Firearm History: Ever Heard Of The Colt OHWS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ninety9Soulz

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
    Feb 23, 2013
    Everyone here knows the HK MK 23. The pistol was submitted by Heckler & Koch for USSOCOM to be adopted for Special Forces. It passed the trial, was adopted, and the rest is history.

But the MK 23 had competition from Colt, who submitted the Colt OHWS(Offensive Handgun Weapon System). The Colt OHWS wasn't selected but was still interesting. It was based on the 1911 design, chambered in .45 ACP and used a FLUSH 10 round magazine. It also featured a threaded barrel and it's own unique LAM. The suppressor would actually attach to the frame rather than the barrel, and the gun operated as a double action. Mind you, this is early 90's Colt.

The pistol now stands as just a prototype. You really have to see the gun for yourself to truly appreciate it.

kimHcQX.jpg

OR70x42.jpg

xqrpsDk.jpg

z74axtr.jpg

li8ig81.jpg

XSDVRkb.jpg

vJVZ9xo.jpg

FH1zUK6.jpg

I find these types of prototypes very unique. No idea whether or not these are even in public circulation, couldn't find anything. Anyway, hope you guys find this as interesting as I did.

mrbule

Jan 12, 2010
    As long as that grip is it reminds me of a much older design that it actually is.
    Cool to see that they came up with something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom