMG_0973.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Congrats. You'll enjoy the Savage. Mine was a tack driver right out of the box with no tweaks at all.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    The only problem you will experience is how this little rifle will quickly lead to an obsession with firearms! Actually, that's a great little rifle! I won't ever get rid of mine.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Oh, if I remember right it comes with a 5 round mag. You'll want to get some extra 10 round mags.

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    Were can I get some 10rd mags from? When I bought the gun (at dicks btw) the guy said they didn't have any extra mags.

he just meant that the gun as purchased didn't come with any extra magazines

you can purchase them online

I'd google "Savage Mark II 10 round magazines" and use the shopping feature to find the cheapest price

or sub 5 for 10 if that doesn't find anything

you get the idea :)

Here you go: https://www.google.com/#q=savage+ma....,cf.osb&fp=a13b0389ecff6ce9&biw=1366&bih=643

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    Oh, if I remember right it comes with a 5 round mag. You'll want to get some extra 10 round mags.

I bought the Mark II GXP from Dick's in Dec and it came with a 10 round mag. If the mag is inserted in that first pic above then it is the 5 round mag.

I didn't think to check to see if Dicks carries them...but I bought 2 from Midway. They seem to be a hot item and don't stay in stock very long...on most sites. Midway allows for back ordering. I ordered 2 more yesterday which will give 5 10 rounders. Perfect for Appleseed :D

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Good Choice!

Good choice -- you got the bull-barrel.:thumbsup:

I've found 10-round mags at Wally-World from time to time. But local gun-shops can order them (if they're not already in-stock), can match on-line prices, and you won't pay shipping. I like to support my local gun-shop, even if it might cost me a couple extra dollars or a couple extra days.

Buy a small quantity of every brand of 22LR you can find. Then try the gun with each different ammo to see what yours likes best. Mine likes Aguila Match and Wolf Target, but all guns are different in this regard.

The scopes that are bundled with rifles are OK, but not great. You'll probably eventually (no hurry, though) want to upgrade to something like what is shown here: http://muelleroptics.com/category/products/mueller-scopes/rimfire-scopes

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks guys.

How often should I clean this thing? And how far does this thing need to be disassembled for cleaning. Any specific cleaning kit I need?

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    How often should I clean this thing? And how far does this thing need to be disassembled for cleaning. Any specific cleaning kit I need?

You should clean it every time you use it, and depending on how anal you are, once a month even if you don't use it. I break down everything and clean it once a month whether I've used it or not. "Never let the sun set on a dirty gun." Although that doesn't apply as much to weapons without corrosive ammo, it still applies.

Let me know the next time you're going to Free State, and I'll bring my Marlin along.

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    Cleaning of a 22LR bolt-gun

Thanks guys.

Admittedly, there are as many opinions on gun-cleaning as there are shooters.

For a rimfire 22 bolt-gun, I do the following after each range-trip:

1. Remove bolt.

2. Run solvent (Hoppe's #9 or similar)-wetted (not sopping wet!) patch down bore FROM BREECH END.

3. Clean off face of bolt with from breech end with a solvent-wetted toothbrush.

4. Let sit for ~10-15 minutes.

5. Run a dry patch down the bore. Wipe off the face of the bolt with a clean, lint-free cloth (a few patches work).

6. If you're not gonna shoot again for a few weeks, run a LIGHTLY oiled patch down the barrel AGAIN FROM THE BREECH END. If you do this, run a dry patch down the barrel before shooting it again.

7. Wipe-down the gun's exterior metal surfaces with a clean, lint-free cloth, dampened slightly with a light oil (NOT solvent). Keep the oil off of the wood.

8. Reinstall bolt into gun.

For rimfire guns, I stay away from the bristle-brushes. Many a barrel or crown has been damaged by excessive/improper cleaning.:sad20:

Note that many rimfire target shooters VERY RARELY clean their gun's barrels: http://www.riflesilhouette.com/information/cleaning.html

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    The only problem you will experience is how this little rifle will quickly lead to an obsession with firearms! Actually, that's a great little rifle! I won't ever get rid of mine.

This is the problem that has ruined my plans for a vacation this summer.

A dry patch is just a patch with nothing on it.

gsrcrxsi

Jan 15, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    followup question. what is a patch? just any random cloth? or is this something specific?

and im pretty mechanically inclined, but i cant seem to figure out how to remove the bolt lol. there like no little tabs that i can see to release it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    A sling would be a nice addition. As for patches, I suggest you get a rifle cleaning kit for .22 rifles, it will have patches and some include instructions.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    shot one for the first time yesterday, what a great 22LR. Better than the 10/22 imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom