• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Just another transparent effort in a long list of things designed to make exercise of one's 2A rights as inconvenient and burdensome as possible, while still arguably constitutional.

The goal is neither safety nor reducing violence; it's control.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So, a "U" must always have an "A"...

No problem there...

But I'd want to get a better read of this law to see if there are other openings where "A" might be left open for future use.

Well then why doesn't a "U" mean what is indicated with the "A"? (thus no need for the additional code)

Since they tied the HQL to MVA for pictures... It's not a quantum leap for this data share. Maybe that backlog spread back in September among agencies was a trial run.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    This restriction, as currently implemented, has nothing to do with whether a person can lawfully purchase a firearm or not. It just prohibits someone from using a restricted license as an identifying document when purchasing a firearm. MVA hasn't necessarily been granted access to any additional information and they aren't necessarily making "prohibited person" type decisions.

From what I've read at other locations about this change, it's a consequence of the fact that Maryland will issue licenses to folks who aren't US citizens. This restriction is meant to tell people who see "Hey, this person isn't necessarily a US citizen".

Overall, I think this is pretty benign as currently implemented. (Well, aside from the fact that MD issues official documentation to people who are in the country illegally, but that's a whole other topic.) However, we all know how easily things can be twisted, abused, etc. so I think we should all watch this very closely.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    MVA would also already have access to the list of people currently identified as "habitual drunkards"

Already a prohibited class

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Impressive...so MVA is going to RETURN a SUSPENDED license "defaced" and they will mail an ID card?

MVA is at that point is essential breaking the law. It's illegal for the issued person to possess or display a suspended license. So unless there is a change in the LAW stating a "defaced" license is exempt MVA is actually allowing said person to violate the law.

Not you do not need to be operating a vehicle to get charged with presenting or possessing a suspended license.

Things that make you go hmmm.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    All I can say is WOW. This insanity has got to stop. Please tell me this is all a dream...

Jim Smith

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    This restriction, as currently implemented, has nothing to do with whether a person can lawfully purchase a firearm or not. It just prohibits someone from using a restricted license as an identifying document when purchasing a firearm. MVA hasn't necessarily been granted access to any additional information and they aren't necessarily making "prohibited person" type decisions.

From what I've read at other locations about this change, it's a consequence of the fact that Maryland will issue licenses to folks who aren't US citizens. This restriction is meant to tell people who see "Hey, this person isn't necessarily a US citizen".

Overall, I think this is pretty benign as currently implemented. (Well, aside from the fact that MD issues official documentation to people who are in the country illegally, but that's a whole other topic.) However, we all know how easily things can be twisted, abused, etc. so I think we should all watch this very closely.

You don't need to be a US citizen to purchase a firearm. This is because Md is issuing drivers licenses to people who cannot document that they are in this country or Md legally. But they'll still give them a drivers license.:sad20:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You don't need to be a US citizen to purchase a firearm. This is because Md is issuing drivers licenses to people who cannot document that they are in this country or Md legally. But they'll still give them a drivers license.:sad20:

Yeah because we issue licenses to people who aren't in the country legally (they say it makes our roads safer) they aren't valid for federal purposes, and since they aren't legal, they can't buy firearms.

This one is harmless.

And think about it, this is Maryland. They would NEVER "out" people who can't own firearms, that's an invasion of privacy. They would make the ones who want guns carry a scarlet letter on their license.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Nice to know that we will now be sharing the road "legally" with people who didn't give a flying f&%$ about breaking the law to get here....

There was a part A to this story ... we've been sharing the road with MD licensed illegals since 2009, all that is new is the firearms restriction

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom