• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I took my room mate out to the range, because she wanted to know how to shoot to defend herself. We started with my glock 22, and she didn't like it at all. Turns out it was just the RTF biting her hands and causing her some discomfort. I put a hogue grip on it, and she was fine. She really enjoys shooting it. We later moved on to the Sub 2000, chambered in .40, and she disliked the recoil because it hurt her shoulder. I put her sweater on her shoulder, then placed the butt on that, and it was fine. Turns out she needs a longer buttstock to pistol grip length than I do.

She really enjoys shooting the Glock 22, and it's the only pistol she's ever shot. She started off getting them all into the silohette, but after about 50 rounds, of her shooting, watching me shoot, and some over the shoulder instruction, she was getting all in the COM at 7yd. If I had a 22lr, I would have given her that to start with, but it didn't really matter, because I think she may have built bad habits with a low-recoil gun. Now when she picks up a 22, it'll be very easy for her to control.

My girlfriend on the other hand has never shot a gun, and has no desire to do so.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I took my room mate out to the range, because she wanted to know how to shoot to defend herself. We started with my glock 22, and she didn't like it at all. Turns out it was just the RTF biting her hands and causing her some discomfort. I put a hogue grip on it, and she was fine. She really enjoys shooting it. We later moved on to the Sub 2000, chambered in .40, and she disliked the recoil because it hurt her shoulder. I put her sweater on her shoulder, then placed the butt on that, and it was fine. Turns out she needs a longer buttstock to pistol grip length than I do.

She really enjoys shooting the Glock 22, and it's the only pistol she's ever shot. She started off getting them all into the silohette, but after about 50 rounds, of her shooting, watching me shoot, and some over the shoulder instruction, she was getting all in the COM at 7yd. If I had a 22lr, I would have given her that to start with, but it didn't really matter, because I think she may have built bad habits with a low-recoil gun. Now when she picks up a 22, it'll be very easy for her to control.

My girlfriend on the other hand has never shot a gun, and has no desire to do so.

trade her in for the roomate...:sad20::lol2:;) someone is going to say it...lol

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    What does she like about all three of the guns?

I personally like the 22/45 a lot, but there are clearly reasons she likes the guns that she does. Is it aesthetics? Grip comfort? Weight? Operation? I guess there are certain things you can compromise on and certain things that might be deal-breakers. If she just doesn't like how a gun looks, that's not that big of a deal. If the gun doesn't fit her hands that's another issue altogether.

I own a 22/45, and I like that it has a long track record (as far as the design goes). They're good shooters out of the box, and the extra weight may make the recoil seem even milder (not that .22LR really has much of a recoil to speak of, but your wife seems quite recoil sensitive given her experience with the G17).

She should try shooting all of these guns first. I don't really know any good rental ranges for rimfire, but I'm sure someone will chime in with good recommendations.

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    thanks...

whats deal with the 642?
    The 642 is a light weight carry revolver that will not be very comfortable for a new shooter to start with. It is designed for concealed carry and relatively up close work.
    I always liked the 686 with a 4" barrel. Yes the gun is a little heavier but it will be more comfortable to shoot with the larger grip and better sights and with 38spl rounds, the weight will take up a lot of recoil. Otherwise, .22 are great to start of with. Smith 617 is very nice, it's a 686 frame that shoots .22.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    May as well make it a 10mm, whats just another millimeter...

Just let her pick the .22 she likes best. It's not like you are going to have to shoot it.

haha - I know. I just wouldn't recommend a .22 pistol to anyone, as it is too underwhelming. I am partial to larger caliber handguns; however I do have a .38.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    ^ Well she already tried a 9mm and didn't like it, probably due to her unfamiliarity with shooting.

.22 pistols are great for training, comfort building, and fun. Sure, larger calibers are awesome, but nothing offers the ease, affordability, and training like a .22 does. It would be a great place for her to start so that she can eventually learn to love the larger calibers.

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    I bought my wife a .380 bersa thunder it's small enough for her hands and the recoil isn't bad. She LOVES it she bugs me all the time to go to the range. I don't know where your located but Christina would love to shoot with another woman if she wants to try it out....

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't get how she thought 9mm recoil was bad. Not being a jerk, I just don't get it. To me it was nothing compared to the .40+ calibers and my gf thought it was nothing

chevydave

Sep 24, 2011
    severna park
    Guess it depends on the woman my wife I'd 5' 7" and weights 130lbs she doesn't really have the upper body strength for a 40 cal + but she's fine with a 9 mm and loves and can shoot her 380 all day

BigMBobbyOP

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2011
    PA
    hi guys, just wanted to drop an update.

we got out there and tried a bunch of different things....

she has now shot .22s, 9mms (glock 17), 38 specials (S&W), .40s (springfield xdm), and .45s (XDM, sig p220, various 1911s).

all were shot without a problem. yes i am proud.

well whaddya know she likes revolvers!

we settled on this S&W 617:

359y0xw.jpg

thanks for all your help.

BigMBobbyOP

LeadPumper

Jul 20, 2008
    Good going. Keep her interested and soon she'll be looking for her next gun...

When she wants to increase her caliber, try the S&W 686, it's the same size, shape and trigger as the 617 only in .38/.357.

Makes for a nice companion piece.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom