• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3/2ACR Vet

Jul 6, 2012
    Baltimore City
    Wanted to get some opinion before I tried this.

I know from searching the forums that most people who tumble use cob or walnut media, or stainless steel.

Would a fine sand (NJ-60 type or sandbox sand) work?

The reason i ask is that I am trying to save money, and have access to free sand.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would get ground walnuts (or maybe it's corn cob, been a while for me) from the pet store. Really cheap that way.

The sand would be a nightmare in my opinion. Eat up your machine and I don't think you'll ever get it out of all the hoes so it will then eat up your dies. For many reasons I wouldn't try it. I like the shell or cob since they absorb the cleaning liquids and work well in my experience, been the standard for years.

I would tell someone I really hated to try sand.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    It might be too abrasive, and wear down your brass. This might be manageable, if you're careful not to tumble too long, though.

But, any particles left behind are going to scratch up and wear down your dies, too.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Sand is too hard and too abrasive for brass cleaning work, walnut is very cheap at harbor freight and corn cob is even cheaper yet from pet stores

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Media

I have found out through a friend who works for an industrial painting company that they use a lot of ground walnut media for blasting. He gave me a fifty pound bag and it is actually no different than the walnut media that is so expensive. With that said they have since moved to a smaller shop and no longer use it, I'm sure you could get it somewhere.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    The sand would be a nightmare in my opinion. Eat up your machine and I don't think you'll ever get it out of all the hoes so it will then eat up your dies. For many reasons I wouldn't try it. I like the shell or cob since they absorb the cleaning liquids and work well in my experience, been the standard for years.

I would tell someone I really hated to try sand.[/QUOTE]

He said get it out of your hoes......:D Sorry, I'm to childish for my own good!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One reason you clean cases to remove any sand residue to prevent damaging you dies.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Cheap may not be cheap in the long run if it kills your tumbler. $15 bucks for pet store lizard bedding is as cheap as you can get.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Wanted to get some opinion before I tried this.

I know from searching the forums that most people who tumble use cob or walnut media, or stainless steel.

Would a fine sand (NJ-60 type or sandbox sand) work?

The reason i ask is that I am trying to save money, and have access to free sand.

If cost really is an issue, I will provide you with enough walnut to fill your tumbler and get you going, just need to meet me to pick it up

vafish

Mar 13, 2012
    Commonwealth of Virginia

I would tell someone I really hated to try sand.

He said get it out of your hoes......:D Sorry, I'm to childish for my own good![/QUOTE]

If you ever had a hoe at the beach you would know how tough it is to get the sand out.

Yeah, im just as childish.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Haven't tried it yet, but another thread on another forum suggested rice. Apparently it does a pretty good job of cleaning and even gets the primer pockets clean.

Cheap, and available. Just don't boil it and eat it afterwards.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Word of caution on the corn cob pet bedding, as a tumbling media.

A few years ago, I tried this, thinking how awesome I was for saving a few bucks. And, although it was a little softer than regular tumbling media and thus took a bit longer, it did polish up the cases very nicely.

Here's the problem - the corn cob media that I found was just the PERFECT size to get jammed into small rifle primer pockets. It also had a tendency to get tightly packed inside .223 cases. I had to sit for a long time with a pick and a piece of wire, picking the media out of primer pockets, and trying to extricate the media that had jammed inside the cases.

I would recommend you try tumbling a few (maybe 20 or 30) cases first, to see if the corn cob bedding does the same, with whatever type of brass you're cleaning. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad with pistol cartrdges, or larger rifle cartridges. I ended up throwing my bedding media away, lesson learned.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You have to be careful which bedding you get.

I got a bag at the local pet store, but the pieces we a bit large. Large enough that some got stuck in .40 cases (bent one decapping pin).

I got another bag at Pet Smart, Kay Kob, that seems to be the right size. I will try it with some .223 next to see how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom