• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Note to self: stay clear for Freedom Munitions ammo. The only remanufactured ammo that I shoot regularly is Georgia arms .38 special - never had a problem. But then again, I'm shooting it in a revolver.

I've shot a bunch of ammo from Georgia Arms, 9mm, .223, 10mm, and 44-40. Good stuff, not outrageously priced. I pick up at the Chantilly Gun Show. Canned Heat is the best value.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I've shot a bunch of ammo from Georgia Arms, 9mm, .223, 10mm, and 44-40. Good stuff, not outrageously priced. I pick up at the Chantilly Gun Show. Canned Heat is the best value.

That's were I get it too. Their .38sp wadcutters are super fun to shoot, they sell out every time, so I hit Chantilly on Friday afternoon and hit the GA table first, then browse for other stuff…

CaribooLou

Jan 18, 2013
    Loudoun County
    Geez, I'm glad no one was injured and good luck with your extractor!

Note to self: stay clear for Freedom Munitions ammo. The only remanufactured ammo that I shoot regularly is Georgia arms .38 special - never had a problem. But then again, I'm shooting it in a revolver.

FWIW I've shot 700 rounds of this same ammo through this pistol and about 400 or their 223 through my AR, this is the first issue I've ever had. I can't say that I wont give their new ammo another chance, I'm going to stay away from reloads through.

I was playing with it again tonight, if I move the slide back a tad more than a 16th of an inch it will fire, is that normal? I'm waiting for some parts to come in before I take it to the smith. First issue I've ever had with this pistol, it only has 800 rounds through it.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Freedom has problems? I've bought their new stuff for quite a while. Never had an issue. I will stay away from S&B and others, but love me some new freedom.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Freedom has problems? I've bought their new stuff for quite a while. Never had an issue. I will stay away from S&B and others, but love me some new freedom.

S&B? Really? Generally regarded as fine plinking ammo. I've had some low-powered boxes of FM 9mm, enough that I'll likely look elsewhere for my next few thousand rounds. At this point the savings of $25/thousand aren't worth it.

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I've had good luck with Freedom

I've run about 1K rounds of .45 ACP and another K of 9 MM from Freedom ammo. Frankly, I no longer pay much attention to whether it's new or remanufactured. All my guns seem to be happy with the stuff.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    I've run about 1K rounds of .45 ACP and another K of 9 MM from Freedom ammo. Frankly, I no longer pay much attention to whether it's new or remanufactured. All my guns seem to be happy with the stuff.

me as well, I shoot 9mm, 45, 5.56 from them all the time, have only had one or two FTF and only one light load in 1000s of rounds. I do check the rounds as i am loading, but have never seen anything out of the ordinary

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    S&B? Really? Generally regarded as fine plinking ammo. I've had some low-powered boxes of FM 9mm, enough that I'll likely look elsewhere for my next few thousand rounds. At this point the savings of $25/thousand aren't worth it.

Yes S&B (or herters, made by S&B). Never again. I had 5 broken shell casings from 357 mag in a Winchester 1873. Cabelas took all three boxes back and were pissed. I fired 17 rounds of it. never again!

CaribooLou

Jan 18, 2013
    Loudoun County
    Has anybody ever dealt with Freedom Munitions customer service? They haven't responded to my email, and the only number on their website is for sales.

vfr750f

Feb 2, 2008
    Has anybody ever dealt with Freedom Munitions customer service? They haven't responded to my email, and the only number on their website is for sales.

I emailed concerning the 9mm luger loaded in the 9mm Makarov case and they did respond with thanks for letting us know and to let them know if I found any other problems.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I emailed concerning the 9mm luger loaded in the 9mm Makarov case and they did respond with thanks for letting us know and to let them know if I found any other problems.

I guess that's the difference between a professional company and some hacks who make ammo. I had a box of CCI 9mm with poor crimp, they exchanged the entire box, no questions asked.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I've only used Freedom Munitions "new" ammo. I've fired thousands of rounds (9mm and 5.56) without a single problem.

ap1

Sep 6, 2014
    don't give up on factory reloads

I couldn't get it to fire out of battery, I'm thinking it was bad brass.

I think I'm done shooting reman ammo.

Many remanufactured brands shoot better than factory new...
    At TomkatAmmo, we inspect our components at every stage of
    the operation and each round gets gauged and a final visual...

This was probably just bad ammo, this one case probably took a couple of trips through the acid wash in the corner of a tumbler..... I have to ask, was it bargain basement stuff?
    A lot of shooters are shooting either foreign ammo or steel case stuff
    to save money. Why have a nice gun if you are going to feed it junk food?

I'm glad you were not hurt and I definitely wouldn't shoot that gun until
    a good gunsmith looked at it or you may even want to send it back to
    the factory...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    OOBs are usually the relm of blowback action guns, like .22s and some .380 and under pocket guns. I would look for another cause first. In fact all the ones I have seen over the years have been .22 rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom