• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Galstan

Aug 5, 2008
    Hey all,

I have been a member here for a couple years but not particularly active. I turned 21 the other day and want to exercise my 2ِA rights (again...when I was 18 I got an AR-15).

I am thinking about a Sig P226 for my first handgun. Any thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, etc. are welcomed.

Hope everyone is well,

Jim

Nimrod

"NOT DISAPPROVED"
    Mar 22, 2011
    Montgomery County
    My 2 cents - For a first handgun, get what feels good in your hand; something that fits your hand size, doesn't make you adjust your grip frequently, and the trigger doesn't feel too far (or too close). The less you have to futz around with the ergos, the more you can concentrate on learning to shoot it well.

By the way, I have 2 Sigs, both P229s. I liked the first one so much I had to buy another.

Galstan

Aug 5, 2008
    My 2 cents - For a first handgun, get what feels good in your hand; something that fits your hand size, doesn't make you adjust your grip frequently, and the trigger doesn't feel too far (or too close). The less you have to futz around with the ergos, the more you can concentrate on learning to shoot it well.

By the way, I have 2 Sigs, both P229s. I liked the first one so much I had to buy another.

I like the 229 but the 226 fits better in my hand.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As a Sig Sauer Armorer, I think the P226 is a great choice. I do agree with others:the XD/XDm and Glocks are great alternatives. I own several XD/XDms, Glocks, Rugers and even an FNH.

My suggestion is to try some out. I know I have had folks at the range shoot a magazine or two in my handgun if they showed an interest. If you want, go rent one at a indoor range and shoot a few magazines to see if the handgun meets your grip and is comfortable for you.

I tell my students to do this when considering any firearms purchase.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    What is the purpose of this gun? A .22 or .38 is always a good choice. A .357 magnum, which also allows .38 Special ammo to be used is good.

With a 226, you transition from a DA trigger to a SA trigger after the first shot. SIG has had some issues, the German guns are better thought of then the US made guns. You can get a .22 conversion kit for the P226, which makes shooting cheaper.

My suggestion, visit a range that rents handguns and try a few more out.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    All kinds of Glock, Sig, Kimber, S&W, Springfield, CZ

So which of those did you like the best?

The differences between a Sig, Glock, M&P, or other modern pistol are relatively trivial. They are all good guns. The differences come down to personal preference which only you can determine ergonomics and such.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Don't go into debt to buy a firearm. Did that in my youth, won't do it again. Be wary of magazine reviews. Most reviews are there because someone bought advertising in the magazine. Make sure the staff at the gun shop are not lying to you. If online reviews say gun model X sucks but the guy at the shop says it is the best thing ever, do some thinking. Choose wisely. Don't rush out and buy the first gun you see. At the same time, don't sit and research a gun for five years.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My first modern centerfire handgun was a Sig P226. Terrific gun, and I'd trust it with my life - I've never had a failure that wasn't magazine (cheap trash ones) or ammo (hard Wolf primers) related.

You'll want to make some sort of a decision about the action. If it's primarily a range gun, SA/DA might be fine. But if you're going to use it for HD, I'd consider a DAK (wikipedia it, it's an interesting technology).

Galstan

Aug 5, 2008
    My first modern centerfire handgun was a Sig P226. Terrific gun, and I'd trust it with my life - I've never had a failure that wasn't magazine (cheap trash ones) or ammo (hard Wolf primers) related.

You'll want to make some sort of a decision about the action. If it's primarily a range gun, SA/DA might be fine. But if you're going to use it for HD, I'd consider a DAK (wikipedia it, it's an interesting technology).

Out of all the handguns I have ever shot Sig has been my favorite so I think I will go with the 226 when I get the cash together.

Do you have any magazine suggestions?

Thanks for all the comments and advice everyone.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only ones I've bothered with so far are the Mec-Gar 20rd magazines. The guy who sold me the gun included a couple of trashy Promag/Eagle ones that didn't work all that well - DO NOT WANT.

I have a vague recollection that you need SCT grips for flush fit for the 20rd'ers, but I also think flush is more of a nicety than a necessity. Definitely recommend that you look online at the used market - I got a basically mint Sig P226R DAK with night sights, the SCT grips and a really nice coat of OD Green cerakote for under $600, including transfer.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    What is the purpose of this gun? A .22 or .38 is always a good choice. A .357 magnum, which also allows .38 Special ammo to be used is good.
    With a 226, you transition from a DA trigger to a SA trigger after the first shot. SIG has had some issues, the German guns are better thought of then the US made guns. You can get a .22 conversion kit for the P226, which makes shooting cheaper.
    My suggestion, visit a range that rents handguns and try a few more out.

Yep, this.

When I first looked at this thread, welcome by the way :), it had like 13 views and 12 posts, which means all buy one that first saw it posted... impressive.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If you are going to go sig, go Sig or go home.

0.jpg

Sig P226 X-six

Just kidding, thought that was funny :)

Most all Sigs are good, those entirely made in Germany (see my SIGnature), a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom