• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    All went boom and the gun cycled. Good feeling. I believe its on the light side (book and feel). What's the best way to increase the powder? Is the only real way to measure the velocity?

Thanks.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    What are you loading for?

Yes you can measure velocity with a Chronograph.

9mm 115gr bullet. I don't have a Chronograph. Just wondering if that is really the way to do it. I guess I can borrow one.

Just realized you might mean purpose - just general target shooting. I'd like to make an accurate 25yd bullet.

Last edited:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    9mm 115gr bullet. I don't have a Chronograph. Just wondering if that is really the way to do it. I guess I can borrow one.

Just realized you might mean purpose - just general target shooting. I'd like to make an accurate 25yd bullet.

If your first loads were at minimum charge weight -then you can increase the powder charge....SLOWLY!

With a pistol round, you can do lots (not quantity, but groups of) of loads with an increase, or .10, or .20 grains of powder-but never over the max stated powder charge. Do not jump to higher amounts all at once. With each lot, inspect your cases for pressure signs. If there are signs of high pressure, then stop and do not proceed to a higher charge.

If you are loading for an accuracy round, you go with the powder charge that produces the tightest group. You really should be doing that test firing off a pistol rest, and not offhand. This helps reduce human errors (flinching, change of hold etc)

If you are loading for a specific velocity - your load data should give you what type of powder produces what velocity, and at what powder charge. This again should be worked up to that point, and checked for high pressure signs. A Chronograph would be the only true way of knowing what the velocity of ammo, in the gun that it is fired in, is.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Get a Good Reloading Manual ...Read It ...Pay Attention to Starting Loads/Weights...Go Up slow ...Watching for Signs Of Excess Preasure.

I got one. Not a fan of putting more powder until I see signs of excess pressure. :)

I think I'll go up a notch and then see how accurate they are. I don't need anything near the maximum pressure IMHO.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Congratulations.
    Your approach is reasonable. I stop adding powder when my load functions reliably in my pistol, which is usually well short of maximum.
    If I can hit a 3/4" paster most of the time at 7 yds I am happy.
    I haven't touched the powder adjustment for my 9mm 115 gr for 3 years.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom