first handgun purchase in MD, suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    LOL,

The MOST recognizeable sight IN THE WORLD, is the muzzle blast of a Tokarev. Chances are, she learns how to do that and criminal is BLIND.

@Markp, Chaunsey
    Thanks for the lively and very educating discussion on the tokarev. After reading (and re-reading) your posts, i'm starting to be persuaded to go the cheap semi route. Mainly because of the ablility to buy 2 and 2krds for the price of the revolver... but i'm still not convinced yet...A lil more information about my shooting experiences...

There is always the option of getting the Revolver now and a Tokarev later... once you play with one, you'll find it an addictive gun to shoot. It's just plain fun to shoot.

Mark

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    buck shot most certainly will penetrate walls, not as much as pistol rounds do, but not all that much less either, it will still go through several layers of drywall before stopping.

as well, while you dont have to aim too well at across the room distances, the pattern is not wide enough at close ranges to be any more point and shoot than a pistol or anything else.

within 5-10 yards the spread is no more than 2-3 inches.

you're not wrong, the spread is more than a bullet, and the penetration is less, but it should not be exaggerated, you must still use caution when firing indoors in regards to family members in other rooms etc, and you still have to aim your shots like any other firearm.

First, get her one of these, and then go buy your "toy"!

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    My first handgun was a Ruger GP100 357 magnum which came highly recommended by many. I think it's an excellent choice and will serve you just fine for years to come.

g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    I want to thank everyone for their input. I've contacted 3 dealers so far(Called Freds Sports and Gun Connection and went to the Tackle Box). I plan on going to purchase one this upcoming weekend (if all plans out well...)

bxw

Glockamole
    Sep 1, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I purchased a new handgun this week, and I was charged $20 additional for a "barrel lock". The handgun does come with a "cable lock" as part of the package. Is the "barrel lock" something required in the State of MD? This would also mean I now have two locks for the new handgun.

Thanks,

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I purchased a new handgun this week, and I was charged $20 additional for a "barrel lock". The handgun does come with a "cable lock" as part of the package. Is the "barrel lock" something required in the State of MD? This would also mean I now have two locks for the new handgun.

Thanks,

Yep, part of the way MD makes things just a little safer for us. An "integral" lock is required. Barrel locks meet this requirement; cable locks do not.

And, Welcome!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Yep, part of the way MD makes things just a little safer for us. An "integral" lock is required. Barrel locks meet this requirement; cable locks do not.

And, Welcome!

C&R, cheaper than a barrel lock! :) FTW!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Are you saying that if I have a C&R, I don't need a lock when I purchase a handgun?

When you purchase a C&R firearm using your C&R license and you are NOT purchasing from a dealer in the state. You do not need a lock, because it is an Interstate transaction.

§5-132(c) Restriction on sale, rent, or transfer of handguns.-

(1) A dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or before December 31, 2002, unless the handgun is sold, offered for sale, rented, or transferred with an external safety lock.

(2) On or after January 1, 2003, a dealer may not sell, offer for sale, rent, or transfer in the State a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 2003, unless the handgun has an integrated mechanical safety device.

As you can see, the law only applies instate transactions by a dealer and then only to certain people... some people are more equal than others, see below:

§5-132(b) Scope of section.- This section does not apply to:
    (1) the purchase, sale, or transportation of a handgun to or by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer that provides or services a handgun for:

(i) personnel of any unit of the federal government;
    (ii) members of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard;
    (iii) law enforcement personnel of the State or any local law enforcement agency in the State while acting within the scope of their official duties; and
    (iv) an organization that is required by federal law governing its specific business or activity to maintain handguns and applicable ammunition;

(2) a firearm modified to be permanently inoperative;
    (3) the sale or transfer of a handgun by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer covered under item (1) of this subsection;
    (4) the sale or transfer of a handgun by a federally licensed gun dealer or manufacturer to a lawful customer outside the State; or
    (5) an antique firearm.

Additionally, since I am military, this whole section of law doesn't apply to me... if you work for the federal government you are exempt too!

Mark

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Thanks, Mark. I got the C&R interstate thing.

Is it correct that as a federal employee, I can be exempt from the lock purchase requirement? That's how I would read it, but I doubt any local dealer woudl see it that way. (Can't say as I'd blame them.)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Thanks, Mark. I got the C&R interstate thing.

Is it correct that as a federal employee, I can be exempt from the lock purchase requirement? That's how I would read it, but I doubt any local dealer woudl see it that way. (Can't say as I'd blame them.)

I wouldn't expect them to know every detail about the law, it's complicated. They are going to do whatever makes the most "sense" from a business standpoint...

Rule #1, you must remain in business to make a profit.
    Rule #2, see rule #1.

Keeping the state from shutting you down is a priority, the less they look at you the better. If you provide a lock with every gun, your liability is lessened, this is also a good thing. From a business standpoint, I would insist on it too. There is no downside for the gun dealer. There are two ways to look at this... there is what is legal, and then there is what happens in reality.

Mark

g19fanatic

Aug 2, 2010
    Lex Park, MD
    Howdy all,

Its been quite some time but I thought I'd return to at least give a photo of my new addition. I waited quite a while since my last posting here to actually get my handgun but the wait wasn't for nothing. In the mean time, i did switch out the bird shot to buck (buckshot is hard to come by for 20ga...) :)

Attached is picture of my newly acquired 4" SS Ruger Security Six .357 Mag.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help.

Attachments

• 2rxve2t.jpg
      2rxve2t.jpg
      27 KB · Views: 70

Vince55

Vince55
    Aug 10, 2010
    Lusby, Md
    First of all, get rid of the bird shot... that's a joke. It is NOT a home defense load, buckshot or slugs are what you should be running in a shotgun for home defense unless you want to just piss the determined criminal off or leave him alive to sue you later.

Seeing that range time is hugely important (hitting your target is the most important part of the equation), I'll make the suggestion that maybe a Polish Tokarev might be a interesting counter suggestion. A good Tokarev will run you ~$200, has a barrel that's a bit over 4", a thinner profile, all the hitting power of a .357 but ammo is as low at $0.07 per round ($86 for 1260 rounds). It offers a higher round count at 9 rounds than a revolver, although revolvers are high reliability solutions for home defense. I know that I am odd in suggesting a surplus gun for home defense, but I want a gun that the police can keep without me crying after I've shot the person breaking into my house and is easily replaced.

I am wondering why you want such a high velocity round for home defense, as opposed to something like a .45 ACP with more bullet weight. I am not criticizing the choice of .357 as I think it's a great round with excellent penetration capability and legendary performance.

Good luck with your choice.
    Absolutely agree with you 100%. Birdshot is useless. And the .45 is a good choice for home defense. Although a .44 magnum does the job too.

zebramochaman

May 3, 2009
    Damascus, MD
    Howdy all,

Its been quite some time but I thought I'd return to at least give a photo of my new addition. I waited quite a while since my last posting here to actually get my handgun but the wait wasn't for nothing. In the mean time, i did switch out the bird shot to buck (buckshot is hard to come by for 20ga...) :)

Attached is picture of my newly acquired 4" SS Ruger Security Six .357 Mag.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help.

Very good choice. I have a Security Six and a GP-141, both 4" barrels in Stainless. They are both excellent shooters but my Security Six has a smoother trigger (it may have had a trigger job done on it before I bought it).

I hope you and your wife enjoy it. Now go buy some ammo and shoot the heck out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom