• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Wow..thanks for the inspiration BradMacc..Loving the stock on the first photo. What type of stock is that?

It's a Vltor, got it for a steal since that model was being discontinued. That first one now wears a Magpul PRS stock - my father preferred the adjustability of LOP, and cheek weld.

ETA: I'm now working on the 5th AND 6th. EBR Disease has fully set in... :o

ETAA: Dyslexia (or sleep deprivation) kicked in earlier, it's a PRS stock.

Last edited:

Agent T

Jul 9, 2012
    This being my very 1st build...just looking for a good all around rifle what twist do you suggest?

Leviathan

Jun 14, 2012
    My 1st build too, so the more experianced guys may want to chime in, but I was thinking a 1:7 for a good workhorse rifle. Kinda like right in the middle as far as twist go. And I've heard that daniel Defense is a great company, also check out BCM.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    1:8 would likely be the best in-between twist rate. It can handle the light/short rounds as well as the longer/heavier rounds.

I've run up to 75gr thru a 1:9, but that's at less than 150 yards. At longer distances it may not be as accurate.

I can give the specs out later, on my phone at work currently.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Personally, anything less than an 18" barrel should get a 1 in 7" twist barrel. Of the five 5.56 AR's I've built, the only one that didn't get a 1 in 7" twist was the 18" I built for 3-Gun, which has a 1 in 8" twist. My current build will have a 14.5" barrel with a 1 in 7" twist (chrome lined), FF mid-length railed handguard, flat top upper receiver, NiB BCG, and a BCM Gunfighter charging handle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hey Brad,

If you don't mind what are the specs on your collection?

Since I'm home now.

1st one - Built for my father as a christmas gift. Stag Arms Model 3HL Upper (Lefty eject). Palmetto State Lower. Spike's LPK - trigger slightly tweaked, originally a Stag trigger. Ambi-safety. Hogue grip. (Currently wearing) Mag-Pul PRS stock. Daniel Defense Omega rail. BCM bolt and extractor kit. BCM Gunfighter Charging handle. Basic Bushnell ACOG knockoff.

2nd one - One of my past AR's. Stag Model 8L upper (piston driven/lefty eject). Stag lower - Geissele SSA-E trigger, Norgon ambi mag release, ambi-safety, Mag-Pul trigger guard. PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube. Mag-Pul CTR stock. Hogue grip. Midwest Industries Gen II drop in rail. Mag-Pul AFG. YHM Phantom muzzle brake. Diamond-head flip BUIS. BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle. EO-Tech 512. Aimpoint 3x Magnifier w/twist-mount.

3rd one - IIRC, that should be the one I built from scratch for my brother and sister-in-law for christmas. That's mostly Palmetto State Armory parts, the BCG was a Hard Chrome unit from Daniel Defense and the optic was a Bushnell on a riser. Mag-Pul CTR stock. It's their first AR, so I kept it simple for them.

4th One - Is my baby, the 300 Blackout. It uses the Stag lower from the 2nd one (I sold that upper but kept the lower). It's a stripped Palmetto upper, but inside it is a BCM BCG/Bolt, Noveske 16" 300BLK stainless barrel. YHM QD suppressor mount/muzzle brake. Midwest Industries Free-float rifle length rail. BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle. Aimpoint PRO is the chosen optic on that one. BCG/Bolt has been polished to be gentler on the brass (I reload), feed ramps have been blended and polished, and a few other touches were down on that one as well.

Now for 5 and 6, I'm still working out the details. But one of them is definitely going to be a Noveske barrelled 8.2" 300BLK, I gotta get my NFA cherry popped. :D

Agent T

Jul 9, 2012
    Since I'm home now.

1st one - Built for my father as a christmas gift. Stag Arms Model 3HL Upper (Lefty eject). Palmetto State Lower. Spike's LPK - trigger slightly tweaked, originally a Stag trigger. Ambi-safety. Hogue grip. (Currently wearing) Mag-Pul PRS stock. Daniel Defense Omega rail. BCM bolt and extractor kit. BCM Gunfighter Charging handle. Basic Bushnell ACOG knockoff.

2nd one - One of my past AR's. Stag Model 8L upper (piston driven/lefty eject). Stag lower - Geissele SSA-E trigger, Norgon ambi mag release, ambi-safety, Mag-Pul trigger guard. PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube. Mag-Pul CTR stock. Hogue grip. Midwest Industries Gen II drop in rail. Mag-Pul AFG. YHM Phantom muzzle brake. Diamond-head flip BUIS. BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle. EO-Tech 512. Aimpoint 3x Magnifier w/twist-mount.

3rd one - IIRC, that should be the one I built from scratch for my brother and sister-in-law for christmas. That's mostly Palmetto State Armory parts, the BCG was a Hard Chrome unit from Daniel Defense and the optic was a Bushnell on a riser. Mag-Pul CTR stock. It's their first AR, so I kept it simple for them.

4th One - Is my baby, the 300 Blackout. It uses the Stag lower from the 2nd one (I sold that upper but kept the lower). It's a stripped Palmetto upper, but inside it is a BCM BCG/Bolt, Noveske 16" 300BLK stainless barrel. YHM QD suppressor mount/muzzle brake. Midwest Industries Free-float rifle length rail. BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle. Aimpoint PRO is the chosen optic on that one. BCG/Bolt has been polished to be gentler on the brass (I reload), feed ramps have been blended and polished, and a few other touches were down on that one as well.

Now for 5 and 6, I'm still working out the details. But one of them is definitely going to be a Noveske barrelled 8.2" 300BLK, I gotta get my NFA cherry popped. :D

Thanks Brad!! I'm soaking up the info like a sponge. I might as well start my order for another stripped lower.

Agent T

Jul 9, 2012
    My 1st build too, so the more experianced guys may want to chime in, but I was thinking a 1:7 for a good workhorse rifle. Kinda like right in the middle as far as twist go. And I've heard that daniel Defense is a great company, also check out BCM.

Very True Mythical Sea Creature.. I Just checked out BCM 16 mids..Out of Stock for everything. Quality is good but i also need availability. :lol:

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Very True Mythical Sea Creature.. I Just checked out BCM 16 mids..Out of Stock for everything. Quality is good but i also need availability. :lol:

Sign up for email notifications, BCM usually gets some sort of upper receiver group in stock every week, and you have the option of getting the BCG and gunfighter charging handle as part of the package.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    BCM makes great stuff, but sometimes it's like chasing a unicorn when it comes to finding it (in stock).

But it's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom