• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csearly

Nov 20, 2011
    Hello folks!

I know that it has been some time since I have been active on the forum, and my sincerest apologies to all. To say that I have been busy would be like saying MSP Licensing Division needs more employees.

A great big thank you to the folks that I've had the pleasure of doing business with. Your support is needed and greatly appreciated!

So, along with working my regular day job, and starting a lucrative new business, and expecting my first born in 2 months, here is what else is new,....

Calvert County is getting a little bit closer to having it's own range!

Just to give you a little back info,... the Sheriff's office is in dire need of, and has been jockeying for it's own shooting facility, while at the same time, my partner and I have been doing a little political leg-work to make things happen for a public facility. Currently, the zoning regulations in Calvert are so draconian that it would make it nearly impossible for and type of shooting facility to be established. After some discussions with county commissioners, and personnel from Planning and Zoning, it looks as if these regulation will be changing to our benefit.

Last night my partner and I attended a meeting with the county planning committee with regards to a text change in the zoning regulations for shooting facilities. I won't clutter this post with all of the gory details, but at the end of the meeting we felt as though progress is being made. Albeit at a very slow pace.

The Board of Commissioners, Planning and Zoning, and the Planning Committee all seem to be in agreement that an indoor shooting facility is a pretty simple fix, and they all agree that changing the text of the zoning regulations to accommodate such a facility is easily agreed upon. The hang-up at this point is the outdoor shooting facilities, and more importantly than some other issues is the noise abatement of an outdoor facility.

There is a overwhelming lack of knowledge when it comes to governing entities making any decisions pertaining to firearms. While my partner and I were able to shed some light on the subject for the members of the planning committee, there is still a great gap that exists between where we currently stand and the end result of opening a public shooting facility.

That being said,... Free State Militia Firearms, and Lord Calvert Gunsmithing are committed to following this through. We understand that it will be a long hard road to follow, but we know how desperately needed this is. And though it may be some time between postings, please know that we will continue to work on this until we are either able to open a facility, or have exhausted every possible avenue attempting to do so.

Thanks for your support!
    Chuck Early
    Free State Militia Firearms

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Excellent news and great job, this project will be a much needed addition to our community.

Now I know why you didn't get to my email until today ;)

btw- It was a real pleasure meeting you today and I look forward to meeting up with you again.

krob

Oct 9, 2007
    bushwood md
    thanks for all your hard work im sure it will pay off in the end and im positive that we can keep you busy when you finally get it open

ED O

May 18, 2013
    Lusby
    I wish you well in this endeavor, I would love to have a range to shoot at here in the county.

ir0nw1l

Feb 6, 2013
    WV
    sounds fantastic! I have been wondering if there was a range near my in-laws. Now, I know there isn't one and to keep my eyes open. Now to get my FIL onto the band wagon!

NOBE shooter

Aug 12, 2013
    North Beach, MD
    Thanks for the post. I fully support a range. I like outdoor better, if the shooting positions are covered. Would it help to send correspondence to the commissioners/planning commission.

I happen to be involved in Calvert politics and I’d be happy to reach out to people to let them know my support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom